LegacyGT.com

break squeek on new GT?

sde

did anyone ever have bad break squeeking on their new GT? specifically medium pressure breaking from about 30mph+ to a stop there is a loud squeek.

there's only 75 miles on it. the dealer said to bring it back if it persists after 150. maybe it's from sitting around not being driven? got it with 16 miles on it.

My rear passenger brake intermittently squeeks and grinds. I've had this from the first week that I've owned my 2.5i. Since it's intermittent it's been impossible for a dealer to fully diagnose it.

This was first thing I did when I picked up my car at Irvine Subaru. Asked the sales manager if it was okay to leave our Forester there while we went and bedded in the brakes. He looked at me kind of quizzically and said sure.

We spent about 30 - 40 minutes just going through the bedding process and when we got back, he asked me why I did that. I told him that the last thing I wanted to do was to have to slam on or lock up my brakes on the freeway drive home without taking the time to bed the brakes. Told him that NOT bedding in the pads/rotors, was a sure way to prematurely glaze and/or warp the rotor(s). Then I told him to check out the stoptech site for more information.

Consequently, I've not had a bit of squeek or snap, grind nor scrape from my brakes and they never cease to amaze at how well they haul this baby down from speed when necessary. I believe the bedding process went a long way toward how well these brakes operate.

A008, thanks for finding the links. Appreciate your taking the time to do that.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I can understand the science behind this but let's be real. What proportion of new car owners would go through all the trouble of doing all this? Less than .001%? Personally, I don't think the reason for the break squeels, grinding noises, warped rotors are due to not performing the brake in procedure, mainly because too many people, including myself, have had these problems only with the GT, so the maths don't make sense. I've also come to this conclusion after I found out that a team of Japanese from Subaru came down to Australia to find out why so many people have been complaining. They went back hopefully to find a resolution.

I had never, ever taken the time to bed in a set of pads until I read how and why to do it. So this is a new approach for me (relatively speaking - been doing it the past 3-4 years or so)

I have heard several members discussing this and I don't think there is a connection between bedding the brakes and not getting brake squeek. In my case, it works as it should with no noise, just sure, firm stops, across the whole brake engagement process.

I'm sure your math is being generous too, because it's likely that .00001% would do this on regular basis, given the number of cars on the road today. ;)

SBT

I'm sure your math is being generous too, because it's likely that .00001% would do this on regular basis, given the number of cars on the road today. ;)

SBT

That's right. Just imagine if everyone had to do it!!! It was would be madness on the roads, and more deaths and injuries. Let this be the end of the silly notion that one needs to bed in the brakes the way it's described on various web sites. Sure, one should take it easy for a while with new pads/rotors but that's expected.

That's right. Just imagine if everyone had to do it!!! It was would be madness on the roads, and more deaths and injuries. Let this be the end of the silly notion that one needs to bed in the brakes the way it's described on various web sites. Sure, one should take it easy for a while with new pads/rotors but that's expected.

You're right it would be madness wouldn't it if we all HAD to do it. Then it would be a matter for the "factories" to do this before delivery and that would mean miles and wear and tear on the car, etc.

But I'm sure I won't stop bedding in the new brakesand encouraging enthusiasts to do it too. Will teach my daughters so they know what to expect from new brakes and how to treat them. Just one additional step in the process that gives me peace of mind. Given the regularity of high speed stops that we have to do here in SoCal, I just want to ensure that the brakes mate to the rotor properly every time.

WRT the OT - has Subaru responded to anyone's brake squeal issues?

SBT

Theres a few different things going on here.

Generally, brake squeak is a high frequency vibration someplace in the caliper. Normally under moderate brakeing to put some load on it but not clamp down hard. To fix this there is either rust or something that needs to be cleaned out or you need to put on some anti-squeal. I use the red stuff in a bottle about 4" high near the brake fluid at the autoparts store. Granted, if you car is new, I'd hit the dealer for the work and mess.

Bedding in brakes is another matter entirely. It does three things:

1. Puts pad deposits on the rotors evenly to promote max friction.

2. Thermally stress relieves the rotors to prevent cracking under high temps

3. Conditions the pads to take high temp cycling.

The idea is to gradually put heat in them to avoid shocking the parts. Then keep them hot for a bit, then let them cool without stopping the rotors.

If you ever track your car you will want to do this for all three reasons. If you will never track you car, then it doesn't matter.

But if you get "warped rotors" it's most likely uneven pad deposits and you'll need to go through the bedding process to scrub them off and make the deposits more even.

I just took out my brake pads and rubbed them against the concrete pavement and reinstalled them, and they are fine. My sqeaked around 500 miles, it was fine for the first 499 miles or so.. (I guess it doesnt help that hit the brakes about 90+mph down to 20 mph and not allowed to heel-toe above 4k rpm blips :p ).

Keefe

Keefe

Archived