LegacyGT.com

WRX USA's 09 OBXT Build Thread

WRX USA

I will have to wait until tomorrow for final numbers since Chris will be working on the tune tonight after hours. With the low temps (sub 35 degrees) the numbers on pump gas were about the same as when I had the speed density tune done in September, even with the EWG being rerouted into the exhaust. Injectors, ID1000’s, will be my limiting factor. Edited by WRX USA

I got my car back from Surgeline today.

Installed:

Cobb Flex Fuel Kit with fuel pressure monitoring kit

Fuelab Mini FPR

Build and install additional -4 fuel return line

AEM 340lph fuel pump (DW300c couldn’t keep up)

Rerouted EWG into the downpipe (previously atmosphere)

Dyno results (horsepower/torque):

Pump gas, E10

I - 369/329 (wastegate)

S - 400/375 (18psi)

S# - 419/387 (20psi)

E67 mix

I - 398/378 (wastegate)

S - 439/423 (20psi)

S# - 454/442 (22psi)

It was on a Mustang dyno and temps were in the 30s

92 pump, before and after latest mods

kwIWk9i_d.jpg?maxwidth=2560&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

E67 mix vs. 92 pump (E10)

hd2dN0G_d.jpg?maxwidth=2560&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

92 pump tunes

i9e0mxo_d.jpg?maxwidth=2560&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

*not sure why it’s blurry, but I’ll post a clearer one later

E67 tunes

RlkSedX_d.jpg?maxwidth=2560&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

May have to lower it and change suspension set up to truly enjoy that power level in the twisties :hide:

Meh! That setup is near perfection. My car can hold it's own at stock height in the twisties and it's nowhere near this build spec. Couple of my friends are shocked how little it rolls over in a turn and how much corner speed it will hold without squealing tires.

About the only thing WRX and I have in common is the swaybar kit.

Have to admit I've been really happy after putting them on.

As long as there are no bumps and stuff in a turn though. I have the bts kit on one car and the bilstein hd with pinks on the other (aftermarket swaybars on both ,etc..). Definitely more confident pushing the latter and that is just stage 2. And still a bit too much squat when I push the former in the first two gears. Having said that, I still like the bts kit though especially for long trips. And also admit that the tires I have on the bts car are somewhat off-road type (geolandar at/s), plus added 1.25" or so lift kit. so not a real fair comparison.

I didn’t see it on the first page mod list, what clutch are you using?

I have a factory clutch (‘11 sti swap) and I’m really hoping that it holds the power from my avo 380/e85 setup. I’m guessing that my e85 numbers should be close to your 91oct numbers.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

After quite some time I drove my OBXT today. It was a short drive to get the DEQ (smog) testing taken care of so that I can reregister it for another two years. Most likely it will move over in my garage when I sell my WRX so that I can make room for my Tesla.

I sold my 2015 Model S 85D and purchased a 2019 Model S Performance with Ludicrous Mode (this option was free when I ordered it because I owned the 2015, and it is now included with all Model S Performance’s). I’ve had the new Model S for 3 weeks and I have 2,000 miles on it and I still haven’t fully got on it.

All I can say is that after driving an all electric car, the OBXT feels lethargic.

Edited by WRX USA

That's the one that does 10s in the quarter, right? Dual motor?

I was at a friends house this weekend and he was showing off his new Model X. He traded in his Model S. He was always the guy with the cool cars, usually something like a new M5 on one side of the garage and a MB SUV on the other. Now he's all electric and says he can't drive anything else. The X is his SUV and his cool car all in one.

After quite some time I drove my OBXT today. It was a short drive to get the DEQ (smog) testing taken care of so that I can reregister it for another two years. Most likely it will move over in my garage when I sell my WRX so that I can make room for my Tesla.

I sold my 2015 Model S 85D and purchased a 2019 Model S Performance with Ludicrous Mode (this option was free when I ordered it because I owned the 2015, and it is now included with all Model S Performance’s). I’ve had the new Model S for 3 weeks and I have 2,000 miles on it and I still haven’t fully got on it.

All I can say is that after driving an all electric car, the OBXT feels lethargic.

I have driven the 3, X and S, but not the performance model, and it definitely has questioning allocating budget to build my OBXT into a 400WHP car and instead just saving up to go electric. I am more biased than most, as I work in the EV industry too. :D

That's the one that does 10s in the quarter, right? Dual motor?

I was at a friends house this weekend and he was showing off his new Model X. He traded in his Model S. He was always the guy with the cool cars, usually something like a new M5 on one side of the garage and a MB SUV on the other. Now he's all electric and says he can't drive anything else. The X is his SUV and his cool car all in one.

Yes, it is dual motor and does the quarter mile in the mid 10’s and 0-60 in 2.4 seconds. The range is 345 miles.

I agree with your friend, once you have a good electric vehicle like a Tesla it’s hard to go back to a gas/ICE car. A couple of times I’ve been in my OBXT and thought “is that in the car?” looked around in the interior and then thought “maybe the frunk?” and then I remember there isn’t one. 😔

I have Teslas and expensive wine on the same do not try list.

I don't want to have to rescale my expectations and be forever ruined.

this is exactly why i buy my hard A from the middle shelf. Monarch and Potters are too cheap and gross, but i'm fine with the average players in the alcohol arena. no reason to start appreciating bottles that cost over $30.

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

I liken the comparison of the Subaru and Tesla more to comparing a cassette player with a CD player. One of the last of the analog being replaced with one of the first of the digital (DAT being a hybrid). Just like there are purists who swear by vinyl there will be people that never want to switch to electric but eventually everyone will.

As far as the eventually everyone will, I usually ask this:

How do people who have to street park, charge their car? (How do street parkers charge their car?)

Simple, do you drive your car out of its street parking or is it broken and stuck there? If you do, you can charge where you work/eat/shop. If that’s not a solution maybe a mobile high speed charging company could fill the gap, like the gas delivery companies (https://filld.com/).

Edited by WRX USA