LegacyGT.com

HID install - XenonDepot Philips 4300k

DRL disable is unnecessary as our low and high beams are separate bulbs. Unless you're planning to put HIDs in the high beams, which pretty much everyone recommends against doing due to repeated on-off being hard on them.

Was thinking of doing LED for the highbeams but wasn't fully sure on going that route. But thanks for the info guys it's greatly appreciated

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Solkid212, welcome to the forums. So as you can see, folks highly recommend "searching" the forums before posting your question. There's been alot of threads regarding "lights". I think some folks are sensitive to them.

Regardless, What's your goal ? What are trying to achieve?

I don't drive in a lot of places where I use my High Beams. I think most folks in rural areas would. If you need them, then I would suggest the LED 9005 High Beam option.

I love my HID low beam H11 setup and the H11 LED Fog lights. I hardly ever use my High beams. The drawback with having 9005 High Beam LEDs is that there's no "lo" setting. They're either off or on. So I choose to just drive with my lights (lows) ON all of the time, Day or Night. It's been over a year and no issues.

Btw..all my lights were from XD. Great Setup !

Was thinking of doing LED for the highbeams but wasn't fully sure on going that route. But thanks for the info guys it's greatly appreciated

No problem! I've had my HIDs for almost a year now and so far they've been great, zero issues. Highly recommend XenonDepot's kits.

I think some folks are sensitive to them.

Because we have too dang many:lol:

Da_Maxx I definitely will be using the search next time haha. Just looking for better visibility overall and I was checking out the hid kits from XD and will be getting one from them actually going to order today going with the 4300k with the Philips upgrade. And then down the road I will look into the high beam upgrade. Again sorry for being a noob. Again thanks for all the help

Installing HID insert kits into stock halogen projectors is actually not legal.

For one thing, the halogen projectors in your Subaru have squirrel finders, which project some light up to illuminate street signs and squirrels.

For another, there is no self-levelling feature on halogen projectors.

If you want HID's, the second best way is to retrofit with a proper HID projectors, which at least have the correct cut offs to reduce glare, though still lack the self-levelling feature.

Best: buy the OEM HID headlights and install them, with both proper cut off and self-levelling.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/all-products/morimoto-retroquik-subaru-legacy.html?carDisplay=2016+Subaru+Legacy&preselect=&preselect_restrict=1

Edited by upstater

For one thing, the halogen projectors in your Subaru have squirrel finders, which project some light up to illuminate street signs and squirrels.

If you want HID's, the second best way is to retrofit with a proper HID projectors, which at least have the correct cut offs to reduce glare, though still lack the self-levelling feature.

Best: buy the OEM HID headlights and install them, with both proper cut off and self-levelling.

Wish I saw this before ordering lol. I'll go ahead with the install and see how it works out. Thanks for the heads up.

Can't disagree with the legality, however no cop is going to pull you over as they couldn't tell unless your lights are some horrid shade of purple or something obviously not stock.

Self-leveling is really only necessary when the trunk or backseat have a significant amount of weight in them. If you regularly drive with them loaded simply adjust the lights while carrying a typical load.

Our projectors have a perfect cutoff with the XD HIDs. When I first got mine I did quite a bit of testing to ensure I wouldn't blind everybody, and found the only difference in beam pattern when compared to a halogen bulb was a larger central hotspot. No crazy scattered light, no stray beams with the potential for glare. It's not like dropping an HID into a halogen reflector, which creates a Christmas light show's worth of stray light.

A retrofit would no doubt be better, output would probably be increased too thanks to higher quality lenses and better optics. I've done a retrofit on a friend's car, really not that hard just time consuming. My goal some day is a bi-xenon retrofit like im2c0ol did, maybe when the c-light switchbacks come out I'll kill 2 birds with one stone.

Unfortunately what looks ok to you vis a vis glare for other drivers means very little because it fails the tests of science:

https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forum/general-discussion/general-discussion-aa/42907-hid-plug-n-play-fails-govt-test?44158-HID-plug-n-play-fails-govt-test=

or

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

If you have opened a Subaru headlight, the stock halogen projectors have a bent piece of metal "squirrel finder". This pops some amount of light upward to illuminate street signs. If you look at a proper HID projector, ie a Morimoto D2S, there is a completely different focal point and a clear cut off with no squirrel finder.

There is no comparison, just because you don't get pulled over does not make it safe for other drivers, or just because it looks brighter to you does not mean the light is actually focussed as well as the stock set-up for distance, and it that squirrel finder is there, there is no proper cut off, etc.

It fails the smell test, even if it passes the seat of the pants test for you. Aftermarket sellers of kits that are illegal to install in your OEM headlight housing please speak up now...

PS: I ordered an HID kit for the WRX, before it arrived I decided to open the headlight and bend down the Squirrel finders, figured out I should do a proper refit, and ended up with D2S. If you are going to do an HID upgrade, you should replace the projector. There is no comparison between the lightweight (and cloudy lens) stock halogen projector and a Morimoto version, and other than opening the headlight and doing a proper install, cost is not significantly more to do it correctly. Or do as I did, and only shop for cars with OEM HID or LED lights, which is one of my new criterias for my cars.

Edited by upstater

Unfortunately what looks ok to you vis a vis glare for other drivers means very little because it fails the tests of science:

https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forum/general-discussion/general-discussion-aa/42907-hid-plug-n-play-fails-govt-test?44158-HID-plug-n-play-fails-govt-test=

or

If you have opened a Subaru headlight, the stock halogen projectors have a bent piece of metal "squirrel finder". This pops some amount of light upward to illuminate street signs. If you look at a proper HID projector, ie a Morimoto D2S, there is a completely different focal point and a clear cut off with no squirrel finder.

There is no comparison, just because you don't get pulled over does not make it safe for other drivers, or just because it looks brighter to you does not mean the light is actually focussed as well as the stock set-up for distance, etc.

It fails the smell test, even if it passes the seat of the pants test for you. Aftermarket sellers of kits that are illegal to install in your OEM headlight housing please speak up now...

66mph in a 65mph is also illegal and not "safe for other drivers". Hope you pay attention to that speedo!

@BeastCoast1

Actually met a couple yesterday that has the same car and did a hidden kit in the same way I am the lights were not any different except the color I did not feel I was getting blinded by them. Also called XD and spoke them on this and they said it shouldn't be a problem. AND @upstarter thanks for the unhelpful rude reply!! I hope you go on the jeep forums and say the same thing Edited by Solkid212

or

There is no comparison, just because you don't get pulled over does not make it safe for other drivers, or just because it looks brighter to you does not mean the light is actually focussed as well as the stock set-up for distance, and it that squirrel finder is there, there is no proper cut off, etc.

PS: I ordered an HID kit for the WRX, before it arrived I decided to open the headlight and bend down the Squirrel finders, figured out I should do a proper refit, and ended up with D2S. If you are going to do an HID upgrade, you should replace the projector. There is no comparison between the lightweight (and cloudy lens) stock halogen projector and a Morimoto version, and other than opening the headlight and doing a proper install, cost is not significantly more to do it correctly. Or do as I did, and only shop for cars with OEM HID or LED lights, which is one of my new criterias for my cars.

Actually, Subaru projector headlights work quite well with HID retrofits. In my 2011 I did extensive testing, including several runs in front of and oncoming in another vehicle. I did these tests multiple times, in multiple days, in clear and rainy conditions. Between tests I swapped between Halogen and HID. Was it the opposition from "Internet Forum Lawyers" that had me worried? No, I was just concerned about glare and safety for other motorists.

While they are technically "illegal", so is driving 5 mph over the speed limit. Unless the lamps are poorly aimed or have a very blue color temp, being stopped just isn't a realistic concern. Based on my testing, neither is danger to oncoming vehicles.

I'll get your Junior Trooper badge in the mail promptly. No, you don't get a gun. Guns are scary and dangerous.

;-)

People who install HID kits into halogen projectors not designed for them need to be defensive, because they know they are wrong.

It is illegal to install HID kits into halogen headlights for a good reason, if you have lights not designed to focus a more intense and differently focussed light source, you are creating a danger to other drivers.

Aftermarket sellers of kits that are illegal to install in your OEM headlight housing please speak up now....

@upstater - I'm assuming this was directed towards me, so I'll play along for a bit..

(1) HID conversion kits are illegal, but there is no doubt that they work better in some halogen headlights then others.

(2) Your "retrofit" is just as illegal as an HID kit. If you're concerned about legality, then "unmodify" your headlights, and go back to halogen. Don't preach about legality when the modification you have done is just as illegal.

(3) What sort of photometric testing have you done after your retrofitted your headlights to ensure that your new headlights comply with federal motor vehicles safety standards, and that they are not producing any glare?

You've chosen to retrofit your headlights because you felt that it was the right thing to do - good for you.

Coming on here and calling people "cheap" and "lazy" because they don't necessarily feel the same way you do is just wrong, and ignorant.

Steve

Edited by XenonDepot

Not sure how you can say for certain that I'm creating glare for other drivers without actually driving towards me on the road at night...because I actually have driven towards my car at night with another vehicle and it's a non-issue for low or high riding vehicles.

That test was done with a halogen reflector headlight. Few will argue that HID in a reflector housing is a terrible idea. Like multiple people in that thread stated, in a projector likely the only thing that would fail is foreground lighting. But without testing no one can say for sure.

Actually, Subaru projector headlights work quite well with HID retrofits. In my 2011 I did extensive testing, including several runs in front of and oncoming in another vehicle. I did these tests multiple times, in multiple days, in clear and rainy conditions. Between tests I swapped between Halogen and HID. Was it the opposition from "Internet Forum Lawyers" that had me worried? No, I was just concerned about glare and safety for other motorists.

While they are technically "illegal", so is driving 5 mph over the speed limit. Unless the lamps are poorly aimed or have a very blue color temp, being stopped just isn't a realistic concern. Based on my testing, neither is danger to oncoming vehicles.

I'll get your Junior Trooper badge in the mail promptly. No, you don't get a gun. Guns are scary and dangerous.

;-)

Exactly. Every headlight is different. I tested mine for the same reason. For me at least, my own testing trumps said Internet lawyers making blanket statements.

People who install HID kits into halogen projectors not designed for them need to be defensive, because they know they are wrong.

It is illegal to install HID kits into halogen headlights for a good reason, if you have lights not designed to focus a more intense and differently focussed light source, you are creating a danger to other drivers.

In the eyes of the law, I'm wrong. I'm not denying that.

In terms of claiming all HID kits in halogen projectors are a glaring danger to other drivers, you're wrong. I've seen my fair share of blinding HIDs in lifted trucks and the like. Based on my testing mine aren't blinding. If you want to come to my house and do your own testing with my car, feel free:) but unless you do you can't say with certainty that mine are a safety hazard to others.

I'm not being "cheap" or "lazy" but why jump the gun buy new housings when people here and others that I've seen and talked to about this say I don't have to.

Because I have, unlike most of you here, apparently, actually opened a subaru halogen headlight with a projector lense, and tried bending the squirrel finders, and found that the cutoff was not accurate compared to the subsequent Morimoto D2S retrofit.

If you dudes haven't even bothered to bend over the squirrel finders, or realized that they even exist, you cannot convince me that the bent piece of metal that reflects halogen light up, up and away does not do the same with a brighter, albeit differently emitting, HID bulb.

I knew giving facts in a thread dedicated to installing HID kits into halogen projectors that are not designed for them would be unpopular, I just know that I am right, and the defensiveness here is because those installing them know it is not the correct way to do this, even if they had no idea previously that it was also not legal to do so.

@upstater - I'm assuming this was directed towards me, so I'll play along for a bit..

(2) Your "retrofit" is just as illegal as an HID kit. If you're concerned about legality, then "unmodify" your headlights, and go back to halogen. Don't preach about legality when the modification you have done is just as illegal.

Coming on here and calling people "cheap" and "lazy" because they don't necessarily feel the same way you do is just wrong, and ignorant.

Steve

Um, no, my Legacy was purchased with OEM HID's installed, with the included self-levelling. I sold the WRX that I had retrofitted.

That said, a retrofit vs inserting HID lights into a halogen projector is second best, but at least I know the cut off is clear and the focus of the light is correctly designed for the output of an HID bulb.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/all-products/morimoto-retroquik-subaru-legacy.html?carDisplay=2016+Subaru+Legacy&preselect=&preselect_restrict=1

I don't work for the Retrofit Source, but I did buy my WRX D2S kit from them, looks like they offer a Mini-H1 kit for the Legacy and Outback...

Worst is what you did (inserting a kit into a halogen projector).

Best is what I just did, buy a car that has the HID lights properly installed, tested, and legal to use on the road. I would have also bought it with OEM LED low beams like the WRX has, but that isn't offered.

PS: this information was already posted by me previously on this thread (post #155). As a double bonus, NASIOC has a thread or two dedicated to doing HID retrofits, including how to open and close the headlights and make it work if you are wanting to step up your game, still not legal, still 100% clearer cut off.

Edited by upstater

PS: this information was already posted by me previously on this thread (post #155).

P.S. Nobody gave a s*** then and nobody gives a s*** now. So make sure you come to complete stops at stop signs, drive the speed limit at all times, accurately follow 100ft behind school buses, don't spit in public, and never switch lanes without a signal because since you feel entitled to tell everyone what they're doing is wrong or illegal... you must've never broken the law ever! Impressive! Otherwise you would just come across as a hypocrite, but who am I to judge? Also be sure to join the "Law Abiding Citizens" Forum, heard they're giving out gold star stickers for free this month.

:bbq::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin:

@BeastCoast1

@Upstater I have no problem with your input and information. I have a problem with being called cheap and lazy. As I've said before in talking to people that have done the hid install with the same car lights I have had no issues I've even seen them in front of me and there was no problem. Everyone who decides to do mods to their car will end up doing something illegal even if it's just tints. Many people with lifted trucks are illegal cause the standard hight of the headlights is to high. I get that and I've already stated that if it does become already issue I would redo my projectors. Just no reason to be rude you voiced your opinion and I appreciate the info but there's a better way then being a jerk.

• 4 weeks later...
Finally got my kit and installed they look great and what a difference from stock. did a bunch of testing with a friend and he said they didnt bother him at all. i drove behind him for a while set up on coming situations and he didnt have one complaint but said they looked great. Thanks XD for all the help!!!

I installed mine and didn't adjust the beam height from the stock halogens. After getting flashed at a couple times I decided to test it with my other vehicle and sure enough it was very bright and blinding. So I aimed the low beam lower towards the ground and tested it out again. No more blinding and it looks like stock HID's with my 4300K Phillips bulb. Haven't been flashed at since :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk