LegacyGT.com

2012 Legacy suspension change

Hey guys, I use to have a 2004 WRX with a bunch of mods including suspension, but then I got into an accident. Fast forward a few years and I now have a 2012 Legacy 3.6R.

I hate the suspension on this thing. It is way to bouncy. I want to firm it up. What are my options? Should I do springs and shocks or just shocks? I think I only need the shocks. I don?t want to lower it or anything just firm it up. Better more stable ride. I won?t be taking it to the track or anything and it is a daily driver. But it needs to be better.

Also, with my WRX it was pretty easy doing the suspension. From what I remember I didn?t need spring compressors or anything like that. Is it the same for the Legacy?

Any insight and help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The consensus around here is koni sports.

Right now they have a sale til June 30th.

Front shocks $139 each (you'll need donor struts)

Rear shocks $141 each

I'll be making my purchase in 30 days....

If you scroll down you'll see a current thread where Falcor is doing the upgrade with lots of details.

There's another detailed install on here somewhere, just use the search function.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

If you are wanting to stay at stock ride height, the 13-14 springs are stiffer than the 10-12 and a nice improvement. Koni's are awesome, but be aware that the fronts require the cut-a-strut approach (not a big deal, but does take time - depending on how rusty your fronts are now, you might consider purchasing KYB fronts from Rockauto or similar as donors. (there are a few of us who have done that - they work perfectly for that application) - also, if the swaybars are still OEM, the front from a 13+ increases the diameter from 23 to 26mm and then the 20mm rear from the STi is a nice upgrade out back.

There are a couple of nice threads on Koni's - the one from GTeaser is 5th gen specific and has everything in it you might want to know, and the one from Fredbeans is more 4th gen, but the procedure is essentially the same.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/koni-yellow-sport-shocks-2010-legacy-fitment-214426.html

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/koni-shock-strut-epic-engineering-spring-install-145744.html

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

Regarding the Konis, I am in Canada and I can't seem to find them easily or for a decent price. Not only that but it seems like it can be alot of work. I am going to be doing it myself, so I would prefer something a bit easier.

That being said, I will probably order from Rockauto, but I don't see them listed there. I do see the KYBs (which is what I had on my WRX) so I am familiar with them. How would they compare? Would they do the job similar to the Konis but alot better than stock? Also, where can i get the stiffer springs? Rockauto also doesn't seem to have those.

Lastly, is it a pretty straight forward swap? Will I need spring compressors? Is there a tutorial that someone has done on the forum? With my WRX it was pretty straight forward.

I actually just realized that the link above has a fairly detailed how to on installing it all, which says I will need spring compressors. Good to know.

Thanks for the info!

Edited by 04rex

I do see the KYBs (which is what I had on my WRX) so I am familiar with them. How would they compare? Would they do the job similar to the Konis but alot better than stock?
the ones for the 13-14 will be better damped than the stock 10-12, but are a ways away from what the Koni's offer

Also, where can i get the stiffer springs?
For the springs, not sure what the market is like in canada - OEM springs are pretty affordable, though.

Lastly, is it a pretty straight forward swap? Will I need spring compressors?
pretty standard installation as far as struts go - as you found out, spring compressors are necessary - also, the fronts use an eccentric bolt as the upper bolt, so mark the bolts radial position before removing the fronts, and transfer the mark to the new struts so you get them more or less where they need to be - then you'll need an alignment.

Don't forget since youre doing springs you'll want new top hats. Please be aware that the konis are SLIGHTLY fatter than the OEM struts and the fronts will need drilled out a bit.

Parts you'll want are as follows to make it clean

2 - 8010 1055Sport (Rear)

2 - 8610 1447Sport (Front)

1 - 339222 (KYB Front left DONOR strut)

1 - 339223 (KYB Front right DONOR strut)

2 - 20380AJ10A (front springs 2013 3.6R)

2 - 20330AJ10A (REAR springs 2013 3.6R)

new top hats

if you want another direction there are always coils from a bunch of companies. I recommend Gecko who has designed them specifically for fifth gen legacy/outback

Off topic. You considered tuning that h6? The 3.6R has a lot of potential for power (not GT level but way more than the 2.5i)

Edited by Golferdude1087

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

Regarding the Konis, I am in Canada and I can't seem to find them easily or for a decent price. Not only that but it seems like it can be alot of work. I am going to be doing it myself, so I would prefer something a bit easier.

That being said, I will probably order from Rockauto, but I don't see them listed there. I do see the KYBs (which is what I had on my WRX) so I am familiar with them. How would they compare? Would they do the job similar to the Konis but alot better than stock? Also, where can i get the stiffer springs? Rockauto also doesn't seem to have those.

Lastly, is it a pretty straight forward swap? Will I need spring compressors? Is there a tutorial that someone has done on the forum? With my WRX it was pretty straight forward.

I actually just realized that the link above has a fairly detailed how to on installing it all, which says I will need spring compressors. Good to know.

Thanks for the info!

No shipping cost to Canada....no tax either.

$283.72usd for a pair of rears, shipped

$279.74usd for a pair of fronts, shipped

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

the ones for the 13-14 will be better damped than the stock 10-12, but are a ways away from what the Koni's offer

For the springs, not sure what the market is like in canada - OEM springs are pretty affordable, though.

pretty standard installation as far as struts go - as you found out, spring compressors are necessary - also, the fronts use an eccentric bolt as the upper bolt, so mark the bolts radial position before removing the fronts, and transfer the mark to the new struts so you get them more or less where they need to be - then you'll need an alignment.

Perfect, thank you for that. I will mark the bolt.

Don't forget since youre doing springs you'll want new top hats. Please be aware that the konis are SLIGHTLY fatter than the OEM struts and the fronts will need drilled out a bit.

Parts you'll want are as follows to make it clean

2 - 8010 1055Sport (Rear)

2 - 8610 1447Sport (Front)

1 - 339222 (KYB Front left DONOR strut)

1 - 339223 (KYB Front right DONOR strut)

2 - 20380AJ10A (front springs 2013 3.6R)

2 - 20330AJ10A (REAR springs 2013 3.6R)

new top hats

if you want another direction there are always coils from a bunch of companies. I recommend Gecko who has designed them specifically for fifth gen legacy/outback

Off topic. You considered tuning that h6? The 3.6R has a lot of potential for power (not GT level but way more than the 2.5i)

Thank you for that parts list. I will probably end up going the KYB route to be honest. Just easier for me right now.

So I would get the KYBs front and rear off of Rockauto for the 2012 model year like you have above, then the front and rear springs from the 2013 model year as above, which I can check my dealer for pricing on that or somewhere online I guess as well. Which top hats are recommended? 2012 model year or 2013 or aftermarket? I think Rockauto also has the Top Hats but i have to check.

Anything else i should look at or know suspension wise?

I haven't even looked into tuning yet. I knew a lot about my old WRX when it came to that but regarding the Legacy and non turbo I don't know much. I wouldn't even know where to start. I may look into it later on depending on price and what kind of performance I can get out of it.

Thanks for the help!

Get the 13/14 kyb, they are better dampened and will improve the ride quality. All top hats 10-14 are identical and yeah i got mine off rock auto.

Look into sway bars.

You can swap the 2013 front sway bar into the 12 (its a 26mm sway bar, vs your 23), and helps a lot.

Also swap a 2015+ sti 20mm rear sway bar to keep the neutral driving dynamics but improve the float and the sway.

Get the 13/14 kyb, they are better dampened and will improve the ride quality. All top hats 10-14 are identical and yeah i got mine off rock auto.

Look into sway bars.

You can swap the 2013 front sway bar into the 12 (its a 26mm sway bar, vs your 23), and helps a lot.

Also swap a 2015+ sti 20mm rear sway bar to keep the neutral driving dynamics but improve the float and the sway.

So it sounds like get everything from 13/14 model year lol. I guess they realized what they did and improved it. Thanks for your help in this.

I hope to place the order from Rock soon. I might hold back on the sway bars for now.

For the tuning aspect, where should i look so i can get an idea?

Please be aware that the konis are SLIGHTLY fatter than the OEM struts and the fronts will need drilled out a bit.
I didn't need to drill out the fronts at all - only the rears.

So it sounds like get everything from 13/14 model year lol. I guess they realized what they did and improved it. Thanks for your help in this.

I hope to place the order from Rock soon. I might hold back on the sway bars for now.

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com

He's tuned a ton of 3.6Rs

If you are not planning on lowering at all, the 13-14 swap is a good way to go. You may want to borrow or purchase a pass through socket set to disassemble the original struts if you plan on reusing any original parts. I reused the front strut mounts, all boots, and all bump stops. Saved me like $50, but looking back I should have just bought all new. It did help to understand how everything fits together though.

New member here. Picked up a 2011 2.5i Premium 6MT with 71k about a month ago. I have a set of 26mm/20mm bars with CKSSP poly bushings ready to go on and received a set of Eibach lowering springs a few days ago.

Is it really that bad to go with 13/14 KYBs with the Eibach's? The cost of Koni's + front donors is a bit hard to swallow right now considering what I already paid for the springs (and the car). I feel like the total cost of that setup isn't far off from a set of BC's. Currently planning to just get the KYB's and reuse everything but the stock front mounts.

Edited by Plastixx
brain fart

If you are not planning on lowering at all, the 13-14 swap is a good way to go. You may want to borrow or purchase a pass through socket set to disassemble the original struts if you plan on reusing any original parts. I reused the front strut mounts, all boots, and all bump stops. Saved me like $50, but looking back I should have just bought all new. It did help to understand how everything fits together though.

I looked at your thread and it is was helpful. Thanks for that.

Most likely I will buy all new parts. It is a 12' model year so I figured I will spend a bit more and just get it all new. 12-13 KYB shocks, and springs, top hats, bumper stops etc. I won't be lowering it so I am hopeful that the new KYBs and springs do a good enough job of firming it all up.

while not a legacy, I did the 14 suspension upgrade on my 2010 outback 3.6R along with a nice fat 20mm rear sway bar. Ride firmed up a bit but remains comfortable... should be under $500 for the complete smart strut assemblies. KYB parts were identical to OEM with the only difference being the studs/bolts for the mounting plates were larger.

No its fine to do it, the 13/14 struts are significantly better anyway and will work fine with the eibach springs.

Koni is more a sport oriented setup so unless you have the money to burn or plan to autox, the kybs are great for a daily.

No its fine to do it, the 13/14 struts are significantly better anyway and will work fine with the eibach springs.

Koni is more a sport oriented setup so unless you have the money to burn or plan to autox, the kybs are great for a daily.

Shhh....don't say such things. Koni's are absolutely necessary. :lol:

I vote H&R springs. It's a bit more of a DROP (1.3" vs 1" for Eibach) but another member said he liked them more than the Eibach. I've got the Koni/Eibach setup and it's way better than stock. You should see 100k miles out of them pretty easily. That's pretty much the life of the car. Plus the Koni are adjustable.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1j0P5giq_yC7a1t_Eve_K3f61NXLET1ILyX3aLi7jQ3c/edit?usp=drivesdk

I put together a bit of a 3.6R guide to help the new comers a bit. Lots of info. There's suspension stuff on there as well.

yall need to stop with the koni love, my wallet is hurting even just *considering* going down that road

Don't worry. I did the math recently. I'm probably in about $6k of stuff on the Legacy. Between sway bars, end links, bushings, suspension, wheels, tires, headlights, grill, tune and cat back exhaust.

I'm half awake so I'll chime back in tomorrow about the Koni install process.

Edited by Timothy.B

between head gaskets and the better part of a thousand dollars in stuff i've got sitting around waiting to go on, and needing tires for the wheels i have sitting around i'll be around that $6k mark too. on a $10k car(at the most). ugh.

Don't worry. I did the math recently. I'm probably in about $6k of stuff on the Legacy. Between sway bars, end links, bushings, suspension, wheels, tires, headlights, grill, tune and cat back exhaust.

I'm not nearly that far in, but I'm afraid to figure it up. :lol:

I use AUTOasist to track all vehicle expense, even fuel. So, you know now I'll figure it up.

I think back to this post from Gteaser in 2016 when we get a new member. It still rings true 4 years later:

You can do 10 mods that make the car more enjoyable for less than the cost of a cat back exhaust, which isnt necessary to make more power.

1. Perrin Shift Bushing

2. Perrin, Boomba or Kartboy Short Shift adapter.

3. Clutch Damper Delete

4. 22mm Whiteline RSB

5. Carbotech Panther (AX6) front pads

6. Perrin Steering Damper Lockdown

7. Goodridge Ss braided brake lines

8. Perrin Shifter Stop

9. Perrin Throttle Body Coupler

10. LED interior, license plate, etc bulbs.

I have done everything here except the brake pads and SS brake lines...kinda. I installed a 20mm STI RSB and the PO had the factory throttle body coupler replaced not long before selling it.

Following this list initially would be a good gameplan for any new 5th gen GT owner. ;)

Hey guys. When I look up the factory springs, a diagram on one of the sites also shows things like rubber seat rear strut up or spacer strut front or spring seat upper front. Do I need all of those pieces? I am looking at replacing the struts and springs as well as top hats.

Thanks