LegacyGT.com

Spooler Questions

'06 LGT Limted, Built EJ257 long block. Custom Grind JE Pistons, race bearings, STI rods and crank.

Stock fuel, I assume stock clutch. Oh, and intake and exhuast. not gonna mess with that rice stuff for now ;)

Since my VF40 was cooked by the failure of a car owner that is the PO of my car. (Also whole longblock, and everything oil passes thru)

Lookin' at either a used TD04 with intercooler or a brand new CHRA with performance compressor wheel. or just a new cartridge with a regular wheel.

The idea with this is that my wallet is lookin' thin and I need it on the road and reliable af for a few years until I probably decide to upgrade to a VF52 or something. Not really a priority for HP right now, but a few years off. Keep that in mind and also know that literally everything else in the longblock is either brand new or rebuilt completely.

I like the idea of a smaller turbo with low end grunt as I currently daily a diesel, but you can't go wrong with a new CHRA as that would be the most reliable option and supply a decent bit more power

Any thoughts? Is it worth upgrading to a fancy wheel on the VF40 CHRA?

A friend of mine just replaced his VF40’s CHRA with an OEM like replacement from a company in Europe or something for less than $200 I believe. Can’t speak on if it’s good or not though since he hasn’t had the car running yet doing other maintenance but he was pretty impressed with initial quality.

If you’re planning to upgrade in the future, I would just bite the bullet on a VF52 and send your VF40 for a rebuild. (JmP on here I hear does a great job) But of course the upgrade will also require a tune.

Let me know if you want me to ask him more about the CHRA.

You can PM him, find him on here.

JmP6889928

He has a sticky up top, so he is easy to find.

You need to tell us if there is any metal in your oil system. Normally when a vf40 goes, it puts oil into the system.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived