LegacyGT.com

Lightweight wheels:research thread

Hey guys and gals...I would like to start a lightweight wheels research thread. I am in the beginning stages of looking for a set of 18" lightweight wheels for my '05 GT Wagon. I currently have a set of very heavy 19" Axis Matrix wheels and they are severly affecting handling, gas mileage and ride comfort. I also can't lower the wagon with the 19" wheels cuz they already rub when the suspension bottoms out or with spirited turns. So if there are any current threads on the subject please pose a link cuz I couldn't find any or we can start one right here with the topic heading I chose. Please try and post as much information as possible about your suggestions including Brand/Model and offset of the wheels and maybe even the info on the tires you're using with said wheels. Thanks in advance.

Rob

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Moderators

I have a set of OZ Alleggeritas currently, although I'm selling them this weekend. 18x8s and they weigh ~17lbs. Crazy light.

Enkei RPF1s, TSW Nurburgrings, and TSW Interlagos are all on my list as well and pretty light.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

i have some light wheels, not sure on exact weight but they are under 20lbs and with tires weigh 38lbs. they are for sale, not the lightest out there but still lighter and stronger than most wheels or comparable price.

Make: Bronze Black Racing Pro N1 (Discontinued years ago and made by 5Zigen)

17x7.5 et48

Hey isn't there a wheel and tire forum here somewhere...?

Hey, look what I found

http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/wheels-tires-43.html?s=&daysprune=&f=43

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

SSR Comps-18x8=16.2# each and they are semi solid forged. I have a set but I'm not selling them. I also have a set of Rota SubZero's in 17x7.5 that are 16# each.

Here's a set of SSR GT-7's 18x8 with 225/40-18 Dunlop Star Specs for sale-post #840. I've seen them and they are in good shape.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2411413&page=34

Volk CE28 are super light, and are also SUPER expensive. 18x7.5 clocks in at around 14-15 lbs only. They are forged. Mine were wrapped in 225/40 rubber. Nailed a pothole doing about 30-40MPH in NYC and dented them so be warned if you drive into NYC. Denting an $800 MSRP rim is not fun... denting 2 is a complete nightmare.

They are strong wheels though but any wheel can get dented. Good wheel repair shops can fix them up easily however.

They feel so light it's very strange picking one up. Held some 16" ones and were around 10-11 lbs if I remember correctly.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

Yeah, very strange feeling picking up my rim (no rubber on it) with 1 finger. Unbelievably light.

I know they're strong rims, but the lesson here is... lightweight and expensive rims coupled with low profile tires shouldn't be driven in places with bad roads. :) They're lightweight for a reason: good for track use.

They're strong and forged, and because of that, they won't crack, which is safer and good and especially important on a track. But repairing it isn't worth it for me. One place I brought it to stated they were "out of round" and they wouldn't/couldn't fix them. I ended up calling a place in another state, and they said they could repair them for about $350 for EACH of them, shipping not included. For that price, I could buy 2 or 3 cheaper rims easily that might weigh more.

So currently in my garage I have 4 18x7.5 Volk CE28. Two are in good condition with 80% rubber left. Two are dented, no rubber, out of round, need repair. (One is only very slightly dented, the other is definitely more dented.) If anyone wants these, I will be posting a FS thread shortly and will let them go for super super SUPER cheap since 2 are bad. Anyway, sorry to threadjack.

Yeah, very strange feeling picking up my rim (no rubber on it) with 1 finger. Unbelievably light.

I know they're strong rims, but the lesson here is... lightweight and expensive rims coupled with low profile tires shouldn't be driven in places with bad roads. :) They're lightweight for a reason: good for track use.

They're strong and forged, and because of that, they won't crack, which is safer and good and especially important on a track. But repairing it isn't worth it for me. One place I brought it to stated they were "out of round" and they wouldn't/couldn't fix them. I ended up calling a place in another state, and they said they could repair them for about $350 for EACH of them, shipping not included. For that price, I could buy 2 or 3 cheaper rims easily that might weigh more.

So currently in my garage I have 4 18x7.5 Volk CE28. Two are in good condition with 80% rubber left. Two are dented, no rubber, out of round, need repair. (One is only very slightly dented, the other is definitely more dented.) If anyone wants these, I will be posting a FS thread shortly and will let them go for super super SUPER cheap since 2 are bad. Anyway, sorry to threadjack.

Hey, try The Wheel Shop in Windsor Locks CT 860 623 8442 ask for Rob Clark, I have one of the OEM Spec B wheels there now that has a slight bend, $60 was the charge.

Hey, try The Wheel Shop in Windsor Locks CT 860 623 8442 ask for Rob Clark, I have one of the OEM Spec B wheels there now that has a slight bend, $60 was the charge.
Thanks, but I'm done with these. Going to sell them for super, super cheap just to get rid of them. I need some room in the garage, and I already got replacement rims and tires. I went back to 17" for some more rubber.

I had a bent wheel fixed in west Springfield ma. Did a good job and no more vibrations now!

How heavy are the stock 08 LGT wheels?

Not to keep thread jacking, my sister found a place there to that was cheap to have a wheel straightened.

I know we are late coming in here but since our cars are not exactly light and not many folks I've seen on these boards actually races or time trials their legacies or even tracks them for that matter, I would suggest going for a wheel that looks good and is strong. The weight factor in handling is seriously overshadowed by the overall weight of the car and the driver abilities...

Just our thoughts on it.

-Rey

AZP's First Private Track Event, June 19 at NJMP Thunderbolt $315 including Classroom and Mentor!

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

My last wheels were cheap and forged. Alt Sek Tor forged rims 18x8, Import Image had a great deal on them a bit ago, 18lbs I believe for them. Not being sold anymore besides on the used market, but a heck of a deal

I had a set of Volk RE30's, loved them but wanted something wider and shinier than the Titanium Gunmetal powder coat finish. I bent one going around a round about and that was not a cheap replacement... They were ~$1k a piece...

+1 I had them repair a set of FD Rx-7 wheels for me a while back and they did a great job.

Archived