Orca

2006 triple black 5mt obxt

bought at 119k miles 05/2015, now 150k @ 10/2018

The day I got it.

18678554533_5300853743_z.jpg

August 7, 2017

36270309822_3f3f166776_z.jpg

Engine:

(rebuilt at 120k miles, always... always get a leak down test before buying)

Complete rebuild by AQ Motorsports.

JE forged FSR pistons, stock compression

Used OEM cams (stocks were trashed from low oil. Technically using STI cams, but no difference from LGT/OBXT)

New OEM crank (stock was trashed from low oil)

New STI oil pump

Killer B oil pickup

Group N engine mounts

Gates timing belt, pump, pulleys, tensioner

Valve job, head machining, honing, gaskets, bearings and all that from the bottom to top.

Primitive Skid Plate

TYC 13091 oem-style radiator

Turbo and Breathing

GrimmSpeed intake

"big16G" Stage 2 VF52 rebuild by Socal Porting

AVO TMIC

Invidia 1.5 scroll equal length header (via BarManBean)

Cobb catted down pipe

Pro Tuning Labs mufflers (not using the 3" mid and Y, yet)

Fuel and Tuning:

ID 1050X top feeds

ID top feed to side feed rails and lines

STI FPR

DW 65c fuel pump

SteamSpeed EBCS

TA 91 ACN E-tune 850cc injectors

Suspension:

Koni's, w/ Tein H-Tech (tried LGT springs, not low enough)

AVO adjustable rsb end links

LGT rear upper control arms, with Whiteline KCA399 camber correction outer bushings

LGT "helper" rear bump stops

3/4" saggy spacers in rear

Wheels:

Enkei Imola 18x8 +40

245/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+

Brakes:

Project Mu NS400 pads

Drivetrain:

ACT HDSS

ACT 13lb flywheel

Kartboy short shift

Interior:

Kids car seats (2)

removed rear headrests

stock HU, Jazzy mod with flaky cd player. If I switch to the radio, it won't go back to CD unless I beat on it with my fist, and repeatedly pull the radio fuse. I've used a rubber mallet. It worked.

Exterior:

Morimoto HIDs + halos in blacked out headlight retrofits

Fender roll F/R (still needs moar)

Dings

History:

May 2015 I took home this triple black 2006 OBXT 5MT with 119k miles. She drove real nice, besides needing more low and new shocks.

The car fax showed it was serviced pretty regularly at an independent and a San Diego Subie dealer. However around the 90k-110k mark I don't see any evidence of timing belt. I had the PPI done at the same Subie dealer, and they went over the service records with me. Clean bill of health.

Few days after bringing it home, oil was low. Let's keep an eye on it. Little bit of a stumble 2-3k. Plugs? Dirty Injectors? let's hope it's not.. piston or valves...

Long story short... Few weeks later, I got the compression test that I knew I should have done before buying it.

Cyl #2 = 50%

During the rebuild, the problems kept surfacing:

Cyl #2 50% down was due to a cracked ring landing

All four cams and journals in the heads were scored from oil starvation.

Crank trashed due to oil starvation to the journals

One head had a sketchy head gasket, way under oem-spec, and evidence of water leakage.

pics of the cracked pistons and scored cams here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5216668&postcount=28

/end History

Waiting to be installed:

Perrin front sway bar end links

Perrin steering dampener lockdown

Pro Tuning Labs Exhaust Mid / Y

Legacy front calipers

Cobb Flex Fuel Kit

WTB list

Moore Blast Plates

F/R sway bars + AVO rear bracket

Coil overs

'15 STI steering rack

DAMD flat bottom wheel

JDM Double DIN dash + HU

Subwoofer

[note: I'm migrated my "build" thread from the Outback pictures forum, to the Model Specific Forums > Third Generation Subaru Outback (2004 – 2009) forum. I'll whore out the pics in the Media Galleries > Outback Photos > rebourne's '06 OBXT thread (and other fav threads), but keep the technical details in this thread. Work in progress.]

Edited by rebourne

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I shouted: "Down girl!" at her.

19294680852_a243ba2145_k.jpg

19113029558_10daa8ca4e_k.jpg

Let's see if I can get her to obey.

LGT Springs already installed on Koni's

3/8" 1/4" Saggy butt spacers (going to try without them first)

AVO rear sway bar end links

Perrin Front and Rear sway bar end links.

LGT rear upper arms, w/ Whiteline camber adjusters

LGT helpers (aka bumpstops)

Going to install the AVO rear end links first, versus the Perrin.

Done:

19146757010_9014139b17_k.jpg

No saggy butt spacers.

LF: 27.25

RF: 27.5

LR:27.375

RR:27.75

I put a level on the passenger door trim before and after and the match was almost perfect. Just a bit of rake.

Not sure why the left side is lower than the right. This is not aligned, but with about 20 miles on it. The springs/shock assemblies were off another OBXT, so they should be settled.

With these wheels it looks well balanced. But with 18s, I'll want to come down .75-1".

Edited by rebourne

AQ Engine Rebuild thoughts #1

Up to the first oil change on the rebuild @ 200 miles:

(technically the second, because AQ did the first zero mile oil change after priming and first start up. MY first.)

First thought:

My engine builder, AQ Motorsports, told me to stay out of boost and vary the RPMs during the break in process, which is for 1000 miles, with a dino oil change at 200 miles and 1000 miles. IE: a gentle break in.

I did my normal to and from work commute, 12 miles each way. My commute on the Los Angeles 405 has so many traffic pockets that it varies the RPMs without even really trying. But I accelerated really slowly, patiently, to try to stay out of boost. Since I didn't have a boost gauge, I was just guessing.

I did this for a few days until I installed my Cobb AP V3, loaded with the stock-like tune and used it to monitor boost.

Much to my surprise, I was driving like a total grandma! The EJ255 is capable of far more acceleration without getting into positive boost pressure than I ever thought was possible. The 2.5L is strong off boost, stronger than many normally aspirated cars I've driven. Even in 4th and 5th gears I could get reasonable acceleration without making positive boost.

Of course it has become a game. I watched the AP and learned how much I can apply, without going over 0.00.

Second thought:

Even with the Group-N engine mounts, the motor is sooo smooth. And quiet. I drove just listening to the car for the first week, windows up, no stereo. When traffic was wide open, I'd alternate between 70 in 5th gear and 65 in 4th gear, to vary the rpms. But there was almost no audible or NVH difference between the two! So good... Eventually it will need more loud!!! but not until after break in is done and done.

When I finally turned on the stereo, I accidentally drove in 4th at 65-70 mph without noticing I wasn't in 5th many times. That quiet and smooth.

I hear no piston slap. If I didn't have build sheet, and the discussion with my builder, I'd think this engine had stock pistons and not forged JEs. I hear nothing. It's mid 60s-80s here in LA, so ask me again in February or March. Or on a cold morning at the ski resorts.

/end 200 mile thoughts.

Edited by rebourne

After a couple weeks on the LGT springs and Koni's, I decided that Orca rides too nice. Seriously, it was nicer than my Infinity G37 sedan. Overall handling still needs improvement, so let's start with going lower. But not too low... I'd already been researching springs, and I decided I couldn't go wrong trying Tein H-Techs. If I didn't like them, they'd be easy to re-sell for a small "rental" fee.

Front Teins:

Music: Tower of Power channel on Pandora

Tools: All hand ratchets and wrenches.

Install time: about 6 hours. Before I started on the struts, I did my first oil change on the obxt, so it was a long day with the multiple learning curves.

Front LGT stock spring vs H-Tech:

19842693942_7dca090518_b.jpg

Stock OBXT assembled front strut / spring vs Koni / H-Tech:

19662049378_b2390a0d98_b.jpg

Rear Teins:

Music: High Contrast channel on Pandora

Tools: Bought an 8amp / 350 ft-lb Craftsman electric impact gun before I started. It would have shaved an hour or two off the front install. Knocked the rear lower shock bolt off like it was buttah.

Install time: about 2 hours, with another hour for adjusting the front camber and garage clean up.

Impact gun on a grocery store paper bag for size reference:

19664122680_dc203fe25e_b.jpg

While it gets the hard nuts off, it's literally a wrist breaker.

edit: I returned the impact gun when it couldn't get one of the lower shock bolts off. And I hand torqued that bolt just a week earlier.

Rear LGT stock spring vs H-Tech:

19850093225_2e413d6959_b.jpg

I used a dremel to create a flap over the rear shock tops. I just eye-balled it, and used whatever cutting bit I had. I can easily torque the center shock nut, the top hat bolts, and adjust the Koni firmness with the removable knob. And as a bonus the flaps hold up that piece of trunk liner!

19823885896_26fb90a0ab_b.jpg

19855016731_32158acd74_b.jpg

I got stuck trying to get the top hat off the first strut, and I found plenty of Koni install walkthroughs and tips, but no removal / uninstall tips. After struggling mightily, I googled far and wide, well outside of Subaru land, and found a simple, fairly commonly recommended tip. (Sorry, don't remember the sources.)

Tip #1:

Koni spring removal / uninstall

Front struts and Rear shocks: Loosen the top (17 or 19mm) bolt on the Koni's before loosening a single bolt on the suspension. Additionally for the front struts, don't worry about the 8mm allen bolt at the bottom of the strut body. If the inserts were installed correctly there is Loctite on the 8mm bolt, and it does not come into play in spring removal. Mine didn't budge.

A few more tips:

Tip #2:

Front strut spring removal

Use a spring compressor, but if you did tip #1, you won't have to compress so much that the top hat spins free. Just pull it down a few inches and even with a hand ratchet there should be just a tiny pop when the nut comes off. Wear a mechanic's glove, please.

Controversial Tip #3:

If you have an air or electric impact gun, you don't need to compress rear LGT springs to get the top hat off. Lay the assembly on the floor and make sure the bottom of the strut has a long travel path before it might hit anything (or set up a bowling alley of aluminum cans). Put your big steal toe'd booted foot against the top hat, and wear a thick mechanic glove. It's going to shoot away from you, and you'll feel a bit of a pop against your foot. Now spin that bolt off with power! Don't stop until the top hat sproings off and you shouldn't hurt the threads. The bark of the rear LGT spring popping off the Koni was far worse than the bite. Disclaimer: Make sure you have good health insurance, 6 months of mortgage/rent/expenses in the bank and if you get hurt you're a dumb ass for following "controversial" advice on the internet.

Tip #4:

Temporary front camber adjustment before you get a real alignment

Reading the manual, and guides gets all confusing. Does "more camber" mean negative or positive? Turn the bolt in on the left? Opposite for the right? Don't worry about the words. Use the force, Luke. To get more negative camber (I need more negative because I'm rubbing the outer fender), jack it up, remove the wheels, loosen the two lock nuts on bottom of the strut (make sure the top of the camber adjusting bolt doesn't move). Then put your hand on the top of brake rotor, and as you move the camber bolt you'll feel if you are tipping the top in for more negative camber, or out. It's intuitive once you try it. Get a real alignment asap if you value your tires.

Here it is after bouncing over some speed bumps:

19228868644_549954055f_b.jpg

Front:

19662059090_2838c8a178_b.jpg

Rear:

19663469429_dba7e751b8_b.jpg

Stats:

Koni front inserts

LGT front bumpstops p/n 20321AA201

Koni rear shocks

LGT rear upper control arms

LGT bump stop "helpers" p/n 20501AE00A

Ride height comparison:

LGT springs / Tein H-techs

LF: 27.25 / 26.25

RF: 27.5 / 26.5

LR: 27.375 / 26.375

RR: 27.75 / 26.5

Rubbing in front? yes.

I dialed in what I thought was a good amount of negative camber on the front bolt, but it rubs quite a bit doing circles in a cul-de-sac. Eventually I'll need a fender roll to fit wider, lower offset wheels and tires. In the meantime, I think there's a little bit more negative camber left in the stock bolt.

Rubbing in rear? no.

No rubbing in the rear with the Whiteline KCA399 camber bushings in the upper control arms.

Search words: Tein H.Tech, or Tein H-Tech, or Tein High Tech

Edited by rebourne
added pics

Some virtual dyno plots.

First up: DP and Muffs

Red is on very worn 225/40/18s

Blue is on 75% tread 225/45/18s

No other differences. Completely different days, but both around 65-68 degrees.

~half tank gas

AC off

Windows up

Similar poundage of stuff in the car

Cobb OTS Stage 2 ACN 91 Octane map

Cobb catted DP

Pro Tuning Lab (aka Ebay) muffs on stock mid and Y

OEM Sti up pipe

AQ Motorsports rebuild with JE FSR stock compression pistons

Shell ACN 91 octane

Stock everything else: VF40, intake, tmic, injectors, fp etc etc

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=223202&stc=1&d=1453277051

Not sure I am using the right defaults for VD. SAE checked, smoothing is 4 as that looked more "real" to me than higher or lower. Everything else is default, including "DynoJet" for Dyno Correction Factor.

The road I am using is new and decently smooth, with virtually no traffic because it's a dead end. But it's got a bump or two, a slight bend, and is way too short for 4th gear runs. I'm still on the lookout for something better.

Next up: V52, ELH, TMIC, Intake

Red is the above hardware with the 225/45s

Blue is with the below upgrades, and un-tuned

Both days 68-73

~ half tank gas

AC off

Windows up

Similar poundage of stuff in the car

Cobb OTS Stage 2+SF ACN 91 Octane map

Cobb catted DP

Pro Tuning Lab (aka Ebay) muffs on stock mid and Y

Invidia 1.5 scroll ELH

VF52 (OEM, no porting, etc)

AVO TMIC

GrimmSpeed intake

AQ Motorsports rebuild with JE FSR stock compression pistons

Shell ACN 91 octane

Stock everything else: injectors, fp etc

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=228288&stc=1&d=1460748049

Not a great comparison because I rolled into it late, and let off early. The boost curve is interesting though. I'm clearly making more boost than on the previous setup. Target boost in the OTS tune is 16.0 +/- 0.8, and I'm hitting over 17 regularly. interesting.

40sVS45s.thumb.jpg.623d1c3664098bab046fb815a8f445c1.jpg

45sRun_vs_AVOVF52ELH.thumb.jpg.87a25f6fd88a1af8385d5b331357d2a5.jpg

Edited by rebourne

Comparison of the E85 tune (not the final revision) vs final 91 ACN. Both with 850cc injectors, Invidia ELH, Grimmspeed intake, and same exhaust:

32752848364_4366a2b671_b.jpg

Red run was on 25.94" tires and blue is on 26.74" and adjusted for the height (and thus gearing) difference in VD. That's just going off of the numbers printed on the sidewall, not actual measurements, take em with a grain of salt.

The E85 peak torque at the same point in the graph that peak torque is reached on the 91 graphs = 388 ft-lbs.

yeilding:

341hp 388ft-lbs @ 23psi on E85

vs

276hp 327ft-lbs @ 20psi on 91 ACN

+65hp and +62 ft-lbs Woot Woot!

Edited by rebourne
added virtual dyno graphs

I liked your mention of the removal of backseat headrests. I did that too ages ago, for several reasons. Unobstructed rear view, almost never have backseat passengers, when putting the back seats down, the headrest always gets tight against my wife's (passenger) seat, and i used to have the seats down most of the time for the dog passenger, and found it easier to stash groceries behind my seat in the footwell without headrests.

Alot of that will change when baby arrives in a month though. Probably will put the center headrest back for the rear facing seat mirror, and seats will probably always be up.

Sent from my XT1028

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Damn.. I love the h-tech stance. I wish I did that over my H&Rs on my 2.5i sedan.

Can I add a controversial tip?

Dis assembly: I bought a bag of 100 hefty zip ties, and threw about 8-10 of them on the spring very snug. When I loosed the top hat, they all held the spring compressed.

Re-assembly: Compress the spring with a compressor. Zip tie it the compressed spring. Remove compressors. Assemble strut. Cut one tie at a tie and it will pop right into place.

I found this a lot easier than trying to finagle the spring compressor on the spring. The compressor / top hat / strut body always got in the way of each other. Maybe I don't have an ideal compressor.

Either way it was about $20 for the zip ties, and well worth it.

Damn.. I love the h-tech stance. I wish I did that over my H&Rs on my 2.5i sedan.

Can I add a controversial tip?

Dis assembly: I bought a bag of 100 hefty zip ties, and threw about 8-10 of them on the spring very snug. When I loosed the top hat, they all held the spring compressed.

Re-assembly: Compress the spring with a compressor. Zip tie it the compressed spring. Remove compressors. Assemble strut. Cut one tie at a tie and it will pop right into place.

I found this a lot easier than trying to finagle the spring compressor on the spring. The compressor / top hat / strut body always got in the way of each other. Maybe I don't have an ideal compressor.

Either way it was about $20 for the zip ties, and well worth it.

I love that! The loaned Autozone MacStrut compressor I used was not a great fit with the spring on the strut, and the zip tie idea is great. Totally would have simplified the install. And zipties!

*DISCLAIMER* Also sounds like a total Darwin Awards way of dying!

Edited by rebourne

I would throw a disclaimer in for anyone reading the above few posts and thinking about using zipties on a compressed spring while not understanding the dangers in doing that...

Using zipties to secure a spring in a compressed state is VERY DANGEROUS!

Swap the ABS Module and then swap to a size in between LGT and outback. like 245/45R17 gives you some clearance and more contact patch. then brakes. lol.

That's an interesting idea. The stock diameter tires are really stuffing the wheel wells. I haven't done any research on the ABS thing, but is it that easy? The ABS module calculates the road speed back to the ECU, I assume. The Outback has the higher 4.444 FD though, so going smaller diameter is really going to speed up highway rpms. Hrmm...

edit:

did some research:

Swap ABS sensor:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5042209&postcount=8

tire diameter:

stock OBXT: 26.74

stock LGT: 24.62, 8% smaller

245/45/17: 25.68, 4% smaller. ie: half way between OBXT and LGT stock size.

245/40/18: 25.72, 3.8% smaller: ie: winner winner

Of note, several LGT owners report their mph is more accurate with a 225/45/17, which is 6.6% smaller than OBXT.

Edited by rebourne

Update on the Tein H-Techs

The Koni/H-Tech combo is awesome. I love it. There's a ton of construction around my work, and I don't even lift when I see the steel plates across the street. This suspension just sucks it right up. No bang, no drama. I'm sure the gigantic 225/55s have something to do with that, but I have them at 42 (forty two) psi, so they aren't exactly mushy.

The cornering is impressing me more and more. I'm not really applying power through the corners, since I'm trying to stay out of boost during the motor break in, so I can't really report. And I still haven't gotten aligned. But my oh my is it a completely different car than the stock OBXT I took home. I've yet to make the Goodyears squeal, but I have to strap down everything in the car now, because everything goes flying in the corners.

Now to the main reason for this update: There has been some settling in the rear. Unfortunately I lost the exact numbers when my laptop rebooted... before I was smart enough to hit save. But the rear was a hair lower than the front on both sides.

So I installed the 3/8" rear spacers I had. Then rolled the windows down, put on KCRW Metropolis, and put about 20 miles on the spacers. Seaked out speed bumps and sharp bumps that made the whole car hop. Should have settled them good.

New measurements in the garage:

LF: 26 1/4

RF: 26 9/16

LR: 26 1/4

RR: 26 9/16

ie: the left side is same front and rear, and the right side is same front and rear. I'm not sure why the left side is consistently down vs the right side. But it's only a quarter inch, so I'm not losing sleep.

19774599059_8bc68821b3_h.jpg

Yesterday had fender roll, trim and tiny bit of a pull performed by the legendary Tony. Can't really pull on the OBXT like a regular car because the plastic fender flairs won't sit right, so it's mostly just trimming the fender plastic and folding the lip. Tony's done more than a few Outback's. I think mine might have been the first one he's seen on stock wheels and tires though :-p

The good ol' Eastwood Roller (before I realized camera was in manual focus):

20154975306_3c550b74a7_z.jpg

Left front rub marks, on trimmed inner wheel well plastic:

20186860381_05103fa7d2_z.jpg

More left front rub marks:

19993166318_18eb2a8b8f_z.jpg

Trimming the plastic lip of the fender flair:

19558584174_7dfe2fa6eb_z.jpg

Some serious rub marks on that trimmed off plastic:

20154977106_2ca48e2d82_z.jpg

There's a tiny bit of pull on the left rear:

20181250665_dcfd61aea2_z.jpg

Compare to the right rear before rolling/pulling:

19993219760_309e262289_z.jpg

Tony says: "Kid's, don't try this at home."

20154975796_81ff0af2cc_z.jpg

More rubbing marks, from right front trimmed inner wheel well plastic:

20173102482_63ec950222_z.jpg

And that's about it. I don't have new wheels yet. I'm scanning the interwebs everyday.... funds are tight right now after the rebuild, if you can imagine. But the car's ready.

Cleaned up the wiring for the AP V3

Vent mount bracket from Amazon (http://amzn.com/B00KC4XBW8) that clicks right into the AP mount, AP mount, Accessport, the Cobb cable, and the thin 12" extension cable (http://amzn.com/B00GGLVXG2) :

19589519994_e64748e049_z.jpg

Popped out the blank plate in the side mirror module, after removing the whole thing. Getting the plugs out of the mirror and rear wiper controls was the hardest part!

20024153478_cfd097e789_z.jpg

All put back together. There's a nice spot back in there behind the knee crash support to bundle the Cobb cable so it's tucked away:

20185908736_02f268a20b_z.jpg

Cobb cable and vent bracket at work, holding up the AP:

20212164755_49cdc8cd54_z.jpg

The low profile OBD2 cable. I'm no longer bumping it with my feet, and it looks so much cleaner:

20024138808_5119ab5aef_z.jpg

The finished product:

20217894701_23bacd33d7_z.jpg

Yesterday had fender roll, trim and tiny bit of a pull performed by the legendary Tony. Can't really pull on the OBXT like a regular car because the plastic fender flairs won't sit right, so it's mostly just trimming the fender plastic and folding the lip. Tony's done more than a few Outback's. I think mine might have been the first one he's seen on stock wheels and tires though :-p

The good ol' Eastwood Roller (before I realized camera was in manual focus):

20154975306_3c550b74a7_z.jpg

Left front rub marks, on trimmed inner wheel well plastic:

20186860381_05103fa7d2_z.jpg

More left front rub marks:

19993166318_18eb2a8b8f_z.jpg

Trimming the plastic lip of the fender flair:

19558584174_7dfe2fa6eb_z.jpg

Some serious rub marks on that trimmed off plastic:

20154977106_2ca48e2d82_z.jpg

There's a tiny bit of pull on the left rear:

20181250665_dcfd61aea2_z.jpg

Compare to the right rear before rolling/pulling:

19993219760_309e262289_z.jpg

Tony says: "Kid's, don't try this at home."

20154975796_81ff0af2cc_z.jpg

More rubbing marks, from right front trimmed inner wheel well plastic:

20173102482_63ec950222_z.jpg

And that's about it. I don't have new wheels yet. I'm scanning the interwebs everyday.... funds are tight right now after the rebuild, if you can imagine. But the car's ready.

Newbie question here..... How do you use the fender roller on an AWD car? Don't you need the hub to spin freely?