LegacyGT.com

1993 Legacy Wagon RHD Build Thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Bolted the new manifold on. The two inner bolts on each side were too short, gotta get some longer ones, thanks Mike!

Here are some photos. I am going to sit down later and print out the pages with vacuum hose diagram etc and figure out where everything goes.

ejRNyfgl.jpg

Blue plug goes where?

2PjsGLal.jpg

What is missing here on the throttle body?

vrNDKO4l.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here is where I'm at now. I trimmed one of the legs of the silicone 90 about as far as I could It definitely helped a bit, but the intake manifold still crushes it maybe 15%. If I rotate the 90 clockwise a little it helps, but it of course turns the 90 the wrong direction. I used a piece of PVC to test fit.

OZbClpml.jpg

kueEysll.jpg

Thoughts on all of this?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, my lovely internet friends, I made a quick decision for once and pulled my ej20 and dropped in a running ej22. My friend Skylar came down from dirty Jersey and we pulled the 20 out and dropped in the 22 in a couple of hours. Got everything bolted down and plugged in. The car didn’t crank for some reason, but the accessory power worked and all of the exterior lights and dash lights worked, for the first time in many years!

fycsEUS.jpg

I’m not entirely sure why it’s not cranking but it was pretty late by that time so I put everything away for the night. I know that all of the grounds are not connected. Another issue I have is the exhaust manifold doesn’t fit because I have a turbo crossmember, any suggestions to work around that?

• 1 month later...

Well thanks to some help and some more help from Josh the car fired up today! It only has a header on it right now because of the crossmember situation so I only let it run for a few seconds. This is supposed to be a video of the car running, but for some unknown reason it is not.

NCvngXKl.mp4

I am so super stoked that it finally starts. Need to grab a few things from auto parts store and I should be just about ready to drive it!

Wired up my power folding mirrors, ran the wires under the dash nice and clean & connected to the switch. Now I have to figure out how to keep the switch in its place nice and tight, im thinking some velcro.

0IS2NIhl.jpg

NLQLJ2ol.mp4

D09hwbkl.jpg

Swapped out my blue radiator stays for some titanium ones that a friend sent me.

F0mIPDgl.jpg

3LVqksIl.jpg

Parts Needed:

Fuel Filter Bracket, Upper & Lower Rear Window Molding, Corner Lights without broken tabs

Edited by Sublimejoe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So frustrated with this car right now. I wired the crank sensor using an XLR microphone cable from microcenter. It was $14 for 25 feet.

oxDenBxm.jpg

QrCS4D4m.jpg

rL4wxOVm.jpg

This did not change the no start situation. However it did clear codes 11 & 13 which are the crank position sensor & cam position sensor. Good enough for me.

Today I checked everything for the seemingly hundredth time and find nothing to be amiss. I pulled the hose from the inlet on intake manifold to clean the fuel filter and lines. I sprayed air into the lines and it seems to be fine. Blew air into the hard lines on the firewall back towards the tank.

While I had the fuel lines off I ran a line from the inlet line directly into this smart water bottle and tried to start the car. The fuel pump seems to be pumping just fine, this was how much fuel is pumped when cranking the car for ten seconds. Oddly enough the car turned over and sputtered for about ten seconds before stalling out. This was the only time today I got the car to turn over and run. With nothing connected to inlet or return on intake manifold.

nxyUhLAl.jpg

Anyone have any ideas on what could be the issue? I am getting a code 42 on the cluster, which is idle switch. The throttle body was messed with a little, but could small adjustments cause enough of a difference that the car doesn't even try to start? It seems to be something is preventing the car from knowing its ok to start, rather than an issue of it not getting spark/fuel.

Update:

Took plugs out, they are soaked in gas from trying to start it so much on Sunday I guess. The weird thing is the plugs still smell like bad gas. I have already drained the tank twice using the fuel pump. Am I going to need to remove tank and lines to clean properly?

Also, a friend of mine pointed out that I dont have an oxygen sensor connected. It never even crossed my mind that I should have one since I dont remember removing one from the old motor. Ordered the sensor and it should be here tomorrow.

• 1 month later...
Fock yes! Must be hugely satisfying to finally drive it!

It is indeed very satisfying!

This was the first time I drove it on the road in four years, and there are definitely some bushings and stuff that need replacing before its really road worthy. I ordered a few and will get those on before getting an alignment. I am also running open header because of the turbo crossmember annoyance.

• 3 weeks later...