LegacyGT.com

CNT TMIC????? (not the PW style)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That intercooler is made by the EXACT same people that make the Perrin, the Torque Solutions, and the IPR. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. An intercooler is nothing but a big heater core and if the intake air can pass through it and the atmosphere air to cool it can pass through it, it will work. The plate and fin design of this is exactly the same as the PW, Grimmspeed, Racer X, and any other plate and fin intercooler. This core comes in bulk and the various manufacturers purchase it, have their tanks welded on to the ends, and then you have what you have.

I've installed a number of these in various flavors and I have a Perrin on my own car. These require a bit of work to make sure they fit correctly and you should use the Mr. Gasket 738G (pictured) on the turbo end and a good intercooler to TB hose, you'll be fine. If you take your time and work carefully for the initial fit, it will be just fine. You'll have to open up a couple of holes on the end mount by the throttle body and replace turbo to TMIC bolts with socket head cap screws.

1161969836_Mr.GasketReusableWOgasket.thumb.jpg.266d72f2b71824ff38d0f0ee2b0e074a.jpg

That intercooler is made by the EXACT same people that make the Perrin, the Torque Solutions, and the IPR. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. An intercooler is nothing but a big heater core and if the intake air can pass through it and the atmosphere air to cool it can pass through it, it will work.

Yea, most of it comes from the same factories. The main downside to this style of intercooler, IMO, is a greater tendency to heat soak.

The plate and fin design of this is exactly the same as the PW, Grimmspeed, Racer X, and any other plate and fin intercooler. This core comes in bulk and the various manufacturers purchase it, have their tanks welded on to the ends, and then you have what you have.

But I'm not sure that CNT, Perrin, IPR, AVO, Torque Solutions, PW, GS, and Racer X are all using the same suppliers for their bar & plate cores. At least, there are differences in design, spacing, fin density, etc for sure...

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

I was asking myself the same question, they have a really good priced DP with decent reviews i was ho[ping their TMIC would be about on par.

The downpipes are decent for the price. I had alittle trouble getting it to fit on my car but otherwise its working out pretty good. I would go for the grimmspeed personally if and when i decide to upgrade. For a few hundred more dollars the size and fitment would be worth the extra money

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

I appreciate all the input. For my purposes I don't have an interest in a FMIC. I would like some improvement at the stock location and some assurance against the leakage we see in the stock design. What I don't want to do is pay for an aftermarket piece that underperforms the stock unit on flow and heat transfer efficiency. It seems like this unit should outperform the stock unit but I have been shocked by the assertions I have read on that these bar and plate designs sometimes seem to be less efficient than the stock TMIC.

Anyone have any thoughts on the addition of a high performance heat transfer coating to these TMICs? A link to some hard data would be even better.

ss

Engineering Explained did a video on intercooler theory
a while ago. While a TMIC like this might be a little better than stock, you do lose some of your gains because of increased heat transfer through the metal end tanks.
I put something here like all the cool people, except there's nothing cool to put here.

Engineering Explained did a video on intercooler theory
a while ago. While a TMIC like this might be a little better than stock, you do lose some of your gains because of increased heat transfer through the metal end tanks.

Hmmmmm, greater heat transfer through the end tanks will mean greater heat removed from the intake aircharge ASSUMING the inbound and outbound aircharge temps exceed ambient and static engine compartment temp. Meaning heat always moves to areas with lesser heat. If the end tanks are aluminum vs the stock plastic(with aluminum being a superior heat transfer material) and if the above suppositions are correct, aluminum end tanks will provide more heat removal from the intake air charge.

Viewing the video you linked they were citing a temp delta across some intercooler X at 100c or 180F of delta. I feel that the intake air charge arriving at the inbound intercooler end tank is generally going to exceed ambient engine compartment temp by a wide margin and even wider if the vehicle is experiencing any kind of forward velocity as the engine compartment air will rapidly approach outside air temp under those conditions due to air exchange. The outbound air charge temp from the intercooler to the outbound end tank would be a more interesting discussion. I still doubt the outbound charge charge from the intercooler would generally be less than average engine compartment temp but I would sure like to see some hard numbers there. You are starting with compressed(heated) air blown past a superheated turbocharger body versus the overall heat removal capacity of the inbound end tank and the main body of the intercooler. It will come down to the hard numbers. I'd like to see some hard numbers if they exist.

Those are my thoughts anyway.

ss

I seem to remember about 10 years ago my son called me and said the IAT on the Civic with the big fmic was reading just a little over ambient air temp on a 95F day when he was driving to the Drag Strip on the Mass Pike going to Lebanon Valley.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

We are running a grimmspeed sale right now, shoot us a PM for the best tmic on the market for these cars!

-Brian

Went to what I think is your website and found five intercoolers - 3 Perrins, and Avo and a PW - no GS.

http://www.tuningalliance.com/searchResults.php?query=&cat_id=16&mfr_id=

Max that does look nice. Did you modify the hood vent to take care of the increased width?

ss

PM Brian from his post. Mike is busy with life and Tunes but can get you any part you need or want, just ask.

The GS comes with the splitter to mate it to the hood.

I told Matt at Grimmspeed last year and Paul this past Sunday at the WBM, that I learned to put the silicone hoses on the intercooler and let it sit in the hot shed for a day. When it came time to drop the tmic into the hose off the TB it was a piece of cake. I had a had time getting the first tmic into that hose. But the wagon's just dropped right in after it get shaped to the bung.

Went to what I think is your website and found five intercoolers - 3 Perrins, and Avo and a PW - no GS.

http://www.tuningalliance.com/searchResults.php?query=&cat_id=16&mfr_id=

Max that does look nice. Did you modify the hood vent to take care of the increased width?

ss

Our website is currently mid re-design so whats up there isnt updated.

Grimmspeed TMIC I can sell you for 832.50 shipped! Send us a pm if you're interested and we can do it all via paypal invoices.

-Brian

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You should switch the intercoolers. Black on the black wagon. Silver on the Silver Spec.B. Everything would match.

Do notice a difference between the thermal coating and not having it?

No, I don't notice a difference, but then again, I don't monitor that.

I trust the science.

I would have gotten the wagons coated but when the deal came up that wasn't an option.

The Spec's came from the first GB from GS.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked one up recently. Have stock TMIC on 115k miles and a VF52 plus supporting mods are getting installed and tuned for in a couple weeks. So took a chance on this, hearing it was pretty similar to a Perrin for half the price.

I'll let you know if the tuners have any problems installing it. They didn't really want to install a CNT but agreed to at least attempt it for me.

Here's some photos. So far I haven't noticed anything obviously wrong with it. The finish could be smoother on the turbo side. Ordered a Mr Gasket 738G to go there, thanks for the suggestion above.

http://lebanoncampground.com/img/CNT1.jpghttp://lebanoncampground.com/img/CNT2.jpghttp://lebanoncampground.com/img/CNT3.jpghttp://lebanoncampground.com/img/CNT4.jpg

I have found it easier to leave the turbo loose on the up pipe when installing those type tmic's. It allows the turbo to align with the tmic and TB.

Good to know. Work is being done by Bren so I think I'll have one happy car afterwards. They said these TMIC are a pain to install but were confident it would happen. If somehow it can't be installed I have only the TMIC and me rolling the dice on a knock-off to blame.

• 2 weeks later...
Any update on this?

Seems like a really good option if it isn't a complete box of failure and sadness.

Car is going in for work on Tuesday, should be ready Friday if everything goes according to plan.

I'll report back with whatever new info I have as well as hopefully a photo of one of these actually installed in a vehicle :lol:

Archived