LegacyGT.com

rough idle when radiator fan kicks on

Plugs might have the wrong gap. Could also be a dirty MAF sensor or a number of other items. I would start with the easy job. Clean your MAF sensor and make sure your air filter doesn't need replaced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

MAF has been cleaned, it was dirty but still -- if the fan kicks on, idles really rough, when the fan isn't running, smooth.

It's like the fan gets the load on the alternator and a miss develops. No Check Engine Light though. All times the driving is smooth. Idle is smooth just idle when the fan kicks in causes a problem. MPG is the same as always. 550 km per tank.

I just replaced my Intake Manifold to TGV gaskets and it fixed the problem for me. The car isn't just reacting to the load from the fans, likely what is happening is that the AC is coming on which at low vehicle speeds also kicks the fans on. Hopefully my problem is fixed for good with the new gaskets.

Did you replace the plugs with OEM plugs, or something different? Since it started after you changed your plugs, I'm guessing it's related. You can have your alternator checked out as well. Hard to say, but I would have your alternator looked at.

How do I do that? I have disconnected the battery for sometime -- didn't help, just got the seatbelt chime going again!

The idle is bad for a while after you have disconnected the battery. It requires a few cold to warm cycles to really re-learn.

453747.png

How do I do that? I have disconnected the battery for sometime -- didn't help, just got the seatbelt chime going again!

Car on, turn all things off. Unplug battery. Tap brake pedal to drain system. Wait 5 min. Re connect battery. Turn key to acc mode, wait 30 seconds and then start. Let idle till fans kick in 2 times. Turn car off. Wait 1 minute and start car. Then drive for a bit. Should have short term idle learn and will improve with time. Assuming something with the learning idle is wrong.

Archived