LegacyGT.com

How To: Replace/Rebuild torn CV boot and/or Axle

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The clamps don't come loose, the rubber shrinks and also goes soft.

Subaru is now making the front inner boots in a "Kit", it contains the boot, two OEM clips, the large wire clip, the clip on the shaft and the grease.

The OEM clips are VERY tight on a new boot, actually quite hard to fold over.

Various tips like remember to put the new small clip on the shaft before the boot.

The tripod bearing holder has a chamfer on one side to assist it sliding on.

Put the clips on so the direction of rotation has the clip arms trailing.

It's now been 3 years and ~35k on a cheap reman axle. I think I need to replace it (vibration and noise -- not clicking, but some kind of knocking under acceleration).

---> What is the top 5 brands you guys think we can safely rely on?

Any suggestions? From what I have read in this thread and others, I see the following:

OEM but $$$$

reman OEM from Subie dealers (somewhat $$)

Raxles (don't know price since you have to call them to get a quote. my guess is $$$$)

FEQ maybe? ($)

Autozone reman

Cardone reman (rockauto)

advanced auto (forget their brand but most likely reman)

napa (have not checked)

pepboys (have not checked yet)

Any others?

shipped and no core return?
hmm, they said $199.99 ($279.99 non-oem trade in) and $59.99 for shipping to portland (from florida). not sure about core or if they'd even sell one without a return core. prepaid return label too. so $$$, but for a good axle, kinda worth it depending on what you think of your car. also lifetime warranty.

autozone has been a huge crapshoot for me.

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Get a hold of a WorldPac dealer. They basically stock Car Quest stores. But they have offerings for pros that they dont normally sell at the auto parts stores. They have FEQ build replacement axles and heavy duty replacement axles for the cars (to their specs). I sold and installed soooo many I lost count. But, I can not remeber needing any warranty replacements either. Prices are VERY competative.

I have not used any FEQ reman axles. I have used plenty of O'Reilly and Autozone reman axles. I would say 90% of them worked just fine (when you got the right part delivered which might only be 70%). This is of course in So Cal where the weather is rather mild and cars dont encounter road salts.

I had FAR better results with the standard and heavy duty replacement axles provided by WorldPac.

FWIW, see post #1391 here, great pictures on rebooting the axle.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/covertrussians-05-lgt-build-thread-218363p35.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

^Problem is I do need to change the axle. I always favor rebooting the axle as well. But this time, this no name brand axle I installed 3 years ago is now trash. Makes noise under acceleration and I am pretty sure it is the source of vibration under acceleration.

I thought about that as well, but even the OEM ones get worn out. So, it's a bit of a gamble really. For instance, I had an OEM one which started clicking on hard turns. And the crazy thing is that it did not loose any grease and boot was basically fine. Just worn out.

I went ahead and bought a 'new' FEQ axle. we shall see how it goes. I sure hope I'll get zero vibrations out of it.

Just ship the car to me and forget about all your Subie worries.

My new standard answer for how to fix your LGT, just ship it to me.

Man, it's funny cause I ordered that FEQ axle from a website which I have never used before (Auto Parts Warehouse). Now I just received a UPS notification that a package is arriving from Worldpac, which is what you advised to use! :spin:

Man, it's funny cause I ordered that FEQ axle from a website which I have never used before (Auto Parts Warehouse). Now I just received a UPS notification that a package is arriving from Worldpac, which is what you advised to use! :spin:

LOL.:lol:

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this thread. 2nd time referring to it. I had a leaky boot and replaced the axle with a Surtrack that still has the C clip at the end. 15k miles and it's making noise. I cleaned and rebooted my original axle.

Now I can't seem to get the Surtrack out of the tranny. Maybe I need to wedge a bigger screw driver/pry bar between the tranny/green cup on axle?? Any other suggestions.

Edit: Got the axle out, but have another issue.

Edited by gimpydingo

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have any experience with Detroit Axle CV Axles? Link here

Pretty affordable and I've had a positive experience with their wheel bearings (15k on the front left hub and still going strong)

Also: I know some people have had good luck in the past with the AutoZone 7336 remanufactures, however looking at their site it seems like they are no longer available.

However, they do have new axles with the part number 7336N. Anyone have experience with the brand new version?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I have a 2007 Spec B with 170k on it, according to the OP when he poped the cv out of the diff tran fluid came out? Also to be mindful of the oil seal, with my milage so I replace the seal for good measure and is it possible for the trans to completely drain with the removal. I'm no newb, im just used to working on Impreza with the pins thru the cv's, theses legacys are a whole nother beast. Esp the Spec B's its the 6MT.

Thank you for any all support!