LegacyGT.com

"plug " Whiteline KCA334 "Anti-Lift Kit

robinlsb

Just a thumbs up for the anti lift kit.

This kits allows adjustment of caster and I installed one a few days ago. The car, with ZERO toe in and caster set to max, now tracks down the road like a train.:)

I recently put Conti extreme contact DW's (not DWS's)and ,true to road tests, the car needed more directional stability. The WH kit eliminated this weakness.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

i ordered mine today as well. it's so nice that we can finally benefit from the wrx/STi part sharing. i had one on the wrx and it really woke up the front end. definitely worth replacing the front LCA bushings while the arm is off.

• 2 weeks later...
you want as much as possible for the front.

+100, it does not affect tire wear. The more postive caster, the better it tracks.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

G’day everyone,

Glad to see some positive feedback on the ALK but I just wanted to respond to the caster angle and tyre wear point.

Robinlsb, extra caster actually does affect tyre wear but in the positive. Not wishing to be pedantic but we like to make this point as increased caster is partly about reducing tyre wear because you can reduce the amount of static negative camber.

High levels of positive caster equate to dynamic negative camber on turn when you need it most. (Have a look at the front wheels of a Mercedes or Audi when parking.) We continue to put heavy emphasis on additional positive caster when designing new suspension packages products.

As a pre-emptive angle, static camber is set to negative to pre-empt a dynamic requirement on turn to maintain grip with body and tyre roll. This increases tyre wear when driving straight ahead and reduces contact patch and grip under acceleration and braking.

For more on caster and the advantages of positive caster there’s a bit of a summary here. Hope that helps

Cheers

Whiteline Jim

jim@whiteline.com.au

G’day everyone,

Glad to see some positive feedback on the ALK but I just wanted to respond to the caster angle and tyre wear point.

Robinlsb, extra caster actually does affect tyre wear but in the positive. Not wishing to be pedantic but we like to make this point as increased caster is partly about reducing tyre wear because you can reduce the amount of static negative camber.

High levels of positive caster equate to dynamic negative camber on turn when you need it most. (Have a look at the front wheels of a Mercedes or Audi when parking.) We continue to put heavy emphasis on additional positive caster when designing new suspension packages products.

As a pre-emptive angle, static camber is set to negative to pre-empt a dynamic requirement on turn to maintain grip with body and tyre roll. This increases tyre wear when driving straight ahead and reduces contact patch and grip under acceleration and braking.

For more on caster and the advantages of positive caster there’s a bit of a summary here. Hope that helps

Cheers

Whiteline Jim

jim@whiteline.com.au

Hey Jim,

Any update on when we're going to see some com c front mounts for the BL/BP Legacy and GR Impreza chassis?

Thanks,

Erik

^^^ Holy Crap I was just thinking the same thing!!

I am desparate for these new tops!! Please tell me I can call the US distributor and actually find them.

-Drew

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

^ Did you do it yourself of paid some one? I have all front/rear LCA bushings + bump-steer kit laying around, but it seems like if I don't want to pay for the job I better score some control arms first so that I can have the bushings pressed in first.

I had Subimods do it. With 5 years of gunk seizing things up it was a bear of a job loosening things up. The ritual was 1) grunt, 2) swear, 3) walk away and regroup mentally, 4) try again.

If you can score the control arms from a part out that would help but with a 08, yours might be easier than mine.

^Could you share (or PM) how much did you pay for this? It seems that scoring a set of LCA for my car is kinda hard and expensive, and the alternative of pedaling to the machine shop is not that appealing so I might have shop around for someone to do it for me.

^^^ Holy Crap I was just thinking the same thing!!

I am desparate for these new tops!! Please tell me I can call the US distributor and actually find them.

-Drew

i thought you were using rce camber plates? any reason for change?

I have to say, after having the WALK kit installed 2 days ago I can say that the fun is back :dm:, the front end of the car is so much steadier and solid through turns, this is how it should have came from the factory!

+1 for this kit in my book

^Could you share (or PM) how much did you pay for this? It seems that scoring a set of LCA for my car is kinda hard and expensive, and the alternative of pedaling to the machine shop is not that appealing so I might have shop around for someone to do it for me.

For what it is worth, you do need a press to get the whiteline anti lift kit in. Most shops that know what they are doing will charge about 3 hours to do the job. For me it's money well spent...

there's a good pic of it in this thread...

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-suspension-handling-stiffening/137600-what-tool-adjust-whiteline-alk-kca334.html

Finally got my WALK installed along with new front inner LCA bushings and alignment. I didn't really pick up any more caster which is sort of a bummer. I ended up with 6.85 left and 6.25 right which is about what I had before. The front end is sharper for sure, but it's not as pronounced as I was expecting. I notice it the most when the front end is fully loaded in a corner, a lot of the mush is gone. The difference in steering feedback is more subtle. And no difference in NVH which is always nice...

Finally got my WALK installed along with new front inner LCA bushings and alignment. I didn't really pick up any more caster which is sort of a bummer. I ended up with 6.85 left and 6.25 right which is about what I had before. The front end is sharper for sure, but it's not as pronounced as I was expecting. I notice it the most when the front end is fully loaded in a corner, a lot of the mush is gone. The difference in steering feedback is more subtle. And no difference in NVH which is always nice...

This is my exact impression of the kit as well, the steering is far more precise and controlled when mid turn under load, but still has a slight off center dead zone, albeit with much less play than stock, but not nonexistent. On a side note, did you measure your caster yourself? because i'm not sure who aligned my car after the installation took into account the full range of adjustment available with the WALK

it was aligned at at shop on a rack (IAG). I compared the alignment specs with the last time it was aligned (by the dealer) a couple years ago when i put on the bilsteins and pinks. the alignment took a long time because the front left tie rod was seized, so i don't think they spent any time adjusting the WALK. but they got more negative camber up front (~ -1.2) , so i'm happy.

• 3 weeks later...

G’day everyone,

Not sure if you'd seen this bit of news about the new 2011 series Sti http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2011-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-first-drive/full/#3183761 . The picture shows the new part described below.

"... but the icing on the cake has to be the car's new pillow ball bushings where the front wishbones meet the body structure. Instead of a traditional rubber bushing, Subaru has decided to go with a steel ball nestled in a metal sleeve...." .

We think its pretty likely that this part will also make it the GT soonish but nice to see a stock version getting closer to our KCA334M. :) However, it's more like our first generation kit that had some issues with separation and de-lamination. :icon_excl Will be interesting to see how they go in the STI and if the follow through to something like our new aluminium cased version.

Has anyone read anything about the next GT?

Cheers

Whiteline Jim

jim@whiteline.com.au

• 2 years later...

Archived