LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

I am assuming you're still using OEM axles right?

Yes, out of a 07' spec B.

Did they change the boots at some point? I only see the boots you purchased available for 2008 and 2009 LGT's. My 2005 LGT and also the 2007 spec b are showing a different kit which is $71 a piece, which is why I was considering the Beck/arnley's.

I would really prefer to stick with OEM axles.

I replaced axle boots on a half shaft years ago. It was more of a struggle that replacing a tire with old style tire irons. If I face that kind of job again, I'm just getting an axle...

I'm not looking forward to rebuilding them, but I'd also really prefer to stick with OEM axles and a new one just over $300.

Wait, it is a 6MT? So different axles than the ones going in the 5MT? If yes, then probably different boot kit then.

I think I replaced at least 10 boots in more than 10 years of ownership :lol:

It's actually not that bad really. And Subaru now provides (mostly) tool free boot clamps too. Interesting thing is that when I installed these two new inner front boots with fresh grease a month ago, it got rid of low speed vibration (under load). Keep in mind the car is a bit lifted though.

note: my front cv axles are from FEQ, not OEM.

Anyone have any experience with the Beck/Arnley boots from Rock Auto?

Yup, I just did this not long ago on my front-left corner (spec.B, so same 6MT + axles as you I believe):

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5987879&postcount=3704

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5988300&postcount=3731

I had no problems doing it, was a quick and easy job. If you caught it quick enough after the boot split, I would highly recommend this since it's cheap, quick, and easy, plus you have no worries about reman axles being unbalanced, etc.

Wait, it is a 6MT? So different axles than the ones going in the 5MT? If yes, then probably different boot kit then.

Yes, my car is a 05' but it has a full spec B transmission swap from an 07'.

I was under the impression that the front axles were the same for both though.

According to the boots though, Subaru changed something in 08+ though.

Consider https://www.raxles.com/ if you go the axle replacement direction.

Any idea what the ballpark is on these?

Yup, I just did this not long ago on my front-left corner (spec.B, so same 6MT + axles as you I believe):

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5987879&postcount=3704

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5988300&postcount=3731

I had no problems doing it, was a quick and easy job. If you caught it quick enough after the boot split, I would highly recommend this since it's cheap, quick, and easy, plus you have no worries about reman axles being unbalanced, etc.

Ok, thank you. Beck/Arnley bots seemed pretty decent though?

Ok, thank you. Beck/Arnley bots seemed pretty decent though?

Yeah, didn't feel like I was cutting any corners going with that vs OEM. It's a rubber boot and a not particularly demanding application for grease, and some basic clamps (I did buy a CV boot clamp wrench). More important to me was making sure to thoroughly clean the cup and all of the rollers.

I believe raxles are just under $200. You gotta call to order. They have a good overall reputation on other platforms, but a few members here still had issues. I thought max capacity had some for a year or two before developing an issue.

Although I think I read they can't do the 6mt cuz they can't source new end pieces anymore or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I will add my 2 cents regarding rebooting the OE axles....I HIGHLY recommend using OE boot kits. Yeah they aren't cheap but OE is always better for rubber components than aftermarket unless it is an honest sports grade component. All the reman axles and rebooting kits use similar Chinese sourced components that will fail again in short order. OE rubber on axles lasts 10 years while aftermarket will last 2-3 years. I used to work for a company that remanufactured axles. You don't want to know how the hot dog is made

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

I would agree with this. I installed these FEQ axles last year and both inner boots failed a year later!

In addition, having the passenger side inner boot so close to the downpipe doesn't help either.

That's why I decided to use OEM boots.

And I would doubt that something changed with the axles between 06 and 07. In other words, I would really think that 05 boots (the part number I listed) should work for 07-09 cars. Someone else could confirm. Underdog, what do you think? Are you here? :hide:

I would agree with this. I installed these FEQ axles last year and both inner boots failed a year later!

In addition, having the passenger side inner boot so close to the downpipe doesn't help either.

And I would doubt that something changed with the axles between 06 and 07. In other words, I would really think that 05 boots (the part number I listed) should work for 07-09 cars. Someone else could confirm. Underdog, what do you think? Are you here? :hide:

This is what I'm trying to avoid. I'd like to install or rebuild the axle and not even think about it for the next 10 years.

Not sure I ever noticed a physical difference, but its been a long few years. Sure enough Subaru did change the boot kit (and axle) part numbers in the 2007 model year. 28397AG00A boot kit covers the 05-07, and 28397AG000 covers 07-09. Did I understand the question correctly?

I'm getting the same result. The 05-07 OEM boots are considerably more expensive though, like $70 a side for inner and outer so $140 total just for boots for one axle. The 08-09 boots are about $30 a side, so $60 total.

CVJ axle in Denver. OEM rebuild axles only, something like $120 total (5mt, not sure about 6mt) once you return your core iirc

Thanks, I'll check them out too!

Question for y'all:

- What roof boxes do people prefer?

I have been looking at thule and yakima, and i din't think i can see a real difference that sways me one way or the other. All opinions welcome. Just getting it to extend the stuff we can pack for trips, as we are always stuffing the car full and then jamming two kids and a dog on top of it.

Also, whatever you do, don't get rid of an oem axle. Aftermarket rebuilds have been junk for me, if you even get one that fits (took me several tries feom autozone). I'll be doing raxles next time.

And i thought front axles were the same between 5mt and 6mt? I thought ut was just the rear?

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

For boxes just get whatever is available used. They all have the same issues, flexy lids and silly hinges.

I went very specific and for a thule vector because I was looking for a box long enough for big skis that wouldn't interfere at all with the hatch. Also didn't like the aesthetics of the current Yakima and the thule vector was just too expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question for y'all:

I have been looking at thule and yakima, and i din't think i can see a real difference that sways me one way or the other. All opinions welcome. Just getting it to extend the stuff we can pack for trips, as we are always stuffing the car full and then jamming two kids and a dog on top of it.

Also, whatever you do, don't get rid of an oem axle. Aftermarket rebuilds have been junk for me, if you even get one that fits (took me several tries feom autozone). I'll be doing raxles next time.

And i thought front axles were the same between 5mt and 6mt? I thought ut was just the rear?

I have a yakima skybox 16cu. I like it. Stuffed it with a LOT of stuff. Mileage will get affected though. Can't tell you exactly how much since I always add bikes on the roof in addition to the box.

Having a small trailer would be nice too.

IMG_20200709_135858.thumb.jpg.29bbb150ce1d87d4848b8e95bae9f8c6.jpg

pulled the transmission, engine and dropped the front subframe. Any maintenance items that are worth doing with this out?

Heater hoses. Look around the engine bay...I'm sure you'll find something. ;)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Isn't there a post in JmP's sticky about axles, ?

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238p8.html

Just a friendly reminder to use that thread.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Question for y'all:

I have a Thule Motion XT Alpine. It's not that tall but long for skis. The lock and latch system doesn't hang up and it can be opened from both sides. I happened to get it 40% off using a Thule pro deal. Now that I think about it, I think my pro deal is about to expire... gonna go look at what they have to offer.