LegacyGT.com

Questions About Replacing Stereo & Navigation

I bought a 2014 Legacy Premium with Navigation. I want to install a Pioneer Double Din i already have. I want to uninstall factory radio & navigation. What is needed to do it, or is it possible? I purchased a used stereo facia bezel without navigation. If this was non navigation i wouldn't even have to ask, but the navigation makes it harder. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sorry for so many questions. So can it be done, or not? Never been this frustrated with a car stereo install before. I don't want to keep putting money at it, if it's not possible. I already have the Pioneer Double Din, facia without navigation & ordered the radio extension plug in cable. Will the dash kit you posted work with my 14 Legacy Premium with Navigation. The one comment the guy said in his 11 Forrester he had to cut a plastic bar, to get it to work. As far as i know i just have the navigation, no harmon kardon stuff. Thanks

After doing some more research, this is what i found. The stock bezel without navigation opening is way to big, but it does have the fastening clips & would work if you would cut a sheet of plastic & put behind it. The Kit NVA Keith posted above is what i wish i would have known about before getting facia without nav. But, while looking on ebay i found this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-Radio-Add-A-Subwoofer-Amplifier-Plug-and-Play-Harness-Fits-Nissan-Subaru/133046421501?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 . Eventually i will swap out factory radio & navigation, but for the time i think this will work for now. Thanks

NVAKeith, so you are saying i need both pieces you provided links to? Also having trouble finding the right wiring harness, almost all i have seen are for non navigation. Also if anyone knows the steering wheel control bypass please post the link, am not finding it anywhere i have looked. Thanks

Unfortunately Crutchfield doesn’t offer anything for you because of the buttons located underneath the screen, but they do offer the harnesses you would need. You could try to get a trim piece with the storage pocket and a mounting kit for double din. The mounting Is the same for the radios. Edited by TRBOLGT

Went to Crutchfield, this is the only connector they show for a legacy premium with navigation.

Metra 70-8902 Receiver Wiring Harness

Connect a new car stereo in select 2012-up Subaru vehicles with Harman Kardon system

As far as i know i don't have a Harmon Kardon system, i already swapped the door speakers & they were factory, also i have not seen any amp. Does anyone know where the amp is, so i can look? Sorry for so many questions, but i just don't want to keep ordering stuff that wont work. Thanks

Just looked mine has neither an amp in that location & no markings for HK on covers. They were factory speakers when i swapped them out. I just need the right connector & steering wheel controls, that is what i'm having trouble finding. I will order the above installation kits & hopefully they will work. Thanks, any help is appreciated.

I did it..It was in a post a few months ago. In January 2019 metra released a kit for the nav system. The only difference is the wiring harness called out. The non nav called 70-7552, the nav requires 70-7553. The 70-7553 works with premium sound systems (H/K and others)

A car with factory navigation comes with the HK system automatically.

Steering wheel controls are ASWC-1, purchased via metra

Go to metraonline.com put in your cars configuration and it'll give you everything you need. Or PM me and i'll give you the list.

0309190900.thumb.jpg.a24270775e03304781b19016031d67aa.jpg

0925190720.thumb.jpg.165775503411baa0c9fb12afd31c3051.jpg

Edited by Golferdude1087

I had the non nav HK system and replaced it with the Alpine INE 960 nav head unit. I ordered everything from Crutchfield and it all worked well. The only thing that did not work was the steering wheel control adapter. The first one did not work and I called Crutchfields support and they could not get it to work. They sent me a second one and could not get that one to work either.

Anyone have the same problem with the steering wheel adapter or did it work like it was supposed to?

I had the non nav HK system and replaced it with the Alpine INE 960 nav head unit. I ordered everything from Crutchfield and it all worked well. The only thing that did not work was the steering wheel control adapter. The first one did not work and I called Crutchfields support and they could not get it to work. They sent me a second one and could not get that one to work either.

Anyone have the same problem with the steering wheel adapter or did it work like it was supposed to?

Did you try the ASWC-1 from metra? It works flawlessly with mine

I did it..It was in a post a few months ago. In January 2019 metra released a kit for the nav system. The only difference is the wiring harness called out. The non nav called 70-7552, the nav requires 70-7553. The 70-7553 works with premium sound systems (H/K and others)

A car with factory navigation comes with the HK system automatically.

Steering wheel controls are ASWC-1, purchased via metra

Go to metraonline.com put in your cars configuration and it'll give you everything you need. Or PM me and i'll give you the list.

Did you do a write-up or take any photos during the install? I did a stereo in my old car so I'm assuming a similar process, but it didnt have a back-up cam, amp, or steering controls so I'm timidly approaching this one.

Cheers.

Yes. That is the one Crutchfield sells. They even had me connect it to the computer to reset it and program it for my specific head unit.

Could you provide any more info on integrating your camera? Is the factory camera not just a single 3.5 mm aux jack you would install directly into the rear of the aftermarket stereo?

edit: Not trying to hijack your thread schrack, I'm just super interested in ripping that goddamn nav system out as well and have an ATOTO I installed 5 months ago in my old legacy I'd love to swap in.

Edited by BonfaciosCuredMeats

I would just like to know if the cable i mentioned above will work, or what will work to retain back up camera. Also more info on hooking up the ASWC-1 & reprograming it, would be useful. Never could get my girl friends programmed right for her 05 Impala. Thought about also just buying a new Pioneer DD, with back up & blue tooth to avoid all this connector & questions. Thanks