LegacyGT.com

Help needed - installing shifter bushing

jagoulet

hi!

I have a 1995 Legacy wagon with a 5 speed manual. 235K miles.

Not long ago the shifter came out of the socket it moves in. I have the parts (bushing - 35035KA010 , wire and O ring) but need to know how to install it so I don't break what is obviously a pretty fragile piece of plastic.

I am guessing you put the bushing on the ball at the base of the shift lever and then insert it into the steel pocket but can see some finesse (not to mention grease) is needed. Also not sure at what point you wrap the wire around and use it to tighten things.

Any experience or information appreciated!

thanks!

john:confused:

The install isn't as hard as it might seem. Use Lithium synthetic grease as it doesn't break down as easily under heat and will last in there. So when you put the ball into the joint make sure to coat it liberally. The wire is used to hold the rubber cover that goes over the transmission to the plastic base the ball goes in. Pictures always help! If you need anything PM us and we are happy to help you out.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer

"Race Tested, Ent

I am unsure of the sequence of events. My current guess is:

* put the shifter ball into the plastic bushing

* wiggle the assembly into the steel cup (base) - somehow

I only say this because if I put the bushing into the steel cup, there appears to be no way the ball could then slide in (if it could then it could also slide out, not good)

No end to my ignorance, unfortunately . . .

Archived