LegacyGT.com

19mm rear sway bar install

Guest rayms69

I was going to order a set and put the Poly bushings in together with the RSB, but I would like a conclusive fix to the "Flight-e-ness", and changing two things at a time leaves me guessing which fixed the issue. More to come.

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... 20mm RSB ... fixing what is obviously wrong.

Bulldust! But driving too fast (e.g. "75-85 mph" on a 70 mph road) in gusty crosswind conditions will often produce the symptoms you describe. Extra points if your wheels, tires, and/or suspension are non-standard, and/or your tire pressures are off spec.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I was going to order a set and put the Poly bushings in together with the RSB, but I would like a conclusive fix to the "Flight-e-ness", and changing two things at a time leaves me guessing which fixed the issue. More to come.

I've heard of this issue before. It feels like your back end was just floating/fishtailing a little as you drove in a straight line? Wonder if it's a side effect of changing from hydraulic to electric power steering?

ammcinnis, Back at ya...Bulldust...IDK if you've ever driven in Northern Maine, I95, Logging truck traffic, NOTHING there, if your not doing 80+, your endangering yourself by being passed by the trucks(not the best maintained Trucks either). OK, OK, the speed was faster than I usually drive but didn't feel excessive, fact and scope of this tread, the car feels flighty on the highway, (I've had other cars at those speeds and they didn't feel like that)

BTW, I have 225/45/18 new snow tires properly inflated

Soooo, I will post and let you know the results.

Pilot1226, YES, the rear of the car is wishy-washy, even at 70mph

Received the 20mm sway bar and installed same. Functional flight complete, no discrepancies noted. I'll update when I can get on the Highway. Easy install once things were "loosened up".

R/Mac

Update 4-09-2018

After driving for several hours on the Highway, I feel that the 20mm Sway-bar corrects about 70% of what I expected, No negative harshness and much improved ride stabilization at higher speeds. Probably best "Bang for the Buck" and easy installation to boot.

Thanks for all who provided links etc.

R/Mac

Edited by 2manysubies
update

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed mine a few minutes ago but didn't get to test drive yet. From an install stand point it's fairly simple but I strongly suggest replacing the end links as part of this kit. My car is a 2016 with 11k miles and the end links were still a bitch to remove. 20 minutes of the installation was trying to keep the nut from spinning trying to remove it. Needle nose vice grips to the rescue and I was able to reuse the stock links. However some grease came out so I'm sure I'll be replacing them soon. I would say it's worth just removing the old sway bar and links together and then just reinstall the new one with new links. If done this way it can be done in 35-40 minutes on jackstands. I removed both wheels and put the car on jackstands. Some guys have said they did it on ramps. I guess it's possible but removing the wheels is so much easier especially if the nut is giving you problems.

Also from what I gathered reading thru the tread was that was no handling difference if the hump was up or down. Is it safe to assume this?

Edited by fullah

I replaced mine on ramps without removing any rear tires. Took me about 30 minutes in my driveway. Handling differences are side to side and makes a difference on a very windy day. The hump should ALWAYS face up and away from the exhaust and other steel components. If yours is down, it should be reinstalled correctly...just like the one you just took out;) Edited by securityguy

All I can say is that they are designed to have the hump face upwards...it is that way for a reason. Not sure what "noise" people are trying to avoid with installing the Whiteline "upside-down". Should not be much different than factory spec. except thicker and adjustable based on the bar purchased.

All I can say is that they are designed to have the hump face upwards...it is that way for a reason. Not sure what "noise" people are trying to avoid with installing the Whiteline "upside-down". Should not be much different than factory spec. except thicker and adjustable based on the bar purchased.

It's not a vague "noise". The Whiteline 21-23mm adjustable rear sway bar produces a muffled metallic thumping sound when installed with the hump up. The thumps go away when the hump is installed downwards. This has all been well documented.

Edited by surmiser
@redvenetian on Instagram

It's not a vague "noise". The Whiteline 21-23mm adjustable rear sway bar produces a muffled metallic thumping sound when installed with the hump up. The thumps go away when the jump is installed downwards. This has all been well documented.

That's what I saw as well. So this confirms it doesn't matter if the hump is up or down.

sounds like the Whiteline bar is not a correct fit for a Legacy, since you have to install it upside down.

I am sure it is worth it for the extra 1-3 mm of stiffness over a 20mm bar that costs $100 dollars...

Just not for me.

... this confirms it doesn't matter if the hump is up or down.

The hump is there for clearance, that's all. A moderate hump does not affect the function of a long torsion bar like the RSB, and the orientation of that hump has no effect whatsoever.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• 4 weeks later...

Any threads clearly comparing the 19mm to the 20mm RSB? I searched mod threads - might be buried in some of those hundreds of pages... Thinking I might do this the first night my 2018 3.6R comes home. I mostly do highway driving and this seems like money well spent.

I see the 20mm bar (that I'm drawn to) includes bushings. I don't see any upgraded links available at Subaru Online Parts... Recommendations? Don't worry about it? Might as well install beefier links while I'm at it?

https://subaruonlineparts.com/subaru-legacy-rear-20mm-sway-p-4225.html

@traildogck...are you a registered reseller on this forum?

You mean vendor? Isn’t that what the green username denotes?

//

The OEM bushings (two new rubber bushings are supplied with the 20” sway kit) are fine for a daily-driver. I used poly with the RCE sways on my STI and, while they’re definitely less compressible, I’d say it’s of zero value if you’re not rally-X’ing or driving like a maniac.

I like that the larger rear bar reduces understeer and that it changes the dynamics on bumpy, uneven highways (just a modest amount, though). I also like that the OEM bushings don’t need to be lubricated and won’t make noise for a long time.

Edited by gathermewool

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

Wanna pop in and share my experience with the 75D CKE SSP bushings. I did the 26mm FSB and 20mm RSB on my 5th gen initially with the OEM bushings, and it made a noticeable difference, but I honestly noticed a larger difference switching to the CKE bushings than I did from installing the bars, and they fit identical to OEM, no increased NVH. Excellent product, well worth the money. Can't say enough good about them.

kipjKSi.png.f5112fb12aa7f7f6918176c516d087d3.png

xuD7YQK.thumb.jpg.dbadc12732eaa0196dad0b95c32b3b24.jpg

@traildogck...are you a registered reseller on this forum?

to answer for Mr. Dog.

(as the "@" mention function is not enabled on this forum ...yet,...such works pretty good on the outback forum though...used ALL the time).

traildogck = the maker = seller.

and on this forum,...listed as a "homebrew vendor" under his name.

(a great description). :)

to answer for Mr. Dog.

(as the "@" mention function is not enabled on this forum ...yet,...such works pretty good on the outback forum though...used ALL the time).

traildogck = the maker = seller.

and on this forum,...listed as a "homebrew vendor" under his name.

(a great description). :)

With all due respect...not what I am asking. Don't care if he makes them, buys them, imports them or what...he is selling them and I was simply asking if he's a registered "vendor"...that's all.

In addition, I think this man can speak for himself;)

With all due respect...not what I am asking. Don't care if he makes them, buys them, imports them or what...he is selling them and I was simply asking if he's a registered "vendor"...that's all.

In addition, I think this man can speak for himself;)

I am not around all that much.

Let me catch up. I am registered as a homebrew vendor.

CKE SSP product information and sales : chris.ckessp@gmail.com