LegacyGT.com

1999 struggle with fuel/mix when starting and taking off.

I hope everyone is having a great pandemic, been I awhile for me to visit and my issue is kind of hard to explain, it acts like it isn't getting fuel when I first start the car and take off. It gets going and then seems to run pretty well after that first initial 10 seconds.

I'm just now making sure it isn't doing it only when the AC is on.

I have changed the fuel filter twice, it was awful the first time so I put a new one in and replaced it pretty quick. This morning I replace the fuel pump and the problem still purists. I cleaned the Mass Air Flow sensor with Sea Foam and still persist.

I just turned the AC off and drove it a little and didn't notice the problem running errands but will keep driving without the AC on to see if it is linked.

Everything seems great, no check engine light. Just seeing if anyone has had an issue. 2.5 auto transmission 109,000 miles.

Thanks fellas.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, without any codes being thrown, this is still proving to be a mystery. Here is what I notice. If I drive a bit, get up to running temps, turn it off to shop come back start it up and throw in reverse or forward and it hesitates, the beeping from the key being put in can be interrupted like it's shorted.

Runs perfectly fine the rest of the time, and I think if I start it up and let it run for a bit before moving it will likely be just fine, will test this theory more.

Battery, alternator and all components test fine according to AutoZone. Fuel pump brand new, new fuel filter. Plugs have a couple thousand miles on them.

Here is one thing I am concerned about, it is almost 110,000 miles on the original timing belt. It's scheduled to go into the shop on the 10th for the whole kit. Maybe the belt is stretched enough to effect the performance I don't know.

Problem SOLVED, remember Plugs, Wires, Ignitor/Coil, Fuel Filter, Fuel Pump, Alternator.

I had already changed the plugs but did not change the wires. Turned out the wires I replaced were Yazaki 1998 which after a little google time, I'm pretty sure are the factory original wires. Threw in some Duralast wires and good to go. Do have an NKG Ignitor Coil on it's way and will replace it and on the 10th I will be getting my timing kit replaced and the two front CV axles replaced. After that, just got to figure out the leak that is causing rain to run in under the dash on the passenger's side which shouldn't be too hard.

She's a good little subby.

My windshield guy told me that the glue around mine was dried and cracked to where it was leaking last time I got new front glass. Sounded weird to me, but it did leak before the job and not after, so I guess that glue doesn't work at all like I thought.

My windshield guy told me that the glue around mine was dried and cracked to where it was leaking last time I got new front glass. Sounded weird to me, but it did leak before the job and not after, so I guess that glue doesn't work at all like I thought.

I'm going to hose it down and see if I can make it leak. When I turn the AC on, it smells really moldy when it first starts running making me a little suspicious of a drain being plugged even though the dealer said it wasn't.

If my fix is different from pulling the glass and resealing, I will let you guys know.

Plugged drain is a possibility. I didn't consider that because I'm from AZ where we don't have such problems. Sometimes it literally rains up high on the radar and dries up before it hits the ground. I didn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes. Flippin 8% humidity!