LegacyGT.com

Metallic Rattling Drivers Side Rear Wheel Well

I have about 4000 miles on my 2018 Legacy 3.6R and it has just started having an issue with intermittent rattling / clinking noise coming from the drivers side rear wheel well. I have it at the dealer but they are having trouble isolating the noise because it is intermittent. Oddly enough, it seems to disappear when its raining outside.

I am pretty ticked off because they keep telling me to just bring is back because they have no loaners, but I am not going to drive a vehicle that could have a potential safety issue.

I am putting the links to the youtube videos I uploaded of the problem. Has anyone had this same issue or know of how to resolve it?

We have already removed everything from the trunk including the spare tire and associated tools..

Thanks everyone!

Video 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uhZwLjSDh4

Video 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U8NvgeP5ic

I had a rattle a few months ago in the same area. I couldn't watch your videos, so not sure if the noise is the same. But mine was due to a loose bolt (top) holding the rear seat's side bolster in place. I just folded down the seat, removed some of the trunk cover out of the way, and tightened the bolt. Noise went away.

Its a quick fix so maybe worth taking a look. You can check by folding that seat down and moving the side bolster back and forth to see if it recreates that noise.

I've got something more of a whistling noise on my 2015 2.5i when i go over bumps that extend the shocks and then compresses the shock again. I think it's the front right of the car, my wife says she thinks it's metal on metal. Anyone have anything like this happening? I'm taking my car into the dealer on Friday for the 36,000mi check, which includes suspension so we'll see what they say.

I figured out my issue. Dealer thought it was the center console where the sunglasses go, so they added some anti friction tape in there. Turns out it's actually my driver's seat that's the issue! The right bolster squeaks every time i go over bumps that either shift my weight forward or to the side. Now I need to figure out how to get in there and put some tape over the clips so they stop making that awful noise!

Turns out it's actually my driver's seat that's the issue! The right bolster squeaks every time i go over bumps that either shift my weight forward or to the side.

There have been occasional reports of cracked seat frames. You might want to ask your dealer to check.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

So my car has been to the dealer about 4 times for this issue and the techs have adjusted the tail light, and tightened the BSM sensor, but the noise still persists. I’ve been told some suspension noise is normal (I agree), but this feels excessive..

Odd thing is that the noise seems to vanish when it has just rained, and also when someone heavier than 170 pounds is sitting in the back.

I’ve traced the noise and it seems to definitely be coming from the wheel well area. I asked the tech if it could be the shocks, but he couldn’t say for certain since he couldn’t trace the noise..

I’ve called SOA today and asked them to repurchase / replace the vehicle because there seems to be ongoing issues they cannot resolve. First issue was the TPMS control module failing, and now rattling noises and it’s only got 4400 miles..

Here’s another video of how loud it is inside the cabin:

https://youtu.be/R2otcYagMms

I’ve called SOA today and asked them to repurchase / replace the vehicle because there seems to be ongoing issues they cannot resolve. First issue was the TPMS control module failing, and now rattling noises and it’s only got 4400 miles

Good luck with that as rattles and squeaks are not covered under a Lemon Law. If the TPMS issue was fixed you have no leg to stand on there either as most LL require multiple failures of the exact same issue that were not able to be repaired to even start to qualify. Rattling noises are not considered to be an issue and Subaru will tear your car apart first before even considering for a second to replace it. Keep us posted but I, for one, am not optimistic for you regarding getting a replacement.

Maybe it's me but I can't hear a thing rattling in your YouTube post...just road noise

I have the rattle as well on my 2018 and the dealership I went to said they don't hear it. I usually play music or listen to sports talk so it doesn't bother me too much.

It seems some things on the rear suspension were changed in the 2018 and maybe this may be causing the noises?

mu175mo.jpg

I have the rattle as well on my 2018 and the dealership I went to said they don't hear it. I usually play music or listen to sports talk so it doesn't bother me too much.

It seems some things on the rear suspension were changed in the 2018 and maybe this may be causing the noises?

mu175mo.jpg

That’s odd. Is yours a metallic tapping noise too? I usually drive through my route with low volume music or none at all because of the multiple residential neighborhoods with kids, and railroad crossings so it’s very bothersome.

I’ve figured out how to reproduce the issue by pushing down on the rear bumper, and seems to be from that drivers side rear shock. The left side isn’t doing it.

All I want is for them to fix the issue. None of the other 2017 & 2018 Subarus in my household do this, so I don’t think it’s really “normal”.

I was going to say the same thing in regards to reproducing it. I need to push on inside of the trunk and it makes the noise. I may go back and show them this and see what they say. They will most likely replace it instead of trying to fix it. My sound comes from the rear right near the gas cap.

Good luck with that as rattles and squeaks are not covered under a Lemon Law. If the TPMS issue was fixed you have no leg to stand on there either as most LL require multiple failures of the exact same issue that were not able to be repaired to even start to qualify. Rattling noises are not considered to be an issue and Subaru will tear your car apart first before even considering for a second to replace it. Keep us posted but I, for one, am not optimistic for you regarding getting a replacement.

Maybe it's me but I can't hear a thing rattling in your YouTube post...just road noise

If they are willing to tear my car apart and remedy the issue, then I’m all for it. I’ve seemingly narrowed it down to a “suspension” issue, which is concerning, but at least I can reproduce it now.

There are seemingly two distinct noises coming from the suspension when you push down on the trunk.

In the first part of the video you can hear the metallic “ticking” noise, and then outside the suspension is making some weird squeaking noise you’d expect on a 95” F150..

https://youtu.be/XW4qt75ZwHg

I have a similar issue with my 2017 Legacy. sounds like the exhaust is rattling, but its not. Only happens when the car is parked and even then it will go away. Its weird, was going to take it to the dealership but I know the answer "We dont hear it"

• 1 month later...

Archived