LegacyGT.com

08 Subaru LGT 2.0 JDM Swap

Hey guys! This is my second post on these forums and just like the first time I am in dire need of some information about all these different aspects of this swap. So first let me give you some info on the build so far.

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT

EJ205 JDM Swap

ARP Head Studs and Cometic Head Gaskets

Thinking about a TD05-16G Turbo

Okay so the main thing I am wondering is injectors, what size are blue colored injectors? I have been trying to find out the OEM specs on injectors on both engines with no avail. The EJ255 has top port injectors and the EJ205 has side, which one is better or are they both the same because they are blue?

Second, the turbo has a different inlet housing opening than the stock one does, I was wondering how much modification has to go into it to make it work or is hardly any, and if I buy a custom TMIC will it fit better with the aftermarket turbo?

Third, does anyone know if the Cobb V3 tuner can do an egr delete and the air pump delete and all that other modifications?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome!

Your top feed injectors are 565cc and are preferable to side feed for numerous reasons. I am not sure what size the blue side feeds are.

Yes, an intercooler will allow you to use the STI style turbo. Did the engine not come with an intercooler?

The Cobb AccessPort V3 can do all of those things. To do it yourself you need to take a $150 efi class. If not, any tuner can use the AccessPort to remove the emissions checks.

Welcome!

Your top feed injectors are 565cc and are preferable to side feed for numerous reasons. I am not sure what size the blue side feeds are.

Yes, an intercooler will allow you to use the STI style turbo. Did the engine not come with an intercooler?

The Cobb AccessPort V3 can do all of those things. To do it yourself you need to take a $150 efi class. If not, any tuner can use the AccessPort to remove the emissions checks.

Thank you for the feedback, couple more questions.

First, 565cc is good for how many pounds of boost would you say?

Second, Even if the top feed has 171k miles and the side feed has 50k should i still use the top?

Third, if I do need to upgrade it what would be your recommendation for the injectors (top feed)

Anddd last but not least do you think that the turbo I am wanting to get would be a good one? Not just from a reliability stand point but also a good power for the money as well?

Thank you again!

Both injectors are probably 565cc, I believe factory injectors are good to ~280 ( boost is relative to the turbo )

If you are staying with this turbo and HP range then it won't really matter. When you go bigger injectors, the disadvantages of the sidefeeds become apparent.

If you want to upgrade injectors, I would talk with a tuner, they will help guide you to make sure you don't buy the wrong parts.

Not sure what turbo you are referring to, but most of the jdm options are better than our turbos and should flow similar to STI turbos.

Hope that helps

why the switch to 2.0? just curious what the pros and cons are!? I always thought the 2.5 gave us that extra tq. which is why subaru went up to 2.5 across the board in all their turbo models... i just love more displacement... i'm oldschool.... was the block free? i was pretty sure that the conclusion over on nasioc was that the 2.5 pound for pound was better. the added tq is nothing to sneeze at...seems like a lot of waste to go that direction when you can just make build off of an already awesome platform..

There is no benefit aside from cost and the ej20 presents enough headaches that outweigh the savings IMO.

Thats what i thought, our cars are heavy, the wrx is like 300 lbs lighter, maaaybe it would make sense there .... maybe... but the 2.5 is overall better, if subaru put forced induction on the 6 cyl 3.0/3.5 everyone on this forum.... well a lot, would buy it.... a lil bootleg nissan gtr... thats why hyundais and kias are selling like flapjacks... even civics are coming with turbos.... `

wait cost??? a 2.0 is cheaper than stock???

Edited by Tehnation

damn... 900 bucks? that'll make anyone a believer! can u use everything else and just tune it? no other hidden fees??

There's the issue of the JDM dual AVCS vs USDM single AVCS, twinscroll vs single, sidefeed vs topfeed injectors, which intake manifold to use. I don't know about the tuning implications if you just leave the exhaust AVCS unhooked. (easiest and most popular route) etc.

I'm surely missing some things as I've not done the swap. After all that you still have a USED long block and good luck passing emissions if your state does that sort of thing.

All the completed swaps I've seen have been people wanting to save money because they are planning on dumping the car on an unsuspecting buyer and washing their hands of it.

I've yet to see one completed and driven successfully for 75,000 miles.

Personally I would rather fork over the extra money and have the piece of mind knowing it was done right. YMMV

There's the issue of the JDM dual AVCS vs USDM single AVCS, twinscroll vs single, sidefeed vs topfeed injectors, which intake manifold to use. I don't know about the tuning implications if you just leave the exhaust AVCS unhooked. (easiest and most popular route) etc.

I'm surely missing some things as I've not done the swap. After all that you still have a USED long block and good luck passing emissions if your state does that sort of thing.

All the completed swaps I've seen have been people wanting to save money because they are planning on dumping the car on an unsuspecting buyer and washing their hands of it.

I've yet to see one completed and driven successfully for 75,000 miles.

Personally I would rather fork over the extra money and have the piece of mind knowing it was done right. YMMV

The successful ones I have seen completed on the outback forums are done by DIYers.

The only reason I switched to the JDM2.0 instead of buying a replacement USDM 2.5 was originally because of the cost difference $1,500 / $3,700 for a completely dressed engine. The second reason is because the parts are more abundant and a lot cheaper for the EJ205. I am not really planning on selling this vehicle but I'm going to be upgrading everything so if I do decide to sell it they are going to have a pretty quick, reliable, and well built car. I am trying to make this engine and swap as fast and well built as I can, without sacrificing too much from either side. We have just got the heads back from the shop and now we are trying to figure out which parts to use and which parts that we wont be able to use because of the computer and just the overall platform, if you have any more advice about what we should from the two engines and what we shouldnt please let me know

Josh, I was talking to a shop that does these swaps all the time and do a expert job on them. I have never seen them fail or go back when they do the install. No this shop only work on Subaru, and are the trusted place in my state.

I looked at going with a 2.0 in my 06 LGT. Yes the cost was cheaper, but I been around here for a while and saw that the 2.5 would be the choice. Also I am not in a hurry and have a DD that is in great shape.

You asked about injectors and so on. lol :lol: man my plane was to get this car, drop a motor in it a and just drive it. I have so many parts, from puel pump to full fuel system and 1000cc injectors, Radium FPR kit/ w gauge, blah blah topmout, up/down pipe, ARP studs. It just does not stop. :lol:

I need 4 more parts and I will send the car off and have 5-6k cash to let them do the ej257, add my parts and dyno tune it.

I would go Ej25

What are you doing with the exhaust AVCS?

Are you using the USDM ECU?

The Cobb AP will not be compatible with the JDM ECU.

Yes I am using the USDM ECU so that we can tune it to get rid of the egr and the air pump.

And I'm not sure what AVCS is but we are putting on different headers on the engine and we are leaving the O2 sensors alone because until I get it tuned it will be adding too much fuel if I messed with an exhaust system rn

Josh, I was talking to a shop that does these swaps all the time and do a expert job on them. I have never seen them fail or go back when they do the install. No this shop only work on Subaru, and are the trusted place in my state.

I looked at going with a 2.0 in my 06 LGT. Yes the cost was cheaper, but I been around here for a while and saw that the 2.5 would be the choice. Also I am not in a hurry and have a DD that is in great shape.

You asked about injectors and so on. lol :lol: man my plane was to get this car, drop a motor in it a and just drive it. I have so many parts, from puel pump to full fuel system and 1000cc injectors, Radium FPR kit/ w gauge, blah blah topmout, up/down pipe, ARP studs. It just does not stop. :lol:

I need 4 more parts and I will send the car off and have 5-6k cash to let them do the ej257, add my parts and dyno tune it.

I would go Ej25

Unfortunately even if I wanted to head that route I already having the engine purchased and it was shipped in from San Francisco, we already have everything off, the heads machined, and the engine partially back together with some of the parts that I wouldnt be able to send back. So we are past the point of no return. I hear there is a lot of modifications that need to go into it to get it running like normal, I was just hoping we could get it running and then once I get the tuner and the other parts we can start switching out other parts so itll run like stock again. Until I get the boost controller and the bigger turbo to go on it

Unfortunately even if I wanted to head that route I already having the engine purchased and it was shipped in from San Francisco, we already have everything off, the heads machined, and the engine partially back together with some of the parts that I wouldnt be able to send back. So we are past the point of no return. I hear there is a lot of modifications that need to go into it to get it running like normal, I was just hoping we could get it running and then once I get the tuner and the other parts we can start switching out other parts so itll run like stock again. Until I get the boost controller and the bigger turbo to go on it

Its not as bad as people think. The place I am going to get mine done does them all the time. I have yet to see a problem with any swap 2.0 they have done. jus take your time. They also told me that if the did a 2.0 ej20X swap, that I would have no ideal when I looked under thee hood that it was a 2.0.