LegacyGT.com

Cel code P2097

Any ideas? Driving at 70mph with cruise on and it popped up and turned my cruise off. Autozone said it's this code p2097... definition: Bank 2 is too rich causing a lean a/f mixture.

Error codes read

P2097 post catalytic fuel trim system too rich bank 1.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170107/034ea3609f8c9d96e35682b23f4e2bdb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most common causes are

Bad upstream O2 sensor (in manifold)

Bad cat

Exhaust leak

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Thanks. It seems that the popular idea is just bandaid this with a Cobb AP. I really wanted to just fix it first.

Add also a faulty injector to the equation.

There are no hesitations or even rough idle. This car is new to me by about 200 miles.

Is that the only CEL code?

Do you have any driveability issues like lack of power, stumbling, etc.

Do you have mods?

Have you changed, replaced, or repaired anything recently?

The car seems to be 100% stock, it was purchased and serviced at the same dealership, it seems like it was a middle aged person. The car is immaculate. I was surprised that this popped up because it doesn't hiccup at all even in sport mode going up a hill (the most load I can put on the motor).

It seems that the popular idea is just bandaid this with a Cobb AP.

Popular with whom? None of the responsible adults who've responded to your inquiry so far have suggested any such thing.

I really wanted to just fix it first.

By all means. You've been provided with a list of likely culprits. Your next step is to start checking that list, starting with the easiest to eliminate, cheapest to replace, and of course most likely. While in there, keep an eye out for any leaks, damage, disconnections, bad grounds, or anything else not right.

Thanks. It seems that the popular idea is just bandaid this with a Cobb AP. I really wanted to just fix it first...

Finding the real problem and fixing it is a good idea, IMHO. If it really is running rich that will ruin the cat over time.

If you have access to the FSM (vacation pix) there is a diagnostic tree to troubleshoot this. It seems to one of the more complicated ones. In addition to the exhaust leak, bad front o2 sensor, bad injector possibilities there are a bunch of checks of the wiring harness plus the health of the rear o2 sensor. I would suggest following the FSM diagnostic tree, just to be systematic about tracking down the real cause. If you don't have access to the FSM, I can probably attach that section.

I will point out that the very cold weather we've had recently might be contributing. The car does run richer when it is cold.

Popular with whom? None of the responsible adults who've responded to your inquiry so far have suggested any such thing.

I used the search function.

By all means. You've been provided with a list of likely culprits. Your next step is to start checking that list, starting with the easiest to eliminate, cheapest to replace, and of course most likely. While in there, keep an eye out for any leaks, damage, disconnections, bad grounds, or anything else not right.

Well. From my reading I found that a low voltage usually indicates a bad o2 sensor and rich or high voltage is probably not a bad sensor.. but you're right it could.

Finding the real problem and fixing it is a good idea, IMHO. If it really is running rich that will ruin the cat over time.

If you have access to the FSM (vacation pix) there is a diagnostic tree to troubleshoot this. It seems to one of the more complicated ones. In addition to the exhaust leak, bad front o2 sensor, bad injector possibilities there are a bunch of checks of the wiring harness plus the health of the rear o2 sensor. I would suggest following the FSM diagnostic tree, just to be systematic about tracking down the real cause. If you don't have access to the FSM, I can probably attach that section.

I will point out that the very cold weather we've had recently might be contributing. The car does run richer when it is cold.

Ok. I'll look into the vacation pix.. you don't have a link do you? If not I'm sure I can search it out. Yeah the temp when it went up was about 14* and I was going about 80mph over a mountain pass.

Archived