LegacyGT.com

Blow By How much is too much

chessyB

So I was just doing an oil change on the 08 XT, I'm using T6 Rotella 5w-40 in case anyone is wondering.

I noticed some oil that shot out of the fill tube when I stated it "cap still off"

With Cummins motors, away you can tell if it has excessive blow by, if the cap kind of just sits there and bounces or if it fly's away. IE bouncing = good, flying away = Bad.

I know that a EJ25 is not a Cummins 5.9, but after flipping the cap I noticed it bounced. Not knowing all that much specifically about the EJ I have no way to tell if this is normal not.

Without doing a compression check or a leak down, is there a easy trick to tell if you have a problem.

"I'm also thinking the PCV valve could be stuck open"

Here is a link to the video I made so it will be easier to understand

Thank you

Funny....I have the EJ and the 24v Cummins. I got rid of the factory catch can on the Dodge as it made a mess of the front of the engine. The problem now is she likes to mark her territory as far as drips from the crank case vent that I piped up and over the engine and dropped by the bell housing. The oil cap doesn't fly off but does bounce around. She's good at 227k.

I haven't noticed any puffs from the EJ but it's only at 72k and I replaced the pcv about 10k ago. I will check and post my findings. Both run Rotella T6 as does the Gravely, the wheeler......everything lives on T6.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk