LegacyGT.com

Checking oil levels and filling

So I'm about 1200 or so miles into my first oil change on the new block. Checked the levels when I got home from work and it's about right the middle of the dots. My understanding is the at the lower dot, it's 1qt low.

So my question is how anal is everyone with this. I understand new engines use oil as do these cars in general. Do you top it off now? When it's a quart low? A little bit every fuel fill? Never had to be concerned about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALWAY's top it off, a little over is better then low.

I hate how hard it is to get a true oil level reading on these things.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I check mine every week, and after long trips. I also carry 5 extra quarts and a filter. If it is low I do top it off. I know these car burn oil and I am not trying to buy another short block lol

I also check mine after it has been sitting in the garage over night. I clean the dip stick 4 times and then I get a good front and back reading.

I check mine every week, and after long trips. I also carry 5 extra quarts and a filter. If it is low I do top it off. I know these car burn oil and I am not trying to buy another short block lol

I also check mine after it has been sitting in the garage over night. I clean the dip stick 4 times and then I get a good front and back reading.

This, my 05 loves to drink oil randomly. Long trips are a constant.

a 5L jug and a filter is super cheap insurance compared to a rebuild

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

Wow full oil change. But yea that makes sense, I don't have desire or money for another rebuild in the next like five years. My average drive is about 10 miles. Everything in the valley is super close together. That includes getting to the ski resorts.

I think I need to get cargo nets or something. Stuff in the back drives me crazy in the wagon. I did notice the spare area has a lot of room and plan to get a cheap set of tools for that area. Can probably fit a filter there as well. Maybe even a gallon of oil. For whatever reason rotella is 4qt not 5.

If you're checking frequently, one quart should suffice, and that will fit in the removable side panels in the wagon's trunk.

That's what I was thinking. Although I'll eventually lose the passenger side to a sub so I'm trying not to rely on that space.

I keep a nice plastic box behind the drivers seat with Oil, rags/paper towels, gloves. Under the cargo area cover there is a set of cheap HF tools and more gloves, rags...LOL

Oh, and a LED work light.

When I got to work today, I park on level ground, loosen the oil fill cap, pull the dip stick, wipe it, lay it on the intake, close the hood. After work I'll check the oil level, add as needed. Do that at least once a week.

with 130,000 miles on the ej257, I do find it will use more oil if I use more boost.

Oh, the wagon also has a tire plug kit. It's come in handy at least once. The tool box in the shed has a kit too.

Yea, some day I may get one of those compressors that runs off the battery.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I actually have a battery powered compressor at home. Little handheld ryobi one. It's not amazing but I bought it for quick bike fills at events so it never needed to be amazing. I take it with me on car trips now just in case.

Tire plug kit is a good idea. I popped the hood before work the other day and didn't close it fully because I planned to open it again after work. Was on the highway when I noticed it jiggling. That was scary. Thankful for that safety catch.

I appreciate all the suggestions. Understanding a car uses oil and understanding when and how to check along with what people keep in the car are very different haha.

So after work today, I opened the hood, put the dip stick back in...then went and checked the tranny fluid. When I came back to check the oil, the level was fine, at the full line on both sides of the stick. Normally when I put it in, wait a second, pull it back out, the level is higher on one side and a V on the other side.

May be also ask Santa for a portable compressor for the car. That would be a nice to have with my other two. Each Shed has one, well one is just a pump without a tank, the 30 gallon one is in the main shed at the top of the driveway.

Just put this on the list for Santa.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-1-portable-power-pack-with-jump-starter-62374.html?cid=paid_google|||62374&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&mkwid=s|pcrid|405366526999|pkw||pmt||pdv|c|slid||product|62374|&pgrid=91759241012&ptaid=pla-301152900452&pcid=8515059530&intent=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9pLKkpKx5gIVxZyzCh1cHw__EAQYBSABEgKawvD_BwE

Edited by Max Capacity

I check my oil probably every other gas fill up, so every 500 miles. Park it, open the hood and the oil fill cap, lift the dipstick out of the tube. Proceed to fill the gas tank and when I'm done gassing I'll check the dipstick two or three times. Fill as necessary.

Make sure you get your car nice and hot every once in awhile, get it on the highway for a good 20-30 min drive, and check the oil afterwards. I've found my wagon eats more oil if I've been driving it a lot around town, 10 minutes here and there, and then I go for a nice long drive (see - fuel dilution).