LegacyGT.com

STI swap lgt wagon

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I didn't see it anywhere.

I own a 2005 STI, and a 2005 legacy GT wagon. They're both awesome cars, but I don't care for paying for insurance on 3 cars. I also own a 1999 legacy L sedan as my "old faithful grocery getter.

I know it would be a lot of work, but what would be required to swap the power plant and drivetrain from the STI to the lgt? Wiring harness would likely need to be redone from the STI to handle the extra length. That's whatever. I'm talking engine, transmission, differentials, axles, hubs, everything. What parts wouldn't fit, what would?

If the thread exists please point me there. I haven't fully looked over at nabisco yet.

My understanding was the heads on the stinare different.

My legacy needs a new short block, so I figured if it has to come out anyway, may as well drop in the STI engine. Then my brain went, well, why not swap everything?

Do what I did, get a new ej257 short block to replace the ej255, I did have some porting done on my stock heads down in the valve pocket area, vf52 turbo with a great tune and Moore Performance Blast plates for the 5mt.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My sti does not hold it's value. 2005, 154k miles. blue books at 9700. ******* absurd. It's been for sale for over a month and I'll take what I owe on it, 11.5k. Nobody has bought it yet because the bank won't approve them for that much because the value is shit. Apparently the price ******* TANKS after 150k or something, I don't know but it's not worth what I owe.

I wanted to do the swap then part out the shell and the legacy parts I don't use.

I've decided none of it is worth it and I'll just rebuild the legacy engine and leave it stock. I'm done dumping money into cars. It's really not worth my time.

I'm confused, So lets get this straight.

The STI runs well ?

The GT wagon needs a short block ?

The 1999 runs well ?

The easy way out is put a ej257 short block in the wagon, and have the heads rebuilt as we've said.

If you don't have the funds right now, lower the insurance on it to the minimum and park it for a few weeks. May be lower the insurance on the STI too and park it till you save money.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

how much did the reworked heads cost?

It depends on what they need.

My heads were cheap because they didn't need any valves.

My understanding was the heads on the stinare different.

My legacy needs a new short block, so I figured if it has to come out anyway, may as well drop in the STI engine. Then my brain went, well, why not swap everything?

It's so annoying this falsehood gets perpetuated. Like idling diesels being 'good' :spin:.

04-06 STI & 05-06 LGT block and heads are identical.

EJ255 Version 1: Used in the 2005 and 2006 Legacy, as well as the 2004 and 2005 Forester. This engine uses the AB440 shortblock, which is the same shortblock as the 2004-2006 STI EJ257. The heads on these EJ255 are the AB650s, while the US 04-06 STI is the familiar AB640/910. The cams are the same between the EJ255 Version 1 and the EJ257.

The same shortblock as EJ255 except the EJ255 has a different dished piston vs the EJ257. The heads also have different components. Subaru of America designates the same part numbers for an EJ255 shortblock, and EJ257 shortblock with the exception of the pistons.

I've done a lot of reading and reserch on the matter now.

100% pointless to swap STI parts. Brakes won't fit. Suspension wony fit. Transmission will fit, but it'll take a shit load of work and money.

I also found out that my longblock is the exact same as the STI. I have a spare vf39 lying around that I may put into it when I get a FMIC.

Thanks everyone for your input. I've learned a lot and still have a lot to learn.

i'm aware of the intake manifold difference. i mean, i own both cars and i've spent hours upon hours under and above both. Apparently subaru's hate me and like me ripping into them every ******* weekend. I'm almost ready to light them both on fire.

I'd get the racerx fmic that comes with the adapter for the sti turbo or the lgt turbo. That kit is badass and if i wasn't as broke as i am i'd have it already.

Archived