LegacyGT.com

Ok, so what are the best All-Season tires for those of us who drive in snow?

Hey guys, like the title says, what are the best All-Season tires for those of us that have to drive in the snow?

Since the Legacy is AWD, I really don't want to have to go to a set of dedicated snow tires and wheels. Garage space is a premium and having to deal with taking tires in/out of the basement is a PITA.

So are there any really good tires out there to look at?

I used to have a set of Nokian All-Season tires that were actually M&S rated (ie, basically all season tires that were real snow tires as well), but I don't remember if they have them in sizes that fit our cars (I remember back then they had them almost exclusively for SUVs/vans/etc).

Plus I do remember that driving them in warm temps caused much more wear than driving them in the cold.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, like the title says, what are the best All-Season tires for those of us that have to drive in the snow?

Since the Legacy is AWD, I really don't want to have to go to a set of dedicated snow tires and wheels. Garage space is a premium and having to deal with taking tires in/out of the basement is a PITA.

So are there any really good tires out there to look at?

I used to have a set of Nokian All-Season tires that were actually M&S rated (ie, basically all season tires that were real snow tires as well), but I don't remember if they have them in sizes that fit our cars (I remember back then they had them almost exclusively for SUVs/vans/etc).

Plus I do remember that driving them in warm temps caused much more wear than driving them in the cold.

Nokian still makes the WRG3 which is more of an all season snow tire, they likely make size that fits the Legacy. I had a set on my ex's car. They are probably the best all season for snow performance. As with all season they have their trade off's. They weren't the best wearing tire and they probably don't have the best summer performance. (IIRC my Nokians WRG3 were on pace to wear out around 35k miles, I put about 20k miles on them before selling the car.)

Without typing a novel, it really comes down to what sacrifices and "risk" you are comfortable taking. There will be compromises all around.

A good all season with snow rating may not have high mileage life, and poor wet braking.

If you want the tire to be good at everything, just remember, it wont be GREAT at everything. It may actually be fair to poor at some things.

That said, I am probably one of the few people who actually really likes the stock OEM tires that came on my 2013.

But I also have a dedicated set of all season tires, and snow tires.

I have Bridgestone Serenity + tires on both of my Subaru's and they work just fine in the snow. If I had the space and the extra $$ I would have snow tires. The stock EL400 were good in the snow as well. The key to driving in the winter time is to not over drive your car.

Nokian still makes the WRG3 which is more of an all season snow tire, they likely make size that fits the Legacy. I had a set on my ex's car. They are probably the best all season for snow performance. As with all season they have their trade off's. They weren't the best wearing tire and they probably don't have the best summer performance. (IIRC my Nokians WRG3 were on pace to wear out around 35k miles, I put about 20k miles on them before selling the car.)

I am currently running a set of WR G3's on my factory LGT wheels (225/45/18) which will be going back on the car here pretty soon. Purchased 10/2015 with the intent of running them for winter and then replacing with a set of summer wheels/tires in 2016........had some issues and ended up running them all summer AND winter 2016........and then finally replaced with summer wheels/tires earlier this year and ended up racking up roughly 20,000 mi. on them.

That being said...these things look like I could get AT LEAST another 20,000 mi. out of them, if not more. Wear is nice and even, too! Agreed, they don't perform like my G-Force Comp 2's in the summer...but they are every bit as good in the rain.

All told...I will always second a vote for Nokians. Now, as far as price...that's another discussion...

The best ones are not available in the US/Canada markets with no plans from their manufacturers to offer them anytime soon (go figure)...

You can think of them as the next-gen All-Seasons or better yet either winter-bias all season (Goodyear below) or summer-bias all seasons (Michelin below).

Michelin CrossClimate+

Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-2

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2017-Auto-Bild-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/92863/all-season-tyres-test-20162017-top-all-weather-tyres-tested

http://www.evo.co.uk/features/15600/michelin-cross-climate-vs-winter-and-all-season-tyres

I ran Yokohama's from Discount tire last season through some shitty snow and slush we had. Did fine, but I don't drive like the California transplants who think their Audi or Subaru can go 60 on the ice and snow with 20" summer tires, because AWD.

I run Nokian snow tires. They are great snow tires but they are on pricier side of snow tires. I had have 5 set of them. I have nearly worn out 3 sets which I have gotten 30k miles on. One thing I often read is the recommendation for cheaper snow tires. I have seen many recommendation for Blizzaks, but I have seen them wear down to the near the snow marker in in less than 10k miles. Maybe the Bliazzak are on the extreme for wear, but the initial purchase price might be lower, but in the long run my Nokia are most cost effective and in my opinion (and the opinion of many snow tire tests) they are a better snow.

What sort of dry performance level are you looking for from the tires? An UHP all season is probably going to less good in the snow than those trying less to be like a summer tire... I have been running Pirelli P-Zero All season plus tires, and they have done just fine, but we don't get much snow, and I don't push it when the roads are snow/ice covered.

...I used to have a set of Nokian All-Season tires that were actually M&S rated (ie, basically all season tires that were real snow tires as well)….

The M&S designation is meaningless when it comes to snow traction. Instead, look for the " 3 peak mountain snowflake" symbol on the sidewall. (However, the 3PMSF symbol does not ensure good ice traction).

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=125

If you trust Consumer Reports, look at their Nov 2017 issue for tests of all season tires. It includes an acceleration test on snow (but no test of braking on snow or lateral traction on snow)

You might also find this thread useful:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4551680/1/What_all-seasons_have_the_best

I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 215/45 R17 on my LGT and absolutely love them. I've never had a dedicated set of winter tires, so I can't compare to that, but these are the best tires I've had all around. Lots of grip in the summer, and not once have I felt not in control in both wet and snowy conditions. I'm sure there are lots of good options, but I am completely satisfied with the great performance of these. I'm also in Montana, where it's a daily tossup whether it will be dry, snow, or rain about 10 months out of the year...

The GT came with Michelin Primacy MXM4's, so that is going to be my all-season tire :)

I put a set of Douglas All Season's from Walmart on the Outback, and they were fine last winter.

How are those in the wet? Our Odyssey needs tires badly, but very few places have the right size in stock.

The main benefit of snow tires is the ability to perform better in sub 45° temps since the rubber compounds are softer. Essentially better lateral quickness with steering response, stopping, and acceleration. Snow tires make a world of difference especially on icy, hardpacked snow. The "sipes" give the tire technically more surface area to bite/dig to help with everything I just mentioned.

Guess if you're not willing to spend the extra $ then I'd vote the Comp2 a/s otherwise a good set of michelins

Have a look at the latest Continental DWS tires.

That what I have mounted on my Legacy. This winter will be the first with these tires.

I had order Firestone Winterforce (Studdable/Snow) for my wife old Civic that was in Wisconsin for the winter. She told me it kept her safe during the snow days up there. I brought her car down to the Washington D.C. area in 2003 we had about 28.2" in Baltimore and 16.7" in D.C of snow that year. My wife civic was the only car on that road that never got stuck or even slide.

I ran Yokohama Advan Sport, BF Goodrich G-force sport and Michelin Pilot Super Sport on my V8/RWD and they suck for the winter due to the torque and power of the V8.

Edited by amusa