LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V3

Yeah. My thoughts as well. Just dropped in to hand off the instructions for the KCA414 kit. Forgot to put that in the parts bag.

He already had the LCA on and looked like the rear brakes started.

Hope he's done soon so I can test drive and get to the pool. Bloody hot in the valley.

Nail in rear tire. Was able to patch but they said I should look into new tires anyways. Some weathering/cracks are there. So now I'll look for new one for it right after getting some for the 5thgen. FML

Born there and have never been back. Thanks for the reminder jab. Need to go back.

I've been looking for like 5 months now :spin:, and it's hard to find what I want... What's really hard for me is that Oahu is 'crowded' now. I'd love to have a yard, a real garage, plant stuff and things like that. But looks like Oahu is the wrong island to do that. May be able to achieve that on the Big Island or Maui maybe... Still $$$ though :(.

Every time I visit, after a few days I start looking at real estate.

I'd love more Outback friends here on Oahu haha! But yeah, most likely Big Island to get the yard and garage. I mean you could live out in Kapolei or the Westside, but if you work in town the traffic during the commute is horrible. Could have a crew of Outbacks run at SCCAHawaii rallyx at Kualoa ranch!

459f4f2ce15fd034f19d3493c4e263ca.jpg

Forgot to post, but anyone else have their tranny crossmember bushings fail? Found a couple of them split in half and have become gummy and soft. I believe these were TiC bushings. The other half is still on the car and the other set of these busing are visibly split in the mount.

I think I’m also in the club of a driveshaft replacement. Lots of forward and back play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still have wheel vibration at 70 to 80 mph range. Frustrating.

Turns out the rear hard line to the distribution block was seized as well.

Mechanic is referring to this job as an albatross around his neck. :p

Another hard line assembly ordered. Mechanic is not aware this assembly covers both rear calipers... Free finish job offer just turned into a little more work, well see what they say.

Parts ordered.

While the rear wheels are off I'm going to ask for just a tire rotation and see how it reacts. They balanced them while doing the suspension update.

Not all that happy. It looks like the LCA gave me a little drop in the front ride height, so there is more rake on the car than usual. Strange.

There is not much left to replace...

Hubs, End links, steering rack.

This is the second shop to balance the wheels.

I'll be updating the old LCA with new bushings soon.

The MevoTech LCA were a stop gap experiment.

Other than this issue the car is running fine. Due for another OC soon.

Have you replaced any axles recently? Ive got a vibration on the outback 65+ and everything is new except for the axles which I recently replaced with non-OEM but what should have been good quality. Its gotta be the issue as its the only thing I have left.

Not recently. Left front was replaced (OEM) looking for another issue a log time ago. Was not the issue and regret giving up my original axle in the process.

i gave up an OEM axle once too, and regret that decision every day...

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

On this topic, I still have one of my OEM axles but the outer end was clicking. How would you go about rebuilding it?

can get a rebuild kit from Subaru. then you just take it apart, clean, replace parts and done. the only real trick is putting back on the "zip tie" thing that holds the boot on, but if you think about it it's pretty easy to put on with a screw driver and some patience.

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

They sell a rebuilt kit for the outboard cv joint unit? I've only seen rebuild kit for the boot and grease, which I have used several times.

I have already taken that one apart a while ago, and believe the whole outboard cv joint piece needs to be changed.

Edit: if this is the correct part number, then I am doomed :(. 28391AG00A

Edited by xt2005bonbon

They sell a rebuilt kit for the outboard cv joint unit? I've only seen rebuild kit for the boot and grease, which I have used several times.

I have already taken that one apart a while ago, and believe the whole outboard cv joint piece needs to be changed.

Edit: if this is the correct part number, then I am doomed :(. 28391AG00A

Here is a uk site that lists part numbers for inner and outer cv joints. They aren't oem but at least it's something. The part numbers seemed to be easily found in the us as well.

https://m.euspares.co.uk/parts-catalog/joint-set-10171/subaru/legacy/legacy-iv-estate-bl-bp-b13/34668-2-0-turbo-awd

I had this same issue. I added the Perrin steering lockdown kit to the sterring ujoint damper. You can grab the link and wiggle the steering wheel, I could feel the damper knocking

There is not much left to replace...

Hubs, End links, steering rack.

This is the second shop to balance the wheels.

I'll be updating the old LCA with new bushings soon.

The MevoTech LCA were a stop gap experiment.

Other than this issue the car is running fine. Due for another OC soon.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Hmmmmmmmm. Worth a shot. Looking now. Being that there's 224K on all these original parts this makes sense. The hubs arn't making noise, so I'm skeptical these are the cause.

Thanks for the reminder this part existed.

Edit: Ordered. Will report back if this works. Was mentioning concern to Rhitter about how the steering rack was going to react once I placed the GT speck brakes on the OB. Guess this is the price to pay for modding the car more. Driving down the cause and effect rabbit hole.

Edited by kzr750r1

Hmmmmmmmm. Worth a shot. Looking now. Being that there's 224K on all these original parts this makes sense. The hubs arn't making noise, so I'm skeptical these are the cause.

Thanks for the reminder this part existed.

Edit: Ordered. Will report back if this works. Was mentioning concern to Rhitter about how the steering rack was going to react once I placed the GT speck brakes on the OB. Guess this is the price to pay for modding the car more. Driving down the cause and effect rabbit hole.

I have wrx 4/2 pots on the outback with stainless lines, aggressive pads and a master cylinder brace and the steering doesn't do anything funny when braking.

It's not while braking. It's while driving that I get the shakes. But it's not consistent as to the severity or when happening other than speed, hence giving this dampener lock down a shot. All the parts I haven't replaced are always going to be suspect at this mileage. May push me to a STI rack and pinion but trying to avoid that for the time being.

89043d89a6e278142cbf02a18f30dc55.jpg

After discovering that my TiC trans member bushing had failed a couple weeks ago, I went under this morning and replaced the failed bushings with Whiteline versions KDT901. TiCs were installed back in December 2015. Feels tight again and the knocking that I suspected might be the driveshaft U joint failing went away. Happy! It’s so hot and humid today, time to get in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk