LegacyGT.com

Electrical help, V1 isntallation

sde

I am about to install the V1, but I don't know what wire to tap into. It will need to tap in under the driver's side. I need to find a wire that turns off when the car is off.

I have a multimeter but I don't know how to use it for this. Can anyone tell me what setting to put the multimeter on to test a wire? OR , what wire I should tap into?

signed,

n00b

Step back.

Get an add-a-circuit fuseholder (you will need the mini size, any auto parts store should have them) and look at the fuse descriptions on the fuse box door and pick one that is on only when the car is running.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=071-580

i appreciate the links and suggestions, but i already have the wire clamp to tap into a wire, and i already have a multimeter.

all i need to do is test a wire to see if it is hot when the car is on, and not when the car is off. can't i do this with a multimeter?

Use the DC (direct current as opposed to AC Alternating current which is what your wall socket puts out) function. Place one probe on the hot wire and the other on a good ground. ( car frame, bolt). Making sure you get a good connection. Not having a proper ground is the most common cause for electrical problems. Make sure the metal ground you touch is not painted or varnished in any way. I reccomend using a fuse tap rather than a wire splice. Radio Shack PN:270-1204

take a look at this thread for ideas:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7564&highlight=v-1

might be out of the way for you to get access to - but the power wire going to the cigerette lighters lose power when the car is off. (i couldnt find any that turned off with the car in the fuse box or on the drivers side) I had to tap into it when i installed my XM radio.

Archived