LegacyGT.com

Adding heated mirrors to Base 2017 2.5i

Aside from some simple ergonomics issues, the most upsetting part is the lack of 2 wires running up to the heating elements in the side view mirrors! Apparently every other model version of the car has this feature except for the very basic model, which is what I have. With that said, has anyone found a way to make this mod themselves? Like, I'm assuming all that needs to be done is to splice into the cables that run power to the rear window defogger, and then run those cables to the heating elements on the side view mirrors. Right?

Follow up questions:

Which fuse exactly send power to the rear window defogger?

Is there a way that I can get a wiring diagram/schematic for this car?

Is there a cable already there, but just not running from the cannon plug to the side mirror?

Any answers to any of these questions would help. Thank you

Aside from some simple ergonomics issues, the most upsetting part is the lack of 2 wires running up to the heating elements in the side view mirrors! Apparently every other model version of the car has this feature except for the very basic model, which is what I have.

Each trim level (i.e. Base, Premium, Limited) has its own set of wiring harnesses. In general, if an option is listed as a PIO ("port" or dealer installed) option for that trim level, the necessary harnesses are already in place. Part of the reason Base trim is priced lower is because the wiring harnesses are simpler and provide for fewer PIO options.

The entire Factory Service Manual, including detailed wiring diagrams, is available for (paid) download from the Subaru Technical Information System web site. $35 buys you three days access to just about every bit of service information available to dealers. There are more than a thousand PDF files comprising the FSM, but three days is more than enough to download the whole thing.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

The entire Factory Service Manual, including detailed wiring diagrams, is available for (paid) download from the Subaru Technical Information System web site. $35 buys you three days access to just about every bit of service information available to dealers. There are more than a thousand PDF files comprising the FSM, but three days is more than enough to download the whole thing.

Got a link to this?

Got a link to this?

Google: Subaru Technical Information System => http://techinfo.subaru.com/index.html

You can browse the index and directories, and even access some file content, for free. But many of the files, like the FSMs and TSBs, are paid access only.

^^OR check out the vacation pics thread for a wealth of free knowledge...

STIS content is copyrighted material that costs Subaru a lot to produce and maintain. Is $35 too much to pay for access to that wealth of information?

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Aside from some simple ergonomics issues, the most upsetting part is the lack of 2 wires running up to the heating elements in the side view mirrors! Apparently every other model version of the car has this feature except for the very basic model, which is what I have. With that said, has anyone found a way to make this mod themselves? Like, I'm assuming all that needs to be done is to splice into the cables that run power to the rear window defogger, and then run those cables to the heating elements on the side view mirrors. Right?

Follow up questions:

Which fuse exactly send power to the rear window defogger?

Is there a cable already there, but just not running from the cannon plug to the side mirror?

Any answers to any of these questions would help. Thank you

If that's your only issue, you should of clearly gotten the next trim up.

And I am pretty sure this "issue" was present when you were test driving the car before making a decision to purchase it.

Whats next, lack of heated seats??? :rolleyes:

And I am pretty sure this "issue" was present when you were test driving the car before making a decision to purchase it.

have to agree with that OP. Sounds like you didn't do your due diligence. Heated mirrors is exactly one of the reasons why I paid more for the premium.

The mirrors are wired separately from the rear window defogger, one must press and hold the defogger button to turn on the mirrors.

Not according to the 2015 and 2016 Owners Manuals:

To activate the defogger and deicer system, press the control switch. The rear window defogger, outside mirror defogger and windshield wiper deicer are activated simultaneously. The indicator light on the control switch illuminates while the defogger and deicer system is activated.

spacer.png

Google: Subaru Technical Information System => http://techinfo.subaru.com/index.html

You can browse the index, and even access some file content, for free. But many of the files, like the FSMs and TSBs, are paid access only.

STIS content is copyrighted material that costs Subaru a lot to produce and maintain. Is $35 too much to pay for access to that wealth of information?

No it is not, in fact most paper manuals are significantly more than $35 so in that aspect it's a steal. For the record I paid and got mine legitimately, and have most definitely gotten my money's worth out of it.

Well, that's what I get for listening to the salesman. The manual says nothing of the sort, my mistake.

Much as the salesman indicated, if you hold the button in for a few seconds, the light goes out, then comes back on again. I wonder where he got this misinformation or why he'd make it up? He specifically told me the mirrors didn't operate unless you turned them on in this manner. Actually, he seemed kind of proud to know it and pass it on.

This was never brought up to me. It was never discussed. What the dealer had told me was that the only difference between the base model and the premium was some things with the seats and some sensors. Which are honestly added perks I could care less for. Most base models have heated mirrors. My old base model 05 neon and 08 Sonata had this feature. Hell, its such a common feature that the mirrors on this Legacy are built with the heating element inside it already! They don't make those mirrors without it. So excuse me for not bothering to ask after the dealer didn't bring it up. Didn't think a 2017 car would be lacking such a standard and basic feature.

Also, this isn't listed on Subaru's website. When it talks about the different trim models, heated mirrors never get brought up.

Also, this isn't listed on Subaru's website. When it talks about the different trim models, heated mirrors never get brought up.

Copied and pasted direct from http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/outback/models.html/OBK-compare-wrapper-modal:

Feature: "Windshield wiper de-icer and heated side mirrors (All-Weather Package)" => Base trim: "Not Equipped" (neither "Standard" nor "Optional") ... Premium, Limited, and Touring trims: "Standard"

spacer.png

Cut and pasted from http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/outback/models.html/OBK-compare-wrapper-modal:

"Windshield wiper de-icer and heated side mirrors (All-Weather Package)" => Base trim: "Not Equipped" (not "Optional" or "Standard") ... Premium, Limited, and Touring trims: "Standard"

Also, base models only show the rear window on the defrost button.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/outback15-climate-control2.jpg

Whereas other trims also picture the mirrors.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/outback15-climate-control1.jpg

And since when do people listen to a car salesman??? Buyers need to do their own research before purchasing and not blame others for not getting what they wanted. The internet has a wealth of information. Just sayin'

Yea. You'd think the Subaru website would have it listed on there, but it doesn't. I was under the impression that the actual website would be a good enough source of information... guess not.

Yea. You'd think the Subaru website would have it listed on there, but it doesn't. I was under the impression that the actual website would be a good enough source of information... guess not.

Copied and pasted direct from http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/outback/models.html/OBK-compare-wrapper-modal:

Feature: "Windshield wiper de-icer and heated side mirrors (All-Weather Package)" => Base trim: "Not Equipped" (neither "Standard" nor "Optional") ... Premium, Limited, and Touring trims: "Standard"

And since when do people listen to a car salesman??? Buyers need to do their own research before purchasing and not blame others for not getting what they wanted. The internet has a wealth of information. Just sayin'

This is for the OB not the Legacy, but you're right. I took a better look and found out that it did mention it on the same "box" that was describing heated windshield wipers.

Regardless, it the only feature I care to add. I find it a bit asinine to have to up grade and buy a much more expensive version of the car for only one feature.

Also, base models only show the rear window on the defrost button.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/outback15-climate-control2.jpg

Whereas other trims also picture the mirrors.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/outback15-climate-control1.jpg

Interesting... so, how hard do you think it would be to add a button to that small panel that's above the fuse box by the steering wheel? I mean, i wouldn't think it'd be too difficult

Interesting... so, how hard do you think it would be to add a button to that small panel that's above the fuse box by the steering wheel? I mean, i wouldn't think it'd be too difficult

Not hard at all. Drill a hole in one of the blanks and pop a switch in its place. Round would be easiest to mount but you can make do with a rectangular one.

This is what I have for my aux lights. The "blank-out" plate above it is a piece of plastic from a juice jug covered in electrical tape and hot glued in place. Hey, it works:lol:

http://i.imgur.com/vhqVYcl.jpg

Archived