LegacyGT.com

2010 vs 2013/14 6speed transmission

Hello all!

Currently looking for a replacement manual transmission for my moms 2010 2.5i Legacy.

I was wondering if the 13/14 year legacy will fit?

Not sure if much changed, but it seemed to be more available for those years then 2010-2012.

Any info input would be great appreciated.

Thanks

Should be exactly the same. The only difference might be very small ratio differences. Go to Cars101 to verify the ratios.

Car101 incorrectly lists the drive ratio as 4.44:1 when it is 4.11:1.

I remember after buying my 2012 2.5i that 2013 had a different final drive ratio than mine and I assumed that was correct for years. When I was doing research last year on ExtraMT and Subaru recommended gear oil. I opened up 2014 Service Manual and while I was looking at the gear oil and I noticed the final drive ratio was the same as the 2010-2012.

When I was looking at 6MT assembly part numbers, it seem like every model year had a different part number. The 2010-12 GT all did, as did the 2013 & 2014 2.5i (I didn't look up the 2010-2012 2.5i 6MT) I can't imagine them being all that different. I suspect they just got continuous improvements.

I overlooked at Subaru parts for the rear differential gear set. They state it fits years 10-14.

The only concern is will the transmission have the same mounting points? Bell housing, trans mount, etc.

Didn’t the 13+ legacy get the FB motors? Therefore, are the transmission from a EJ to FB swap able, or vice versa?

I just want to be 100% sure before going forward in purchasing the trans and not working.

I don't think anything is different other than the engine having a timing chain and a few other upgrades. I would be shocked if Subaru had changed the bolt pattern since it has been the same since the mid 90s.

• 1 month later...

Just figured I’d rest this thread and help anyone else in the future.

2013/2014 Legacy transmission will in fact work on a 2010-2012 Legacy.

Everything bolted straight up with absolutely no issues.

Fb and Ej series do have same bell housings bolts and pattern.

Cheers!!

Archived