LegacyGT.com

Different Catless uppipe question

Hey im looking at getting a catless uppipe but i am also thinking about swapping the stock turbo to a BNR 18G with all the supporting mods as well but the turbo will wait until springtime. Im a new owner and the car has 247, xxx kms right now so the uppipe is a priority. My question is it better to go with solid or flexed? And can i use a high flow uppipe with a 2inch diameter on stock turbo or is that not good? And is the regular 1.75 inch good enough to maximize the 18g or will i just need to get another uppipe down the road. Thanks for the help appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Look through the for sale forum on NASIOC and find a OEM up pipe from a STI. They were catless and will last forever.

I'm not a big fan of the flex joint, they always end up leaking at some point.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Look through the for sale forum on NASIOC and find a OEM up pipe from a STI. They were catless and will last forever.

I'm not a big fan of the flex joint, they always end up leaking at some point.

Do you know if a forester xt uppipe would fit?

Seems like it should fit these are all the same basic set up.

Look online at some of the vendor sites and see if they list the same Invidia Up pipe for the cars.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Beware of Grimmspeed UP as I just had one fail at the flex joint and I don't even drive my car in the winter. Rusted through the flex joint and also the so-called stainless woven material over the flex joint. It was only about 3.5 years old too.

Hey im looking at getting a catless uppipe but i am also thinking about swapping the stock turbo to a BNR 18G with all the supporting mods as well but the turbo will wait until springtime. Im a new owner and the car has 247, xxx kms right now so the uppipe is a priority. My question is it better to go with solid or flexed? And can i use a high flow uppipe with a 2inch diameter on stock turbo or is that not good? And is the regular 1.75 inch good enough to maximize the 18g or will i just need to get another uppipe down the road. Thanks for the help appreciate it.

You had better plan on injectors and fuel pump too. 18G is a pretty large step up from a VF40 and you'll definitely need a custom tune. Why are you going to go to 18G? A lot of potential lag but you'll be able to go 150 mph.

Beware of Grimmspeed UP as I just had one fail at the flex joint and I don't even drive my car in the winter. Rusted through the flex joint and also the so-called stainless woven material over the flex joint. It was only about 3.5 years old too.

I will agree, I never liked the flex joints. even from the factory. I see Subaru has a issue with them on the 2015's Outbacks. https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/17-outback-exhaust-manifold-leak-at-flex-joint.526816/#post-6038878

GF's 08 Ford had the flex joint go back in 2014, not many miles on the ford either.

You had better plan on injectors and fuel pump too. 18G is a pretty large step up from a VF40 and you'll definitely need a custom tune. Why are you going to go to 18G? A lot of potential lag but you'll be able to go 150 mph.
Plan is to do injectors pump, downpipe and custom tune all at the same time. I wasnt sure which would be better the 16g or 18g so naturally at the same price point i assumed more horsepower would be better. My main goal is to smoke Ecoboost mustangs and make some BMW owners cry.

5EAT

Just thinking the 18g may be to much for the 5eat to handle over time. (?)

Anyone else have thoughts ?