LegacyGT.com

Leather seat maintenance

Just wanted to reach out quick to see if anyone has any tips for softening the leather seats in my 2015 Legacy. They’re starting to feel kind of brittle (especially on the perforated part) and I would like to see if there are any tips/tricks/products that anyone has seen good results from.

Thanks everyone!

I have been using this stuff for years....got it originally from a friend who has an equestrian center and used it on all the saddles and related riding tack....works great. I use it on all and any leather stuff around home and in cars with leather upholstery.

https://www.peaveymart.com/Horsemans-One-Step-425gm-P11880.aspx

I use Armor All leather care gel on my seats probably about 4 times a year. The seats are oddly slippery for the next couple of days, but I haven't really noticed any signs of wear on my seats so maybe it's helping. It's my first car with leather seats so I'm no expert, but I figured I should be using something like that. :lol:

I use Lexol products, and they have been excellent. Make sure they are really clean, then use the conditioner and they are soft and supple. I do it about every 3-4 months but I'm not to hard on seats so its all a matter of use.

I use leather wipes which you can buy from any store in the auto section. Like previously stated I set a schedule and condition at least every 4 month not counting some wear which will eventually happen to leather. The leather seats become a little slippery for couple day but then it goes away.

My guess is that you can't soften the leather because it's probably not real leather. It has a certain fell to it you can only clean it or condition it.

I went to a car show and sat in a 2019 model and I could feel that the so called leather is different compared to my 2012 leather.

Just wanted to reach out quick to see if anyone has any tips for softening the leather seats in my 2015 Legacy. They’re starting to feel kind of brittle (especially on the perforated part) and I would like to see if there are any tips/tricks/products that anyone has seen good results from.

Thanks everyone!

Hopefully your seats aren't as bad as in this video which I happened to be looking at a few days ago :)

But putting that aside, as well as the worthy recommendations you will get from helpful forum members here, if you Google "Car Leather Seat Cleaning" you will see a multitude of videos on the subject.

Hopefully your seats aren't as bad as in this video which I happened to be looking at a few days ago :)

But putting that aside, as well as the worthy recommendations you will get from helpful forum members here, if you Google "Car Leather Seat Cleaning" you will see a multitude of videos on the subject.

Mine is worse than that because the lower side piece isn't leather its cheap fake pleather and I tried protecting it as much as possible but driver side just cracked and split.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mine is worse than that because the lower side piece isn't leather its cheap fake pleather and I tried protecting it as much as possible but driver side just cracked and split.

Really ?? Are we talking about the car that gets all the trophies :confused:

My dealer recently replaced the passenger side seat bottom (seat frame issue) and with it, they put new leather on as well. This seat’s “leather” is noticeably softer than the other seats in my car. This is what sparked my curiosity at first. I’m fairly certain that my car’s seats have just neglected by the previous owner and now I’m gonna have to deal with it if none of the solutions previously mentioned work! Just me being the nit-picky person I am LOL

If it really bothers you, you can look at Katskin and replace the seat covers.
I tried Katzkins and they wouldn't do my seats because they said they don't have a pattern for Leather Seats... They claim Subaru Cloth seats and Leather seats come from different manufacturers..

I tried Katzkins and they wouldn't do my seats because they said they don't have a pattern for Leather Seats... They claim Subaru Cloth seats and Leather seats come from different manufacturers..

Interesting. That must not be the case anymore as I saw Katskin leather in a 2019 Forester Sport, on the dealer showroom floor.

Interesting. That must not be the case anymore as I saw Katskin leather in a 2019 Forester Sport, on the dealer showroom floor.
They could of made it from the Cloth pattern and charged leather upgrade. March is when they told me they couldnt do leather on leather..