LegacyGT.com

lets see here.. dealer truth or do they have a boat payment due?

OK,

Dealer wanted to do my plugs at 60K and quoted me some outrageous price for plugs,, wires, and coils.... My co worker was just quoted $650,,,

Needless to say I was like not this time....as I changed my own plugs and left the original coils in place.

Now from my experience, you only change coils when broken so what say ye all?

1994 honda accord went 209K on original coil

1998 honda accord v6 had 100K on it with original coils

2003 acura cl type S had 148K on it with original coils

2003 subaru legacy has 142k on original coil

2014 legacy has 68K on original coils

I am pretty sure they had a boat payment due....

I would only do a coil when they are broken, unless while you are changing the plugs a coil look suspect. (rusted heated sinks that are starting to expand)

Other than being slightly dirty, they were fine, no oil stains or anything like that....

Replacing old spark plugs with newer ones that are properly gapped will help. You don't need to do wires or coil packs. You only need to replace a single coil pack that is broken. Spark plugs are 20 dollars at most and then labor to replace them might be 40-80 depending on the shop. Walk away from that other place.

Replacing old spark plugs with newer ones that are properly gapped will help. You don't need to do wires or coil packs. You only need to replace a single coil pack that is broken. Spark plugs are 20 dollars at most and then labor to replace them might be 40-80 depending on the shop. Walk away from that other place.

:lol: show me the shop willing to change spark plugs on a Subaru for $80, that is an hour or hour and a half charge minimum. And most will replace and lube the spark plug boots and springs.

:lol: show me the shop willing to change spark plugs on a Subaru for $80, that is an hour or hour and a half charge minimum. And most will replace and lube the spark plug boots and springs.

You make a good point. I am spoiled because I get friends and family pricing at my local shop. Still with the right tool it's a quick job. I'm not sure what the billable hours are though.

when I did my plugs i used a socket 5/8 and 6" extension and ratchet

1. remove intake track (all of it) from left side (standing in front of car looking at engine) will need to unplug MAF and remove the harness from holding spot on intake box.

2. un-clip power steering hose and unbolt power steering tank and set aside

3. starting with front plug, unbolt coil pack and lay aside. I put the bolt in a metal magnet tray.

4. insert spark plug socket into said hole.

5. insert extension into said hole and attach it to spark plug socket

6. attach ratchet to extension and crack plug loose

7. remove ratchet from extension and use fingers to unscrew plug

8. lift up on extension slightly and remove said plug

9. insert new plug into socket, place into hole

10. insert extension into socket and hand thread plug in until it stops

11. attach ratchet and finish tightening down plug plus 1/4 turn

12. remove extension and socket

13. place coil pack back onto plug

14. replace screw

15. reinstall power steering tank and re-clip hose

16. install intake track and re-plug and re-clip MAF sensor

repeat for rear cylinder

Driver side is a bit more entertaining as you have to un-clip the AC and brake line and slide them back a bit so your socket and ext clear them. Also strongly recommend removing said battery to make it easier

do the above steps minus ps tank and intake

IMHO it is not worth it to unbolt the mounts and jack the engine up...

so if you know how to do it, whats the point of this thread? do it yourself and let the dealership rape someone else

the point of the thread was quite clear, might want to read the original post were I specifically stated what it was...and were I also stated I changed my own plugs

here is a refresher

Needless to say I was like not this time....as I changed my own plugs and left the original coils in place.

the point of the thread was quite clear, might want to read the original post were I specifically stated what it was...and were I also stated I changed my own plugs

here is a refresher

I think the issue here is you have a very misleading title. If you want to tell your story tell it. Don't make your title and half of your post read as if you are asking for advice.

If you want to do a write up on how to perform a maintenance on your car make a dedicated thread and include pictures. If the community and the mods deem it useful they will pin it in the appropriate thread for all to reference.

I think the issue here is you have a very misleading title. If you want to tell your story tell it. Don't make your title and half of your post read as if you are asking for advice.

If you want to do a write up on how to perform a maintenance on your car make a dedicated thread and include pictures. If the community and the mods deem it useful they will pin it in the appropriate thread for all to reference.

read the very last sentence of my OP, clearly states that I think dealer had a boat payment due and the question was in regards to coils and what people thought vs dealer advice of auto change (via their quote)

ya'll be reading too much into it and not be taking the time to actually read what was posted

Edited by YeuEmMaiMai