LegacyGT.com

Subaru Lego & Outb Recall 2005-2008

Hey everyone,

In case anyone hasn't gotten word yet. Subaru issued a recall on airbags for our Legacy's and Outbacks 2005-2008

You can check if your car is effected here http://www.subaru.com/vehicle-recalls.html

------------------------------------------------------------------

From Subaru;

Date of Issue: December 18, 2015

Description

Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is recalling certain 2004-2005 model year Impreza (including WRX/STI) vehicles, 2003-2004 Baja vehicles, and 2003-2008 Legacy and Outback vehicles to replace the front passenger air bag inflator. Upon deployment of the passenger side frontal air bag, excessive internal pressure may cause the inflator to rupture.

Safety Risk

In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the passenger side frontal air bag, the inflator could rupture with metal fragments striking the vehicle occupants potentially resulting in serious injury or death.

Remedy

Subaru will notify their owners and Saab owners will be notified by General Motors. Dealers will replace the passenger air bag inflator, free of charge. Owners may contact Subaru at 1-800-782-2783. Owners of Saab vehicles should call toll-free 1-800-955-9007. Subaru's number for this recall is WQR-53.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to Chris GTO TT for mentioning it in the What Did You Do thread.

_------------------------------------------------------------------_

Make sure to call in to the dealership and verify that the part is in stock. Some have it in, most do not. Scheduling service online will not order the part if it isn't in stock.

Someone/everyone please ask the service manager if they can fix the dash rattle caused by the fastner in the right front corner by the A pillar while in there, and let us all know if they can.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Should take about 1 hour & 45 minutes to fix our Legacy/Outbacks ---> Some dealers reporting that it will take around 5 hours, they will need to remove the full dash to get to airbag.

Thanks I3eXa

FAQs here: http://www.wqr53.service-campaign.com/

Thanks Jaybird2013

---------------------

We have numerous reports that the dealerships break stuff removing the dash, messing up lighting and cutting cords.

Before going in for the recall, take a picture of the dash, working lights & ect. You may also want to have something with the current date on it, so they can't say the picture was taken years ago.

Also take a picture of the mileage. as they seem to be joy riding and adding 100 miles to the car

thanks Max Capacity

------

Late Sept 2016;

Subaru began sending out reminder letters. Claims to now have sufficient stock

ThanksHorm2124

So if you get a second letter, there has not been a recall on the replaced air-bags

More info will be added as it comes.

Thank you,

Frank

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the heads up, looks like my legacy is affected too. Do you guys know what's involved in the bag replacement, full dash removal? I just installed an oil pressure gauge and not sure I want them digging around it too much.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

subbed.. something is rattling badly in that specific area that started a few weeks ago.

That is probably the plastic anchors that hold the dash to the firewall that are broken. Common problem and a guy here makes a dash rattle stopper 3D printed piece to help fix it. Hopefully this recall will replace those broken anchor pieces too!

Just curious, has anyone put entered the vin and not needed the repairs? Mine just said incomplete, which I'm interpreting as I need to make the appointment. What does it say if you don't need it?

If your car isn't in the recall then there shouldn't be an open recall for it. If you are seeing incomplete than it means you have an open recall and it hasn't been addressed yet.

Sent from somewhere in Potatoland

When I talk to the Service Manager at my local dealership, I'll be sure and ask about fixing the dash rattle if they are going in that deep.

Mine just began to rattle by the A pillar a few weeks back too.

As a side note, When we had our new Outback in to have them check the oil and coolant level, the Service Manager say's to me, Hey, aren't you the guy with the black wagon and the Spec B ? I hadn't realized I was that memorable. Last time I was in there was for the brake line recall.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Dropping it off this afternoon. Sounds like they happened to have a part in stock. Knowing this dealership, they might be about to install the same airbag.

See if you can find out how deep they have to go into the Dash ? Did they give you an idea how long it would take ?

hose of us with Dash rattles would like to have them fix that if they are close to going in that deep.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I called Center Subaru in Torrington yesterday. They placed the order for the replacement parts, told me that it will take about a week to come in,

and that they will give me a call as soon as it does.

Max, it's approximately an hour and 45 minute job, although I don't know how deep they go into the dash.

Here is a service bulletin with FAQ's on the recall:

http://www.wqr53.service-campaign.com/

Service guy asked if I was going to wait. I dropped it off at 1 and would be back around 515, mainly for work schedule than however long the process will take. I'll try to ask when I pick it up. Anyone have any other questions I might be able to get?

Local dealer had to order my parts, so I'm getting it done next week. If you can, ask them if the whole dash had to come off. I'm a little nervous about whats involved and that everything will get back together properly...

Also, as others have suggested, are there other maintenance items that could be easily knocked out during this recall work?

Can you of you guy's ask the service manager if they could reach the fastener that is causing the dash to rattle in the right front corner by the A pillar ?

I just got off the phone with my local Subaru Dealership, They did have to order the part. So don't just schedule online. I was given no ETA on when the part will be in, but they will call.

Sean in Parts told me that there was a national backorder.

Adding new info to the original post.

Dropped mine off a few hours ago. Said it would take roughly 5hours to do it all and they do have to pull the dash. Didn't have any loaner subarus so they sent me across the street to their sister toyota dealer....stuck with a gay corolla :(

edit....just got a call from them. They don't even have the part and it isn't available for my car yet so they can't do anything yet.

GAY GAY GAY!

Dropped mine off a few hours ago. Said it would take roughly 5hours to do it all and they do have to pull the dash. Didn't have any loaner subarus so they sent me across the street to their sister toyota dealer....stuck with a gay corolla :(

edit....just got a call from them. They don't even have the part and it isn't available for my car yet so they can't do anything yet.

GAY GAY GAY!

At least it wasn't a Prius :lol:

Archived