LegacyGT.com

What gauge pod would you like designed for the Legacy

If you were to have a gauge pod designed for our cars what would your requirements be? Obviously we have the A-Pillar option, Cubby, AVO, Zero Sports(though it only works for RHD), and an array of single pods for every location you could think of. I do not want to replicate the A-Pillar....done and over done. I am deciding if designing a gauge pod to mass produce is worth the time and effort. I will be doing one for my car but at the same time I would like to please the community and see if we can come up with something for everyone.

Deciding factors

-Single or Dual

-Materials(Fiberglass, Carbon, Plastic)

Throw out any ideas that you might have and please discuss....thanks.

Scott G

[

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got an idea...hope i can describe it well enough. It would be based on the A-Pillar pods but for the center console next to the radio. Essnetially on the passenger side of the console but have it angled towards the driver and maybe two or three pods. Made out of plastic so it could be sprayed whatever color the owner wanted.

What do you guys think about a replacement piece for the top of the steering column. The other option would be to do a full cap(basically it would attach using 3M tape but would cover the top piece all the way down to where it connects to the bottom piece), with two integrated pods. With this design you would not have to remove the current steering column cover. I would only be doing 52mm though because I would like to make this piece as low profile as possible. I would like to steer clear of the cigarette lighter area, I would never place gauges there myself....only looks good but is not at all functional. The other option I am leaning towards in the Zero Sports single pod idea. Similar to this....

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/3363/zerosports2.jpg

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/1715/zerosports.jpg

Pics courtesy of MGV001 and Zero Sports.

I would cut down on some of the hard lines in order to allow it to blend in further with the dash lines. I would prefer that it is on the center console side since our eyes are much more trained to look that direction. But either side is find with me. The center of the car allows for easier wiring and routing...but I will see what I can do.

Keep the ideas coming. I should have a semi working mock up of the steering column model in the next week or so. What are your thoughts on materials?

Scott G

BTW I am in contact with a company from NY in order to mass produce these if there is interest....of course if it comes to that I will talk to the proper folks about getting set up for GBs....we are far away from that though.

[

I would like to vote against A pillar mounts. Its widely available, its been done and IMO, its been overdone. Dont get me wrong, its convinient and probly the best location, but for some reason, I dont like it. I like the idea of "reversing" Zero Sports design. Looks clean and its right there in your line of sight so no need to look away from the road...
what did u mean when you said. it felt like i was driving a civic? did u mean the car felt like it was more dependable and it was getting better mpg's?

I would love to see a gauge pod like this made for our cars. I think it would look perfect...not ricey or cheap. It could be done in any material, carbon fiber, fiberglass, or plastic...

http://www.hptmotorsports.com/prodimages/wrx_bezelLG.jpg

Yes that would be a great design but here are the issues with that. Notice the depth that the surround offers based on how far back the factory gauges are. This allows both pods enough room to be mounted. If you have a gauge laying around bring it out to your car and hold it in those locations. First notice how many lights you block...not really the biggest deal breaker...but it is a lot. Now look at the surround on the LGT. It is very minimal, most of the area the you would have to work with is 1/4 of an inch thick. It would lead to a very flimsy product. I would have to pull out the factory components to see if that is even detachable. The issue is it is built in to the gauges too much. This piece ^^^^^ is separate from the factory gauges and is installed after the cluster is bolted down. I hope that makes some sense.

Scott G

[

Hmm... I am in the market for one to put my oil pressure gauge in. I like the low profile one as shown in post #7.

I would need to see a mockup on a LHD car on the left of steering wheel. Additionally, I usually mount a 4.3" GPS in lower left hand side mounted to windshield. My intuition tells me there won't be visibility/space issues with this, however.

That seems like you would have to take your eyes too far off the road for me. I would love one like I have in my Talon where 2 gauges mount on the bottom corners of the instrument cluster surround but it does not seem like it would be possible because of the trip odometer button.

Fiberglass is drying right now. Then comes the coat of bondo and plenty of find tuning., keep in mind this is the piece that I will be making the parts based off of. Once the steering pod is complete I will start on the dash pod/pods.
[

A boost gauge seems kind of useless, you really shouldn't be staring at a gauge while under boost. You can keep tabs on it with the laptop and view it after you pull over. Oil pressure and oil temperature are much more useful for the ashtray mount. Forget the pillar mounts or dash mount, to ricey or Rustangish, unless it's a serious track car.

....thanks for the input. A boost gauge that stores peak(most quality gauges) does exactly what you are referring to without lugging around a laptop.....unless you log every time you drive. Based on what you are saying no gauge pod is good? Just trying to clarify. But a pod that is in a spot that can hardly be seen is good? Seems a little confusing.

Just trying to please the crowd and put out a good quality product that the the majority likes. Again thanks for the input.

[

....thanks for the input. A boost gauge that stores peak(most quality gauges) does exactly what you are referring to without lugging around a laptop.....unless you log every time you drive. Based on what you are saying no gauge pod is good? Just trying to clarify. But a pod that is in a spot that can hardly be seen is good? Seems a little confusing.

Just trying to please the crowd and put out a good quality product that the the majority likes. Again thanks for the input.

If the boost gauge stores peak, then it doesn't really need to be in your face. All I was inferring is that a gauge pod is really only useful for the guys on here that take their cars to the track. All others, like myself are best served with something less obtrusive such as the ashtray gauges. What you're doing is great, but unfortunately for a limited audience. Although you might find some interest in gauge pods from non track guys, function won't make a difference, it will be all about how cool it looks. So I'll just shut my pie hole now and hopefully you'll get some useful input from your target audience. Track guys? WannabeRicers? Help this guy out!

Archived