LegacyGT.com

Fuel filter replacement

The maintenance manual calls for fuel filter replacement at 75K miles.

What is the feasibility of DIY fuel filter replacement and what tools are needed?

How much will it cost if it's done at a dealership?

My ride has 76K miles.

Thanks.

Pretty sure the fuel filter is in the tank along with the pump. I wouldn't bother replacing it, at least not until much later on. I know it's in the manual, but I'd suspect Subaru would advise you to leave it alone. Just like the transmission fluid that my dealer refuses to touch, my guess is they'll claim "lifetime" on the fuel filter.

Most fuel filters in todays cars do not need to be replaced. Unless you are having fuel system issues or hesitation...then I'd have the dealer diagnose and change only if necessary. Most cars go 100's of thousands of miles without replacing a FF.

Probably just like a safety net figure incase you were the type of person who used low quality fuel often from bob down the road who has old whisky bottles filled with petrol.

I think that's why cars don't come with as much power as they could have, just incase the owner decides to use a lower quality fuel, refill with lower quality oil, not change fluids as often etc etc.

Didn't really answer your question, but hope it was more helpful than 'google it' or 'YouTube is your friend' as I know a forum is much more interactive and helpful than watching a video made by someone saying 'this is how I do it' then going by how many positive vs negative comments are on the video.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most fuel filters in todays cars do not need to be replaced. Unless you are having fuel system issues or hesitation...then I'd have the dealer diagnose and change only if necessary. Most cars go 100's of thousands of miles without replacing a FF.

Not exactly great advice. Most cars dont infact go 'hundreds of thousands' of miles without a fuel filter being replaced. Most cars dont go hundreds of thousands of miles, period.

A fuel filter is an important part of a car's fuel system and the filter's degradation over time will long term consequences for the fuel system as a whole.

As it were, on the Legacy, at least the H6, the fuel filter is built into the fuel pump assembly, so its not an easily serviceable item like some fuel filters. I wouldnt worry about it if the car isnt showing any symptoms of fuel delivery issues. Make sure to seek out quality fuel and not the cheapest no name shit from the budget station and make sure to give the car an 'italian tune up' every once in a while, and you will do what you can to keep your fuel system clean.

Not exactly great advice. Most cars dont infact go 'hundreds of thousands' of miles without a fuel filter being replaced. Most cars dont go hundreds of thousands of miles, period.

A fuel filter is an important part of a car's fuel system and the filter's degradation over time will long term consequences for the fuel system as a whole.

As it were, on the Legacy, at least the H6, the fuel filter is built into the fuel pump assembly, so its not an easily serviceable item like some fuel filters. I wouldnt worry about it if the car isnt showing any symptoms of fuel delivery issues. Make sure to seek out quality fuel and not the cheapest no name shit from the budget station and make sure to give the car an 'italian tune up' every once in a while, and you will do what you can to keep your fuel system clean.

I buy the cheapest "no name shit from the budget station" because it is the same shit as you get from the name brand stations. Gas is gas!

I buy the cheapest "no name shit from the budget station" because it is the same shit as you get from the name brand stations. Gas is gas!
Chemically speaking, there's truth to that (though additives differ). But fuel has to be stored and there's some chance of contamination from ground water, rust, sediment, etc.

Check out toptiergas.com

There is a difference.

none of which matters to the fuel filter, but the sediment that you might pick up from a poorly maintained gas station storage tank is what that filter is filtering out.

So yes, buying a top tier gas from a well maintained station probably makes some difference in whether your fuel filter gets clogged.

Don't run your tank really low so it has less of chance to suck up the crap.

Hi WILLINH, your post might dig up the old chestnut about seeing as how fuel pumps are placed at the bottom of fuel tanks, are they going to suck up crap (if there is any there) regardless of if the tank is full or nearly empty :)

• 4 weeks later...
Hi WILLINH, your post might dig up the old chestnut about seeing as how fuel pumps are placed at the bottom of fuel tanks, are they going to suck up crap (if there is any there) regardless of if the tank is full or nearly empty :)

+1

Also, when I replaced the dying fuel pump in my old '07 LGT (>220k miles), I lifted the assembly out and the first thing I noticed was that the tank was IMPECCABLE. I don't mean "good for its age," but absolutely clean. The mesh pre-filter had some discoloration (a slight browning), but it was free of any visible debris.

NOTE: the '97 had traditional replaceable filter in the engine compartment, unlike modern filters that are a part of the pump assembly.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

• 2 years later...

On a 2015 Legacy Premium, 4 cylinder engine, I had the 72,000 mile service done today. The Subaru dealer did not want to change the in the fuel tank fuel filter, stating that it is attached to the fuel pump and not necessary to change.

How important is this service? If you don't do it yourself what is a price range for this service?

The Subaru dealer did not want to change the in the fuel tank fuel filter, stating that it is ... not necessary to change.

This is definitely an, "If it's not broke, don't fix it" type of maintenance item. I would wait until your fuel pump fails to change it, if you even keep your car that long.

The process doesn't look terrible, but I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you actually need to.

The Subaru dealer did not want to change the in the fuel tank fuel filter, stating that it is attached to the fuel pump and not necessary to change.

The Subaru Warranty & Maintenance Guide specifies fuel filter replacement at 6 years/72,000 miles under normal conditions, and more frequently under conditions where "contamination of the filter may occur."

Personally, I agree with your dealer. I buy fuel from "clean," known-good local sources and select Top-Tier listed vendors when on the road, so I choose not to replace the fuel filter before 100,000 miles unless a fuel-related problem develops earlier. (Anecdotally, I have had other fuel-injected vehicles that surpassed 200,000 miles on the OE fuel filters without any problems.) On the other hand, a single tank of badly-contaminated fuel could be enough to trigger filter replacement. Subaru does state that failing to replace the fuel filter will not affect the emissions system warranty.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

The spin on filters used by gas stations are supposed to be really good, each pump has one. I've read in a few different places that they can usually filter down to 10 microns, that's pretty small.. So I wouldn't really worry about replacing the filter in your tank.

random video which shows the filter at the pump

a couple filters

https://www.jmesales.com/cim-tek-bio-tek-70120-10-micron-microglass-multi-fuel-spin-on-monitor-filter-400mb-10/

https://www.jmesales.com/cim-tek-400-10-spin-on-fuel-dispenser-filter-10-micron-particulate-70015/

FWIW my car had the fuel filter replaced around 30k according to CARFAX. Must have been defective

... Or perhaps it was actually the engine air filter that was replaced, and it somehow got miscoded as the fuel filter. The air filter is scheduled by Subaru for replacement every 30,000 miles.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png