LegacyGT.com

A/C Compressor Clutch Replacement - DIY Walkthrough

I found a kit on eBay utilizing new parts: http://www.ebay.com/itm/252332680584?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT I liked the idea of getting ones without any wear so I didn't end up having to do this again 6-12 months down the road.

The parts are definitely not identical to the stock ones been seem well enough made. I'll post back in 6 months time to update everyone on how they're holding up.

Any updates?

• 1 month later...
Bumping this up. Has anyone replaced just the bearing in the pulley or does anyone have a picture of the bearing with numbers so I can source a replacement? When I removed my alternator there was quite a bit of dust and I'm thinking that at 220k, the bearing may be on its way out.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I believe I am having issues with my compressor clutch. With the AC off everything is fine. Once I turn the AC on I only get intermittent cold air and sometimes the pulley seizes with the clutch engaged. The R134a pressure is right where it is supposed to be so that isn't the issue. I have a 2001 Outback wagon with about 180k miles on it to give you an idea how old the compressor is. Does this sound like something a new clutch will fix? I ordered this one off ebay and it should be here by Monday: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254207433120 The seller said it will work if I have the original factory compressor which I believe I do. $45 is better than $300+ to replace the compressor so I hope this works.

• 3 years later...

Bumping this helpful thread 3 years later. My 212K miles compressor (I'm thinking it's the original one) seems to have departed. The socket trick to remove it was very helpful! I was going to try to fix the clutch/gap, but it may be more than that given its age.