LegacyGT.com

Moving to Austin, TX

GoSix

Hey peeps! I'm moving to Austin at the end of the month! I hear that Cobb has a meet at their headquarters every Thursday; so I hope to see some of you there! :cool:

Is there a thread for spotting in central/southern Texas?

Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

Welcome! Yeah Cobb has their meets and there are a few other local meets that move around the city. And I think there was an Austin thread but no one really ever sees anyone else. Looks like there's another red lgt wagon in town!

I work Thursday nights so I'm never there but I've been meaning to meet a few of the LGT guys. Maybe we should have a meet soon? I'm planning on pulling the car apart again at the end of the month so maybe before that?

What part of Austin are you moving to?

Since we'll be arriving on the 28th, I probably won't be up for any meets this month :). We are renting a furnished house in Allandale for one month while we find a more permanent place to live. My office is up off 183 and 360; so we'll be looking somewhere within 10 miles of there... preferably close to downtown. Allandale is a good area, but there aren't many homes to rent, and it's pricey.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

Hey, questions on smog and tuning.

Smog: I heard it is and OBDII test and no inspection or emissions? Will a Cobb AP map pass? Will I have to swap back my stock downpipe to pass?

Tuning: I was about to get a new dyno tune here in CA, but with the 93 octane gas in TX, my tuner suggested that I do it down there. I'm pretty sure Cobb HQ does not do tuning. Any recommendations nearby without driving all the way to Cobb in Plano?

Thanks again!

:lol: smog...all inspection places in Austin do is look for codes. They are more concerned with safety items. I've been catless for 4(5?) years now, passed inspection at a few different places. One service station shut off my car because it was stinking their bay up. No questions lol.

For tuning, since you have a simple set up, you could just do some road tuning. I can show you a few roads good for logging pulls or you can wait till later at night/early morning and hop on a toll road.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man, welcome to Austin! I live lk 5 min from 183 and 360. I think the cobb place is lk a mile from my house also but haven't been able to make it cause I always have stuff going on thursday nights, but I would be down for a meet if one is being planned.

I actually just came this section to look for a spotted in austin thread since I actually see quite a few LGTs around town, talked to one guy in the guitar center parking lot who had a spec-b and seemed lk a cool guy.

Thanks! I guess we should spot a central Texas / Austin spotted thread :). I just arrived Sunday night. I got my car into Austin Subaru for new rear brakes and 35% tinting all around. I'm loading the 93 octane Stage 2 AP map onto my ECU this morning. That should keep me good till I can get a custom map made.

I guess I should bump my question from earlier. Cobb AP maps pass the OBDII inspection in Austin?

Hmm yea I dont know too much about the tuner part since I havent had to get mine inspected yet. I just know they are pretty lax aside from safety issues.

Your car seems pretty sweet btw man... God idea on the tint also. It is hot as balls here in the summer.

Your car seems pretty sweet btw man... God idea on the tint also. It is hot as balls here in the summer.

Thanks! I bought my LGT in NM back in '04, and it had tinting all around, but I moved to CA, and the tinting went to shit over the years. So I had to wait to move to TX to get the front windows redone.

• 1 month later...
Quick update. I just got my inspection, plates, and driver's license. The inspection went off without a hitch :cool:. Oddly enough, it turns out MZM Performance about a half mile from my house; so I stopped by and said hi. I'll be getting some stuff done there soon :D

Sounds good. PM me or post on this thread when you are up and running :). Cheers!

Archived