LegacyGT.com

Turbo Heatshield/OEM Skid Plate options

I haven't compared their designs, mostly because I have no idea what the stock one on our GT's look like but does anybody have an idea if the OEM Skid plate from a 15+ WRX would match up to our setup?

I was under my new to me LGT for the first time yesterday and noticed the previous owner just went all raw dog and there sure were a lot of spots where it definitely hit the undercarriage and I don't want to take that chance even if it will probably be fine.

ovwSakw.jpg

(Was removing the Invidia N1 exhaust that made my ears bleed and custom fitting some Nameless mufflers)

I already ordered https://www.carid.com/replace/front-center-engine-splash-shield-mpn-su1228105.html, but I want a piece of metal between the turbo and speed bumps.

See FA20 Skidplate here:

6gr0spA.jpg

I mean I mostly don't want to pay 300+ shipping for a completely overkill (for my use) rally skidplate from Primitive if I have a decent OEM or cheaper solution available to me.

I know you said you don't want to spend the coin on the Primitive plate, but you get what you pay for.

Another thing to consider depending on your weather - my car went through TWO OEM plates that protect the turbo within 40k miles. They take some abuse from moisture and salt from the winter and both times they had rusted apart. The plastic tray was also falling apart. Rather than buy yet another metal plate and new plastic tray, I chose to get the Primitive skid plate which replaces both. I'll never have an issue again and level of protection is far better than any OEM-like solution. It's really worth it in my opinion to protect those expensive bits we have on the GT.

Your turbo is missing the metal heat shield (or it rusted out).

IIRC You can buy the OEM plastic for about $125 from the dealer (it is too big to cost effectively get shipped from a discounter.) I have my original plastic shields, they aren't perfect, but you can have if you want to pick it up in Framingham...

Thanka guys. I got it crappy plastic oem one for 35 shipped from carid. But the stock one definitely rusted out before i got to me, but either way, i think im going to use a spare sheet of alumilite i have in combination with the oem one until i can find a 1/8" skid plate or something not quite overkill for my suburb dad mobile

I'm glad you found a solution that will work for you. I have the thicker primitive plate and I love it. It rings like a gone when it hits a chunk of ice but I know that's something not hitting my turbo. The thinner stuff, if hooked on something hard, will tear and can cause more damage. The thicker stuff will bend and your car will slide over. Those are just worst case scenarios.

Take a look at how it holds up after this winter and you'll see if it's good enough for your driving.

i think im going to use a spare sheet of alumilite i have in combination with the oem one until i can find a 1/8" skid plate or something not quite overkill for my suburb dad mobile

fwiw, I have the 1/8" skidplate from primitive

EDIT: damn it looks like they took it off their site

FWIW I have hit mine more than I thought I would and in a pretty short period of time.

I do think that the way the plate is angled takes away a little bit of clearance on its own... I'm dropped an inch too.

IMG_7775.thumb.jpg.01bc872e2470299f5ad8bfdca545abef.jpg

I contacted primitive today and they said they discontinued the 1/8" plate due to lack of interest but did say that a black friday sale is coming. I may just do that especially if it's a discount that's actually worth it (not 10%) Or something