LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Worked on a rear lower strut bolt for idk how many hours, finally got it out of there with my sledge, heat and PBB. Ruined the bolt and may have broken my hand in the process, not super happy with this car at the moment.

Yesterday, took it for its first drive since I passed the 1000mi mark. Drove it up to Franconia Airport and back for a couple glider flights at a new airport and some pretty scenery:

http://i.imgur.com/UIoH4l8l.jpg

I'm for certain losing oil somehow. Smelling a little burning in the cabin, little bits of smoke under the hood occasionally, and looks like I lost almost a quart since the oil change (under 300mi). Pulled the undertray, back of the airbox, intercooler, etc., and did some digging. Saw a little bit of oil pooling near one of the breathers hooking up to the RH side valve cover, but otherwise no obvious leaks. All of the post-inlet silicone look like they're "sweating" oil, so I'm hoping this isn't all just excessive blow-by. No signs of oil leaks anywhere on the oil pan, turbo oil return, turbo oil feed, or LH side breathers. Also no oil pooling in the IC or the related hoses. Would be really upsetting if the break-in procedure given to me by the machine shop that I followed to a tee didn't seat the rings well (and in all honesty... next motor if/when I ever do that will be getting a "hard" break-in).

http://i.imgur.com/bJFllSNl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kxM6nXOl.jpg

Also found that one of the small elbow hoses out of the water pump has a small crack in it, and this is certainly leaking (as evidenced by the caked on coolant stains on the shielding on my headers). New hoses on order. Not looking forward to the ensuing mess guaranteed to occur while replacing these. :spin:

New front o2 sensor in my 2007. Made a major difference in the issues it’s having. Still clicking on left u-turns and dumped half its rear diff fluid on my garage floor while jacked up for o2 sensor change. Going back to Subaru this week to replace the axle seal, again (it wasn’t leaking before they changed that axle, and they did put in a new seal).

Worked on a rear lower strut bolt for idk how many hours, finally got it out of there with my sledge, heat and PBB. Ruined the bolt and may have broken my hand in the process, not super happy with this car at the moment.

Hope your hand heals well.

Yeah old bolts on old cars...not fun.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Kitty litter then Tide detergent and a stiff broom.

Oil soak up mat's from the auto parts store.

Yeah, that hypoid gear oil stinks.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Maybe that’s why it pissed all over my floor today. That stuff stinks! Any tips to get it cleaned off concrete?
I've used Castrol super clean and a pressure washer. Of course you can go old school... oil dry, use a block of wood to grind in said oil dry and soak/clean the floor, then use some dawn soap for final clean and smell removal..

Today I finally did my oil change, went a bit too far, 5200 miles! However only used 2 quarts in the process...

Still to do..

Front caliper bracket slide pins,

Install wideband O² sensor and gague,

Install boost gague,

Install said gagues in newer cubby,

Clean... clean... clean.....

Scotty

What are your recommended shops? I been doing small tinkering here and there with the wish of getting a lift one day but would like someone with more Subaru experience to take a look.
There is a shop out in Exeter, RI that mainly works on Subaru's. I've towed a couple of cars there and quite a few people on MassSubaru have had awesome experiences with them. When I finish my chores list above and a few other odds and ends, l'll be sending my car there for a dyno tune.

Scotty

It really is a never-ending cycle with these cars, isn't it? To be fair, this wasn't a fault of the LGT, but still just annoying.

Drove it to visit my parents (yes, small coolant leak and all), all fine. As I left, turned off of their street and felt the car pulling heavily to the left. Went another couple 100ft before I pulled over to find my FL tire flat. Turned around and parked it at my parents', borrowed my dad's Outback and did a round trip to pick up my jack, impact and torque wrench, and switched my spare set of spec.B wheels with winters on to the car in the dark. Funnily enough, once I made it back to my parents' place, there was a car pulled over exactly where I had pulled over that was just finishing up with a tire change. I offered to help but they'd already finished up. I suspect we both ran over the same thing. What luck.

So I finally have my fuel pressure sensor wired in so I can log fuel pressure at something other than idle or with the gauge taped to my windshield. :lol:

I used the same type of sensor as my oil pressure sensor, so I can stop and switch which one plugs into the driver's side TGV connector depending on what I need to log.

I ran a test 3rd gear run and built this chart.

(I actually ran a pair of runs, but the other chart looks very similar)

3rdGearFPChart.thumb.png.81275e0304eed57c6916d40f6cd98bd1.png

I'm not really crazy about that fluctuation in the fuel pressure, but not sure how smooth it's really supposed to be.

Trying to research if that's "normal" or if I need to address it.

I have the 04-07 STi FPR with vacuum sourced from the BOV instead of the port on Cyl 4 intake.

I installed a AEM 50-1000 FP 3.5yrs ago, wondering if I need to redo o-rings or similar.

I'm not pushing high injector DC (max 75%), so I don't think it's a voltage issue (but maybe it is).

Thoughts or experiences?

Edited by Infosecdad

What are you troubleshooting?

Nothing in particular at the moment.

I had it setup to test out stumble issues, but largely have them resolved.

This was the first time I could see fuel pressure data with a pull and I'm trying to figure out if this is something "normal" or if I have something going on that I can't feel yet.

Infosecdad, fuel pressure seems high to me, which explains why its running almost 10:1 AFR. I will have a similar setup with E-content on one TGV and the pressure sensor tied into the other. Will be running an Aeromotive unit -6an.

Edit:could be the graph is too tiny for my old eyes lol

Infosecdad, fuel pressure seems high to me, which explains why its running almost 10:1 AFR. I will have a similar setup with E-content on one TGV and the pressure sensor tied into the other. Will be running an Aeromotive unit -6an.

Edit:could be the graph is too tiny for my old eyes lol

If you click on it, it gets bigger if that helps :-D

You might be right.

I calculated where I should be for fuel pressure based on 43+boost psi, and that data is showing a fairly consistent 5-6 psi higher than my calculations. Not sure what exactly that means yet though.

Searching for a front-end rattle helped me solve 2 problems. The bolt securing one of the Koni Yellow inserts at the base of the strut housing was not fully tightened. I know I torqued it properly back when I got it. All I can guess is 50k+ miles of driving/crappy western PA roads allowed it to come loose over time. No more rattles over bumps.

Also found a loose heat-shield on the OEM up-pipe. Solved that by stuffing the space between with some DEI exhaust wrap (just a temporary fix until the Killer B setup goes on). Speaking of - something gorgeous arrived today:

IMG_5825.thumb.jpg.a69f2e2ca480505b42132401c3b77977.jpg

Searching for a front-end rattle helped me solve 2 problems. The bolt securing one of the Koni Yellow inserts at the base of the strut housing was not fully tightened. I know I torqued it properly back when I got it. All I can guess is 50k+ miles of driving/crappy western PA roads allowed it to come loose over time. No more rattles over bumps.

Also found a loose heat-shield on the OEM up-pipe. Solved that by stuffing the space between with some DEI exhaust wrap (just a temporary fix until the Killer B setup goes on). Speaking of - something gorgeous arrived today:

Solved my front end rattle.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/chasing-low-speed-front-end-rattle-clunk-283669.html

It really is a never-ending cycle with these cars, isn't it? To be fair, this wasn't a fault of the LGT, but still just annoying.

Drove it to visit my parents (yes, small coolant leak and all), all fine. As I left, turned off of their street and felt the car pulling heavily to the left. Went another couple 100ft before I pulled over to find my FL tire flat. Turned around and parked it at my parents', borrowed my dad's Outback and did a round trip to pick up my jack, impact and torque wrench, and switched my spare set of spec.B wheels with winters on to the car in the dark. Funnily enough, once I made it back to my parents' place, there was a car pulled over exactly where I had pulled over that was just finishing up with a tire change. I offered to help but they'd already finished up. I suspect we both ran over the same thing. What luck.

It's a never ending cycle for me... period. All of my vehicles need attention. What I mentioned for the LGT is just the beginning. Nevermind what I need to do on my Daytona Shelby or my truck....

Where is that "easy" button...

Scotty

I pulled the floor panels out of the trunk and think I diagnosed a creaking/grinding noise in my 05 to a loose bolt in the shock mount. I have primitive spacers with bolts and one of the bolts is just spinning so the intermediate nut must not have been tightened properly. Hopefully I can get the top nut off tonight and get everything pulled apart and tightened up.

If it is still making noise, perhaps I will need a new shock mount and get rid of the spacers. This leads to my question - what is the ride height difference between wagon STi pinks and King KSRS-29 and KSRL-29 (I don't know which ones I have sitting in the box). I'll do some searching but I don't recall seeing much about the KSRS-29.