LegacyGT.com

3D Printing Development Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything fits pretty good had to use a little Jb wield to hold the mpg display down because pressing a button would cause it to push inwards but that's because the side tabs are broken.00a1ff1b79d63d1d4fbf4f7e281c688d.jpg3afdeaf584e953d842f5d3568b2266f4.jpg

For the wideband I think I'm going to tap from the cig lighter not sure how much the wideband draws but I don't use anything but a phone charger in that spot anyways the other two can go on the IGN feed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkb51809e651aba5706d11ade0692dbb78.jpg

Edited by 1-3-2-4

• 6 months later...
Hello. I’m installing a DCCD controller in my 09 LGT. I need to mount the switches and LED indicator strip. Can somebody here print me a blank panel for the cubby? Something that I can trim with a utility knife or dremel to mount my switches.
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
If you want to buy one we're happy to get it done, but at this time he has no interest in releasing the file.

Sorry.

Let me know if you want to get one going.

I'd like to buy one of the 3 gauge pods. Does it cover the clock like the closed cubby door does? I find I can never see the clock in sunlight with my current cubby pod.

Ok, I'm a big dummy, help!

I went to Shapeways to have the triple Cubbypod printed.

It looks like I upload the Guage_Pod_Triple.stl? But that is without the tabs? It won't let me upload the step file.

It asks inches, millimeters or meters for the model?

Is Versatile Plastic what people choose? Looks like there a bunch of options? The Black Natural is $85, Black Premium is $170.

I feel like I'm making a bunch of guesses here. :) I also looked at 3dhubs.com and don't know whether to choose PLA, ABS, PETG, or the 5 other options. :)

Edited by SSpeed

Typically when dealing with 3D printing most "sane" people stick to metric when designing, so millimeters is likely the unit.

In the comment section he responds to a question in mm... so just that is my educated guess.

It looks like I upload the Guage_Pod_Triple.stl? But that is without the tabs? It won't let me upload the step file.

Is Versatile Plastic what people choose? Looks like there a bunch of options? The Black Natural is $85, Black Premium is $170.

I feel like I'm making a bunch of guesses here. :) I also looked at 3dhubs.com and don't know whether to choose PLA, ABS, PETG, or the 5 other options. :)

PLA is an absolute no-no for anything going into a car. It will warp and deform in the summer heat or underhood temperatures. ABS is probably one of the better options, as it can be smoothed with acetone vapor. PETG is great and does not have as high a susceptibility to warpage during printing.

For any of the prints, you can use automotive sandable primer to add a top coat and finish with paint for a clean look.

Dont know how well self promotion is taken here but my brother and I (mostly my brother) run a shop called 3dmusketeers. We can 3d print it for you, and I own a LGT wagon to make sure everything fits correctly. We would recommend PETG and we have a ton of colors, including translucent and fluorescent stuff. Now unfortunately I am selling my wagon, but that's only because it has front end damage but it's not going anywhere in the short term. You can find us on 3dhubs if you would rather go through them but working directly through our site will be less expensive. http://www.3dmusketeers.com

feel free to delete this post if it isnt allowed :)

• 1 year later...
Has anybody scanned the oem navigation or Jdm double din cubby brackets? Looking at installing a short chassis receiver in the cubby to 1. avoid spending 250$ on the JDM hvac swap and 2. Keep it looking kinda OEMish. Edited by Murchadh
Misspelling

Has anybody scanned the oem navigation or Jdm double din cubby brackets? Looking at installing a short chassis receiver in the cubby to 1. avoid spending 250$ on the JDM hvac swap and 2. Keep it looking kinda OEMish.

Some of the double din size JDM navi bezels are on eBay right now for ~$80. Just buy that and build brackets. You can only fit mechless units, but there are plenty of good ones now.

Has anybody scanned the oem navigation or Jdm double din cubby brackets? Looking at installing a short chassis receiver in the cubby to 1. avoid spending 250$ on the JDM hvac swap and 2. Keep it looking kinda OEMish.

It’s been asked about numerous times and no, it has not be scanned or printed.

I’m pretty sure even the cheapest print on shapeways is going to cost you nearly as much.

Not sure if this has been discussed. How about a larger hood scoop? Like the cyber r hood scoop?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I've thought about this idea quite a few times, and I'm sure many other people probably have also.

I've even gone as far as 3d scanning the scoop area. Time is my biggest restriction at this point because it's hard to justify spending hours upon hours designing and printing something that most likely wouldn't look as good as it does in my head.

I've thought about this idea quite a few times, and I'm sure many other people probably have also.

I've even gone as far as 3d scanning the scoop area. Time is my biggest restriction at this point because it's hard to justify spending hours upon hours designing and printing something that most likely wouldn't look as good as it does in my head.

can i get that scanned file? my time is worthless

can i get that scanned file? my time is worthless

I'd love to give it to you but it's incomplete... or at least it's not complete enough to be helpful. I took a million photos but the software didn't recognize enough points. Maybe this weekend I'll try it again with different lighting to see if I can get better results. Covering the entire scoop in masking tape (a matte surface) might do the trick.

I'd love to give it to you but it's incomplete... or at least it's not complete enough to be helpful. I took a million photos but the software didn't recognize enough points. Maybe this weekend I'll try it again with different lighting to see if I can get better results. Covering the entire scoop in masking tape (a matte surface) might do the trick.

that would be awesome, if you can get me that file I will play around with scoop options in my down time at work. if you can get some of the hood infront of it to that would great, I have been heavily considering making the scoop larger by lowering the hood infront of it rather than making the scoop itself taller. if/when i go for some more power.

that would be awesome, if you can get me that file I will play around with scoop options in my down time at work. if you can get some of the hood infront of it to that would great, I have been heavily considering making the scoop larger by lowering the hood infront of it rather than making the scoop itself taller. if/when i go for some more power.
Probably easier to just cut a scoop out of a newer wrx/sti and have it implanted into a lgt hood.
* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

if you have the file I can give it a try. also would like to 3dprint spats

Wouldn't they be a bit large for most printers? Or make them modular?

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Probably easier to just cut a scoop out of a newer wrx/sti and have it implanted into a lgt hood.

i thought of that also but the new wrx has that large lowered section in front of it. so i'm thinking i can almost mimic that, swapping one over from a previous gen woul probably be easy enough tho i guess.