LegacyGT.com

High mileage compression

Checked around, and didn't see any thread compiling compression and leakdown values people are seeing for higher mileage Legacies. Given the propensity of at least the higher mileage turbo motors to drop compression due to burned valves, ring land issues, etc, I thought it'd be interesting to see if we can put together a reasonable set of data to maybe get a better picture of how these engines are aging. I'll start, as my motivation here is the difference in compression between my old LGT and my current one. Would love to hear people's opinions on information that might be relevant to include here; I know service history can be tricky to pin down, especially since some of us didn't get the best records when we bought our cars secondhand. Anyways, here goes:

Year and model: 2005 Legacy GT Wagon

VIN (if desired):

Oil used: Rotella T6 from 80k to 144k; previous unknown

Engine mods: Catless up-pipe and downpipe, JMP VF40, conservative tune from 100k to 144k

Mileage at time of test: 144k

Compression and Leakdown

No leakdown data

Cyl 1:135 psi

Cyl 2:130 psi

Cyl 3:135 psi

Cyl 4:125 psi

Year and model: 2005 Legacy GT Wagon

VIN (if desired):

Oil used: Valvoline 5w30 dino oil from new to 97k; Rotella T6 from 97k to 152k, with one change of Mobil 1 5W30 synth during that time

Engine mods: Stock from new till 152k

Mileage at time of test: 152k

Compression and Leakdown

No leakdown data

Cyl 1: 150 psi

Cyl 2: 145 psi

Cyl 3: 150 psi

Cyl 4: 150 psi

I'm no expert, but I think the numbers depend on a few different things. The main thing you need to know is the number are within a range of I think its 10-15%

Engine temp can effect the numbers as well as if oil was put in the cylinders.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm no expert, but I think the numbers depend on a few different things. The main thing you need to know is the number are within a range of I think its 10-15%

Engine temp can effect the numbers as well as if oil was put in the cylinders.

I agree with max. There is so much variation test to test: engine temp, number of times the engine is cranked etc. I've compression tested my SpecB and came up with 125-130psi then 6 months or a year later have seen 135-140psi. The EJs are hard to compression test after warming up, to me at least, due to the amount time to remove the plugs and remove/re-install the battery. Also, I have a FMIC so removing the plumbing to gain access to the plugs takes time.

Archived