LegacyGT.com

Transmission Clunking in Downshift

Was wondering if anyone else is or has experienced your transmission clunking when it downshifts and sorta hard shifts usually between 1st and 2nd it seems? I have a '13 Legacy 3.6 Auto. Thought once upon a time I read something that mentioned a computer flash or something is available to fix that. Haven't had the car long so didn't want to keep on driving it and possibly creating more slop if there's a fix. Thanks for any thoughts.

I dont have that much experience with Subaru trannys but I would maybe check for codes, clear any, and/or remove the battery terminal for a few minutes to clear adaptations and see if anything changes?

Thanks guys for the info. Will check with dealer on mine and my son's 2011. May try that replacement mount too if it wouldn't void the warranty. You know how the dealers can be with aftermarket parts.

And a new valve body is generally the fix, but if its under warranty I would let the dealer fix it. Fresh fluid has been known to help as well as a relearn. But the issue tends to come back as the fluid ages.

Crap! Looked up what a valve body looked like and saw that that thing lists for like $800! Watched a YOUTUBE video and it looked fairly easy to replace. Of course it was out of the car and on a bench.

I can imagine the dealer trying to get out of replacing it. Just hoping they're able to duplicate it when they test drive it. Hate the could not duplicate dance!

Fortunately I bought the Wrap warranty coverage that's good out to 100,000 miles or 7 years from date it entered service in Dec of 2012 with $0 deductible. Only gonna last like 18 months. Cost me $1,000 and if the valve body is BAD I'll get that $1,000 back in one job! Guess I better get on their calendar and let them start looking into it. :confused:

Hmmm....only 39,000 miles but I guess parts have a mind of their own. I understand tranny fluid in our Legacy's is good for 100,000 miles?

I am not sure where you got that information from, but I wouldn't run the 5eat more than a couple years between changes. The fluid isn't terribly expensive, especially not compared to that valve body. And remember the warranty only applies if you are performing all recommended maintenance.

I TOTALLY agree on keeping clean fluid in it. My motto is clean oil never hurt anything. Heard that from a Japanese Subaru mechanic I'm pretty sure. He said the same about changing antifreeze but I coulda gotten my wires crossed. Will check owners manual on recommended tranny fluid change. Thanks for heads-up.

Archived