LegacyGT.com

Burnt fuse for supertone

LGT80

HEY GUYS, I NEED SOME HELP HERE, I KEEP BLOWING MY HORN FUSE EVERYTIME, I CANT QUITE FIGURE OUT WHY YET, I HAVE THE SUBIMODS WIREHARNESS CONNECTED TO THE SUPERTONES, RED FEMALE CONNECTORS PLUGGED INTO THE THE LOWER MALE CONNECTOR ON THE HORN JUST LIKE THEY SAID TO ON THERE WEBSITE, I THINK ITS CUZ THE SUBIMODS WIREHARNESS COMES WITH A 20 AMP RELAY FUSE AND MY HORN FUSE IS A 15 AMP FUSE. IS THIS THE REASON??? DO I NEED TO CHANGE IT BOTH TO 20 OR 15 AMP FUSES??? I KNOW, DUMB QUESTION, BUT IM A NOOB SO THATS WHY IM POSTING THIS. HELP A FELLOW NOOB OUT. HAHA:lol:

DIY with 4 pin relay: Plug one of the connectors from the stock horns to either pin 85 or 86 on your new relay. Connect the other pin to a ground.

Wire pin 30 to your batter with a fuse. Pin 87 goes to the horns. Ground the horns to the chassis. Done.

I'm not sure why SM says they use a 5 pin relay :iam:

• 3 weeks later...
HEY GUYS, I NEED SOME HELP HERE, I KEEP BLOWING MY HORN FUSE EVERYTIME, I CANT QUITE FIGURE OUT WHY YET, I HAVE THE SUBIMODS WIREHARNESS CONNECTED TO THE SUPERTONES, RED FEMALE CONNECTORS PLUGGED INTO THE THE LOWER MALE CONNECTOR ON THE HORN JUST LIKE THEY SAID TO ON THERE WEBSITE, I THINK ITS CUZ THE SUBIMODS WIREHARNESS COMES WITH A 20 AMP RELAY FUSE AND MY HORN FUSE IS A 15 AMP FUSE. IS THIS THE REASON??? DO I NEED TO CHANGE IT BOTH TO 20 OR 15 AMP FUSES??? I KNOW, DUMB QUESTION, BUT IM A NOOB SO THATS WHY IM POSTING THIS. HELP A FELLOW NOOB OUT. HAHA:lol:

Hello,

If you could please give our support line a call and they will walk you through some trouble shooting steps to determine what exactly is to blame in this situation. We can be reached via email at sales@subimods.com or by phone at 860-291-0015

Thanks

RELAY.jpg

Mine was faulty as well, but luckily I caught it prior to installing, based on my previous experiences making my own harness. But hey, at least they used a proper fuse holder, which is more than can be said for DiodeDynamics.

Why is an additional relay needed for the supertones? Is the current draw that much more than the OE horn that the factory wiring is too light?

Correct.

One pair of Supertones can draw 12A at 12VDC.

Anything more than a very quick blast will pop the OE fuse, and simply installing a 20A fuse in the stock horn wiring is a recipe for a Car-B-Cue

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Yea, it's a lot of current.

Plus, a harness is going to deliver battery voltage to the horns (~14.1V or so), not the 12V fed to the OE horns.

A harness means less chance of cooking yourself like a hamburger AND louder horns.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

But I like hamburger... :hide:

Just thought I'd entertain myself by looking at the wiring diagram - where does it drop the voltage to the OE horns to 12v? Just curious, I don't have any plans to change the horns.

Through all of the wiring it takes to get to the horn.

Headlights drop substantially, too, and benefit from an HD harness.

I still don't understand why SM uses a 5-pin relay. It's completely unnecessary, and opens the door for sneak-paths and parasitic draw.

Well actually we'll tell you why we use a 5 pin relay in our harness. Unknown to many customers Hella produces and sells two Hella Supertone Horn Kits #003399801 and #003399803. In 2012 we began receiving the sporadic shipments of the #003399803's with the only noticeable change being the packing. At this time we were not including relays in our harnesses and they were configured to work with the standard 4 pin relay found in the packing of the #003399801 unknown to us at the time Hella began including a 5 pin relay in the newly received #003399803's. Well as you already know some Wiring Harnesses were shipped to customers along with the #003399803's. This is where the root cause of the battery drain issue stemmed from. Now to combat this issue we started including a relay. Why? Well how are we to know wether a customer had purchased an #003399801 or an #003399803 we can see that the change in part numbers correlates to a change in relays so had we not included a relay customers would just assume either or worked. The best solution was to provide customers with a guaranteed working solution so that when FedEx drops the package off at your door it is ready to go.

I hope that clears everything up for you.

Both Relays are available at any major parts store so I'm not sure how you state one or the other is more readily available. We provide free replacement relays for customers that experienced battery drain issues and low cost replacements for customers that have had relays go bad due to climate etc.

Bottom line is the Subimods Made Wiring Harness works correctly, there are no issues with our product. Our products continue to be best sellers in there respective industry and the quality of Wiring Harness is nothing less then 100%.

Thank you for your input though.

Let's keep this thread constructive, civil, and helpful. SubiMods has been a solid, responsive vendor resource for a lot of us, myself included, so I'm sure whatever the OP's issue is, they will work it out.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

so my supertones havent worked for two weeks now cuz i havent had the time to fix it, just leaving work today, and all of a sudden the horns go OFF for no apparent reason....loud of f*ck!!!! they wouldnt stop till i popped the hood and pulled out the relay fuse. WTF!?!?! SUBIMODS!?!?! this is some crap ass wiring you sold me, and no, i did not wire them wrong either. i tired calling but every time i get a stupid ass answering machine. lame ass customer support. never buying or recommending you guys EVER!!

so my supertones havent worked for two weeks now cuz i havent had the time to fix it, just leaving work today, and all of a sudden the horns go OFF for no apparent reason....loud of f*ck!!!! they wouldnt stop till i popped the hood and pulled out the relay fuse. WTF!?!?! SUBIMODS!?!?! this is some crap ass wiring you sold me, and no, i did not wire them wrong either. i tired calling but every time i get a stupid ass answering machine. lame ass customer support. never buying or recommending you guys EVER!!

We are available Monday through Friday 9 am to 6 pm EST. We are also available on extended hours via email and private message. I will reach out to you via private message so hopefully we can assist you in the situation.

Our customer service is top notch and I can guarantee had the call been received during our normal hours my self or one of my sales representatives would have had the situation corrected.

Thank you.

Archived