LegacyGT.com

Top mount/front mount intercooler? Which is best

FMIC is better but more money and work to install.

Most of us go with a tmic.

Grimspeed is making a new one for us, see the thread in the Turbo Powertrain forum.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Depends what your goals are. If you plan on a light stage 3 (16G or vf52) you can stick with a tmic. Pretty much anything around 350whp is fine with a tmic. If you are looking to do dumb things and build a monster, FMIC all the way. Just make sure to use good t-bolt clamps.

Everyone please just calm down...

...and click the link in my signature :lol:

Or do meth.

These are valid answers within this thread. Essentially OP - provide more information. Pros/cons to either and really depends on current and future plans for power.

I am speaking purely on my butt dyno. I should put a disclaimer in my sig that I am a huge moron and in no way a expert.

except you have no sig, because not a donator to the site

has this place not saved you at least $30.00 yet

BP the TMIC before it fails

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

Most fmic you also need an after market intake. Fmic are usually better at cooling and less heat soak but not a fan of the look on this car, gets more attention, more expensive and more work.

Tmic keeps it looking oem, no added lag at all and very easy install.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

If you don't have a big pump (heheh...he said pump), then go with a TMIC. Personally, at least based on the physics of the distance versus the tubing diameter, I think that having to push the air that far tends to lose a bit of boost pressure just in the distance from the turbo to the intake, even with no boost leaks. You are also pushing the air down and across and then up and around a lot of curves. The quickest trip from point A to point B is the straightest line. Only actually one curve on the TMIC-into the throttle body.

I have ridden in a couple of cars that have FMIC with a smallish turbo and they seemed to lag more for spool than the same types of mods with TMIC. If you're going big on the turbo, then you're also going big on the fuel system and ignition and then I think that the FMIC would be the best bet for more complete intake charge cooling.

Archived