LegacyGT.com

Vent Boost Gauge (Digital Led Bars & numerics)

lossol

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man thought I posted this already...guess I just previewed it...anyway

this would be awesome as a wideband

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/images/programmer_analog_screen.jpg

YES! Thats what I was wondering, I was thinking LC-1 Style input computability. Should I be considering other devices?

Is there any way you could have the bar graphs represent boost, and the numeric display wideband?

Yes, keep the feature requests coming, I think this could be an option...

So excuse me for not having a clue but... does the wideband move while boosting, aka you would rather see (in numerics) afr while boosting rather than boost PSI?

Thanks for the input

VBG1 gauges available at www.gtboostgauge.com

AFR is important and yes it changes. Once you have boost locked down, it does not change much unless you develop a leak. AFRs can change for a number of issues. I think they are both important, but you don't need to see them both at the same time.

The LC-1 has a 2 conductor male headphone jack output. I am sure you would be able to put a right angle PCB mounted headphone jack on this guy. The pins would be the communication lines in the RS232. I think its 2 conductor, but I guess it could be 3.

The other option is to use the modifiable analog output which might be easier... actually that is the better option because it still allows the user to also log over RS232. Just set the 0-5V scale permenantly and tell the LC-1 owners what output they should program into the LC-1.

Edited by CasopoliS

Hey CasopoliS thanks for the info. I think this feature will definitely be included. I Agree, I will opt for the analog voltage, which looks like is configurable in the LC-1. Perfect.

Wanted to post some pictures of the current prototype so you all could understand how this thing is installed.

You will have to remove two vent louvers and then pop the pcb in. The PCB has tabs that fit where the louvers were removed.

I want this thing to look...well perfect...so I'm running another re-design. you will notice on the first go-around all the leds and chips were on the front of the pcb. This isn't ideal for a flush mount smoked window. So this next run I'm rear mounting all the components.

This should allow for a nice clean look to the front of the display.

Current features:

Peak and hold option

Programmable hold time

Peak and hold history

Programmable Boost alarm

Wideband display (LC-1 compatible)

DSC05144.thumb.jpg.1cb695ed3874a6f0fd0350fa6b44f1e6.jpg

DSC05145.thumb.jpg.d303e097fa521481de6a09c4f46c2871.jpg

DSC05146.thumb.jpg.d7846b76dbe28413fed0b0e6fee56cb5.jpg

DSC05149.thumb.jpg.16342cdee6e36d8eff1de36576db6f91.jpg

DSC05150.thumb.jpg.956d7303b688b9022a742e3e81a6436f.jpg

DSC05147.thumb.jpg.7e7f4b36409d510ee63cff36da28be84.jpg

Sure I dont mind, I have been using PCB-Pool http://www.pcb-pool.com/ppus/index.html for my latest boards and I have been very happy with their service.

They are offering a promotion which includes a free laser cut steel stencil. Really aids in the assembly process.

Thats funny. I have used Screaming circuits before, and I think they have top notch service and turn-around times. I love the fact that they will order all the parts, the board, and assemble it. Really great turn key solution. However to keep the cost down on my products I am doing pick and place by hand and then running them through a small re-flow oven.

If this gauge could be switched on/off, have numerical wideband read out in the center, and then the boost gauge LED with reference marks along the border, it would absolutely be the perfect sleeper set up...just make sure its not too bright at night. Some LED gauges are as bright(or brighter) as the cluster is on full...too bright imo...

kudos for good work here, keep it up.

I'm in pending price, operation of vents, auto-dimming of numbers and such, and the option to turn it off completely.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

This may be overkill, but what are the chances that you could program in a "sweep" on the LED's after powering on, somewhat mimicking the factory gauges?

NEVER ARGUE WITH A STUPID PERSON.

THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sure I dont mind, I have been using PCB-Pool http://www.pcb-pool.com/ppus/index.html for my latest boards and I have been very happy with their service.

They are offering a promotion which includes a free laser cut steel stencil. Really aids in the assembly process.

Thats funny. I have used Screaming circuits before, and I think they have top notch service and turn-around times. I love the fact that they will order all the parts, the board, and assemble it. Really great turn key solution. However to keep the cost down on my products I am doing pick and place by hand and then running them through a small re-flow oven.

Thanks! Right now I am using Screaming Circuits but costs are getting high and it would be nice to find other places. They also X-ray to do QC on the really small stuff.

Wow, jus stumbled upon this. Way cool!

This might be a long shot but I'm going to ask anyway. Any chance you would be able to implement the ability to also be able to interpret a signal from a temperature sensor? One could switch between boost and temp, but this would involve making the display acomodate triple digits. The reason this popped in my head is because this gauge is awesomely stealth and clean looking and I am also looking at installing a temperature gauge for my ATF, but not liking how the gauge sticks out like a sore thumb.

Been looking for a clean looking gauge for 2 years.

This looks to be the best so far, is stealthy, and keeps all the storage in the car. Make sure that it is not too bright or has the ability to dim. Also probably need to be able to turn it off.

If this thing can also add another 10 hp or so that would be an added bonus! :lol:

Good work!

Update for questions: Thanks for all the coments, i'm building a nice feature list.

Any idea on when the gauge for the 2009 would be available?

This gauge should fit 05-09. This probably will take some time. I'm hoping late first quarter 2010.

Man! What a great design! Stealth, functionality, & matches stock lights! 2nd on the sweep function upon start up. Can't wait for the final design. I've put off buying a boost gauge until you've finished.

Yes I will try to get the timing perfect for startup sweep. Any idea if startup sweep has changed at all from the 06. i mean is the 07, 08, 09 all the same or..close enough.

That would be great if it had AFR and Boost. Maybe the capability to switch the numbers between boost and AFR.

I agree, some want to see boost, some AFR. needs capability to switch.

This might be a long shot but I'm going to ask anyway. Any chance you would be able to implement the ability to also be able to interpret a signal from a temperature sensor? One could switch between boost and temp, but this would involve making the display acomodate triple digits. The reason this popped in my head is because this gauge is awesomely stealth and clean looking and I am also looking at installing a temperature gauge for my ATF, but not liking how the gauge sticks out like a sore thumb.

Actually the gauge has 4 digits now. Do you have any data on the temp sensor? Might be possible.