LegacyGT.com

LGT Suspension Swap - What is needed

Hello, I'm new to modifying cars and I'm picking up my OBXT this week after the dealership replaced the radiator they broke during inspection. The first thing I want to do is lower it by swapping to an LGT suspension. I have found several threads around the web explaining how and showing the difference. However I have not found anywhere saying exactly what you need to do it. Do I need just the springs and dampers from the LGT or will I need LCAs and bushings and the likes. Also I know you need to swap the sway bar in the rear, what would be recommended for that?

Thanks for any advice.

Needed

Legacy shocks and springs (or coilovers)

Legacy rear bumpstops

Really nice (recommended / basically needed)

Legacy rear upper control arm

This thread for the how-to

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/lgt-wagon-suspension-swapped-into-outback-xt-140548.html?t=140548&highlight=Duffman

You don't need to swap the swaybar. The Outback sway bay is just a small bar. If you want more a bigger swaybar, any for a Legacy 05-09 Legacy will work

Needed

Legacy shocks and springs (or coilovers)

Legacy rear bumpstops

Really nice (recommended / basically needed)

Legacy rear upper control arm

This thread for the how-to

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/lgt-wagon-suspension-swapped-into-outback-xt-140548.html?t=140548&highlight=Duffman

You don't need to swap the swaybar. The Outback sway bay is just a small bar. If you want more a bigger swaybar, any for a Legacy 05-09 Legacy will work

Just curious, why is the UCA recommended but not actually required?

I found someone pretty local in the "whole vehicle part out" that was parting out an LGT. Made it pretty easy. Just be sure to confirm that the shocks aren't already knackered. You don't want to put on blown shocks! I picked up front and rear shocks/struts and the rear upper control arms for a little over $200 which seems to be the going rate. I have yet to trim or replace the bump stops but I think I will do that soon.

I found someone pretty local in the "whole vehicle part out" that was parting out an LGT. Made it pretty easy. Just be sure to confirm that the shocks aren't already knackered. You don't want to put on blown shocks! I picked up front and rear shocks/struts and the rear upper control arms for a little over $200 which seems to be the going rate. I have yet to trim or replace the bump stops but I think I will do that soon.

Did you do the UCAs or just the shocks and struts? Also I'll eventually probably get some BC Racing coilovers for it so it's not that big of a deal if they're well used.

Just curious, why is the UCA recommended but not actually required?

The bumpstops are attached to the frame and make contact with the UCA to restrict travel of the rear suspension. By changing out the UCA to a Legacy one younger more travel and probably will never ride the bumpstops unless the car is really loaded.

If you drive around with the hatch mostly empty and a rear strut spacer you probably will be okay with just the Legacy bumpstops.

I was for a few years, then I went lower and loaded the car up with people and dogs and hit them often. Changed my springs to King KSRS 29 and Legacy UCAS and now never hit them.

But it's not needed, just makes it better :)

Oh and in case it isn't clear. The rear upper control arm is UCA.

I would even go as far as to say that the UCA with the camber adjustment bushings (WL) in place is probably a better bang for buck than just the legacy bumpstops because you not only get the extra clearance with the bumpstops, but also adjustment with the camber thats always needed when you lower an OB.

Did you do the UCAs or just the shocks and struts? Also I'll eventually probably get some BC Racing coilovers for it so it's not that big of a deal if they're well used.

Yep. I replaced the UCA's. I had the Whiteline camber bushing to install but ran out of time. My ultimate goal is to do the Koni cut-a-strut conversion (some good threads on it over on NASIOC) so I'll be going back in there eventually.

I also investigated for a while going with FEAL coilovers. I had some communication with them and they said that they could do an OB-specific version of their "max-travel" setup. http://fealsuspensionstore.com/product-category/coilovers/ Again, more info on them over on NASIOC.

Or for $100-150 more get the megan adjustable arms instead of legacy upper control arms. I wish I had done that instead of just getting the upper arms and whiteline camber bushing.

If I get the Megan arms would I still need the WL bushings? On their site it says it adjusts for the toe angle. Just thinking about where the adjustment is and where the ucas bolt up in my mind it would adjust camber.

I have yet to trim or replace the bump stops but I think I will do that soon.

I recommend trimming that only as a temporary solution. I trimmed mine and when I hit them, it hits hard. They are softer at the tips than half way up.

I couldn't find any used ones for sale and sure as hell wasn't going to spend $100 a pop for rubber on a screw.

They would be easy to snag from a scrap yard too. Just bring PB blaster and big pliers.

Don't trim the bumpstops, theyre shaped that way to gradually limit spring compression. If you trim it, you'll have a sudden stop when your suspension compresses, causing terminal oversteer (i.e. tank slapper effect).

I recommend trimming that only as a temporary solution. I trimmed mine and when I hit them, it hits hard. They are softer at the tips than half way up.

I couldn't find any used ones for sale and sure as hell wasn't going to spend $100 a pop for rubber on a screw.

They would be easy to snag from a scrap yard too. Just bring PB blaster and big pliers.

I found them online for $36 a piece.

Thanks guys for the comments. Yeah I wasn't too keen on trimming them also as I'd like to keep the stock stuff around just in case. My local yard claims to not have them (but I haven't gone to look) and I was a bit surprised at the price for new ones. Especially when there are probably literally millions of them moldering away in scrap yards! :) Again, I'll revisit them next Spring when I plan on doing the koni inserts.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all, first post!

I'm trying to find out once and for all the correct part numbers/ what to order EXACTLY from Subaru parts for the LGT suspension swap for my '09 OB XT wagon.

I've got the struts from KYB and now it's the springs I need. As I've heard, stock legacy GT springs is the way to go vs the lower"sport springs" available. And also the rear bump stood...the part number I always see given shows it's for the FRONT in Subaru's parts website. Is it the same thing?!

There's been many great write ups on the actual swap and the like, but not really so much as in "Here's what you need to order from Subaru for the LGT to OB XT swap"!

So does anybody know the specific part numbers for the GT wagon springs? Looking them up, I'll see different part numbers and whatnot and then nothing for

09'GT wagons or something l. I don't want to waste time and order the wrong stuff and have the guy at the shop say they won't fit while it's all torn apart!

I'd really like to get it right the first time... 😂

Thanks in advance to any help, appreciate it.

20501AE00A - rear bumpstops. There are no front bumpstops, they are internal to the shock, no idea what you are looking at.

You need Legacy GT rear wagon springs and Legacy GT front springs. Doesn't matter the year as long as it's from 2005-2009.

No one says "here is what you need to order from Subaru" because most buy used.

You can search this website for the part numbers you need: http://opposedforces.com/parts/

If you can't find them, just call Parts at the Subaru dealer you are ordering from and say you are replacing the Suspension on an 05-09 wagon and need springs.

If you haven't seen it, this has the How-To and some part numbers

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/lgt-wagon-suspension-swapped-into-outback-xt-140548.html?t=140548&highlight=lower+outback

Thanks Rhitter, appreciate the response- I was wondering part numbers because I was on Subaru genuine parts.com and wasn't sure which was actually what I needed...I know, it sounds dumb, but the way it's worded is weird to me, that's why I was wondering exact part numbers. The prices are a lot better than the local dealer, that's why I was trying to figure out on my own.

The parts link doesn't seem like it goes new enough, but I'll check again. I also emailed the parts.com guys earlier to see what they say.

Thanks again, man!

Archived