LegacyGT.com

KZR750R1 2006 OBXT Head Gasket/Motor Refresh

Love having the magnet on the plug as well during the oil change. Pull it. Clean it. Stick it to the pan till ready for install.

I've owned my car for 2.5 years now and had a magnetic drain plug and never even thought to do this! I didn't even do it on my old impreza with a magnetic plug! :spin:

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welp time to go to my secret spot and pull some logs. Time to get this Stage 1.5 tune out of the way.

Sounds like fun.... break in I'm guessing? Glad to see it back up and running after all the effort you have put into it. I'm sure it's a nice feeling.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

• 2 weeks later...
Sent three logs over to Mike. Took a while, been busy. Dropping the last of the chevron out and going to start running T6 again. Have six new N3R1 Tokyo Roki filters in stock so I'll be good there for a while. Curious if I can feel a difference in oil. I could tell a difference between old and new synthetic so well see. Over 5K on this motor now.

• 1 month later...

Finishing up this OCI soon. Will be the first long haul on T6.

Had a couple of strange cel pop up.

And...

Steering pump has issues during warm up, yet works fine after??? Squeals with any turn of the wheel... Belt has decent tension on it. Could too much tension cause an issue? Pump hosed? Oring was changed. Have spare as well. May try to see if I pinched the current. Could do another fluid swap?

First CEL was EGT related. Hard driving involved in both incidents. Not aware of any other EGT sensors other than the up pipe unit that could have triggered it.

Am I wrong? My test sensor may not be a good long term solution.

Secondly a few about the TGV being stuck. Let warm up in limp mode for a min.. Shut down. Reset. Hasn't come back.

It's not even cold yet.

Wonder what joy's I'm going to see through this winter.

• 3 weeks later...

Figured out the steering pump BS. The belt was a little loose...

Dropped Oil on Sunday and no metal flake at all! :)

Had a P2009 come up and not return after clearing. :/

Stumble and die event this morning taking the girl to school. May pop the IC off this weekend and poke around looking for any leakage. Seems to be loosing some coolant and I'm getting some fumeage at startup/bumper to bumper traffic in the cabin. Smells like oil vapor. Not sure where that could be coming from. Want to check the PCV is working and a few of the hose clamps.

The P2009 and a while back the P2006 could be the TCV motors may be getting tired. Probably should have gone TGV delete but didn't.

Over all still working. Need to send the last logs to Mike for evaluation. May be done with stage 1.5. Need to save up for a new DP and decide if I'm going to keep this perrin IC.

Edited by kzr750r1

• 1 month later...

Still haven't had the time or space to look at the intake. Getting a puff of oil smoke from the tail pipe on startup every once in a while. This happened stock a few times as well... But not this often. :/

Performed another OC after 4500. Motor sounds happy with new oil.

No CEL popping up lately. However, occasionally as now from this trip back from the foothills Sunday, DAM has dropped to .875.

I'll check again for leaks. What else should I monitor to track down why? GAS is from Costco always, so it's fresh, they go through fuel quickely.

Edited by kzr750r1

• 1 year later...

So a small update...

Found a couple of issues just before winter.

Intake manifold passenger side had come a little loose. Fixing this and the below coolant leak has reduced the smoking on startup...

Identified the coolant crossover had a loose bolt. Come to find out it needed a little longer bolt to get the threads to take. Next time I clear the intake manifold off will have some helicoils ready to install to be sure that crossover is locked down.

While the intake was off went through all the fuel line clamps and coolant hoses to be sure they are locked down.

Lately there is heavy fuel vapor in the cabin during startup until the car is warm. One suggestion that I haven't investigated is the evaporation system. I did have one smoking startup event a few weeks back. Hope this is it. I'm about ready to pop the intake off again to fix that crossover coolant manifold.

So the DAM has been stable since fixing the intake manifold leak. I seem to be creeping up on whatever this issue is with the startup smoke BS. Parked it for the last two weeks.

Luckily my dad needed to cull his herd and thought of me cause I've been talking about missing a truck. Always like buying one owner used cars, especially if they are used by someone you know. So now I have a spare ride to get me around. 98 toyota SR5 4x4 with the 4banger is a drastically different driving experience. Almost 300K on that unit and 70K on it's rebuilt motor.

Lastly getting ready to have a base tune and go stage 2 with new TMIC, DP and other related supporting bits. But pass smog first should be no issue.

Oh no... Don't get me wrong. I'm enjoying it. Honestly that was the first time in 30K I had to put a wrench on it, just about to hit 200K.

I honestly don't mind working on it.

This has been the best car I have ever owned. One of my good friends thinks I'm nuts with all the work that goes into keeping it on the road.

Still don't mind. Love the ride.

Weird part was I poked around the evap connections I've touched under the hood. Fuel lines bal bla bla. Didn't notice the fuel vapor this time. Could be one of those things that happens during colder ambient temps. Well see...

Oh no... Don't get me wrong. I'm enjoying it. Honestly that was the first time in 30K I had to put a wrench on it, just about to hit 200K.

I honestly don't mind working on it.

This has been the best car I have ever owned. One of my good friends thinks I'm nuts with all the work that goes into keeping it on the road.

Still don't mind. Love the ride.

Weird part was I poked around the evap connections I've touched under the hood. Fuel lines bal bla bla. Didn't notice the fuel vapor this time. Could be one of those things that happens during colder ambient temps. Well see...

I get the typical fuel smells on cold mornings, its usually one of the fuel lines under the intake manifolds. Those damn clamps don't like to stay tight.

My wife's balls are delicious.

That's just it. I hit all of those when the intake came off. Mainly took the intake off after finding it loose to do a good check on all the hose clamps and nut and bolt check what I can reach. The one loop that drives me nuts is the TB. Since I'm using the Free Range hose kit that one line he made was just not quite right. I may go back and replace these two with stock hoses. Also bought one of his last kits so I have some spares for the others. Matter of fact these just made the list to swap when I go in to nail that cross over manifold down.

Still debating if a AOS is a wise idea. IAG looks like a nice unit but not sure there is going t be room when the GS TMIC goes in.

One of the interesting items I read when looking at the evap system in the manual. They mention replacing the retention clips on the fuel lines after removal. Makes me wonder if the oring's on these are even stable long term.

I'm due for an oil change. So off to get another filter and get that done. Will see if this persists.

Edited by kzr750r1

• 2 weeks later...

Found the issue it seems with the fuel leak. Send and return lines were replaced with 5/16 hose and probably improper clamp placement at the union between the passenger and drivers side fuel rails. THis led to cold temps exacerbating a leak that has been going on for some time.

The little bent unit drivers side of the fuel rail was not right either and had started to split. Glad it's getting a stock replacement. I will be trying to use 1/4" hose for the crossover tie. Stock hose is 7.5 mm, 5/16 is around 8.5mm and 1/4" is 6.3mm.

But first the coolant crossover needs to be tacked down solid.

Two of the four mount points had pulled most of the threads out. Will probably be placing helicoils on today if I have time. I have chased the other two with a tap and seem solid. Also cut and ground down a separate tap to make sure I'm getting the threads all the way to the bottom of the dead end holes.

Always something.

IMG_1977.jpg.55070134d5093cf2b508b9e9702ede6c.jpg

IMG_1969.jpg.ab39b8e5c56f4999ad257b9dbc979768.jpg

IMG_1966.jpg.26d5bd193613f593419f94575fddd4b0.jpg

IMG_1965.jpg.5c82c9bb4624263c3ea773a8cdf8dae2.jpg

IMG_1978.jpg.6c9c003566022ec7b2d52a0e812d36f3.jpg

• 1 month later...

Been all back together for a couple weeks now. Running fine. Used the .25" hose.

Now I understand why the fuel rail loop clamps are upside down from the factory.

They install the entire assembly with TGV as one peice. That little loop on the second picture is supposed to anchor that side of the rails. I didn't do that and had a bolt in there pushing it down, probably exacerbating my leaky hose connections. There is no way to get that bolt in with the intake assembled. Live and learn.

I'll probably pull the entire thing again after I get ready to move forward with the stage two parts.

Have an appointment with Snail/M45 to perform a base tune on this setup next week.

Results are in. Need to snag a freeway and in town log for Travis. So far? Really smooth power response. Boost set at 15 and creeps to 16. 225/247 are the current numbers. Now to load up the stage 2 kit and head up again for a revision. Least now I have a solid base. Only other item he mentioned may net more smooth output would be a larger fuel pump than the DW65c.

Sean Smith 06 Outback.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Weekend after next 6/2-3/18 will probably stuff the stage 2 parts on and this tasty bit.

Cobb DP

GS TMIC

Cobb 3port EBCS

Cobb BOV

Madrig Carbon scoop

Another tune session pending. :)

IMG_2119.thumb.jpg.b2a0f02ea7aa0e9d02b9208c4c1c0474.jpg

IMG_2120.thumb.jpg.15e2cd1b903157c8292744ea38a5eb71.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Bleeding the old Dot 3 out of the system notice more to do.

Passenger inner CV boot is torn again. 350 for a new CV, meh. Will see if I can get a boot locally or will have to wait for the stealership to open on Tuesday.

Dropped the scoop on. Nice fit.

Oil Change time. Then see if I can find this boot straps and grease in stock in town. On a Sunday before the holiday.

• 3 years later...