LegacyGT.com

Hit pothole, dented rim.. Repair or replace?

I hit a huge pothole @ the interchange of 90 West and 145 North to Worcester, MA. If I had been going highway speed it would have been a blowout. I had slowed to take the exit and BAM! Passenger front.. Can feel a thud and shudder in wheel afterwards.. Visually, I can see the rim has a dent in it making it out of round.. I could repair, but thinking I just want to replace with a new rim for my car. (2015 3.6 R Limited) Does anyone have an idea where to get a replacement rim?

Replace! You can probably still buy a new OE wheel direct from Subaru for less than $250.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I would say have it assessed by a trusted mechanic. If its just the lip it possibly could be corrected by someone who does that sort of thing. I am on a tight budget these days so for me I would consider the repair route first. You can always purchase a rim anytime. Just IO

Search your are for "wheel repair shops", have one of them tell you if its safe to repair.

A junk yard may have a wheel too.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wheel+repari+shop+Boston+MA&rlz=1C1OKWM_enUS906US906&oq=wheel+repari+shop+Boston+MA&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.9742j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

Gee a pothole on the Mass Pike, glad you pay a toll to drive on that...so they can keep it in great shape.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 4 weeks later...
I drove over a hunk of metal in 2018 and had to have both left rims replaced due to baseball sized dents in them. My dealership ended up being fairly reasonable on the price. I believe they were about $200 for the actual rim and then with the accessory pieces like the dust caps(which you may or may not be able to transfer if they are fine) and labor it ended up like $500ish for both of them, so like $250ish per wheel. Although mine were 17" and I think yours are 18". A used rim might be cheaper if you can find a good one, but if your local place doesn't have one, I found once you add in shipping the new OEM ones aren't much different in price. Rim repair in my mind would only ever be worth it if it was very cheap and very minor. Whenever I've had a car with a an aluminum alloy rim with a tiny dent in it, it ends up driving you crazy, because it'll be fine for months and then suddenly 1 day you'll walk out of work to a flat tire, and the tire shop will fill it back up, clean a little light rust off the interior rim and tell you the tire is fine....until the next time it goes down on you. Plus since you never know when it'll randomly leak you end up wearing tires way faster.