LegacyGT.com

Duplicate Key - how much?

How much did you pay for your duplicate key?

So I am planning to install a remote starter and figured I have only two keys (no valet key). Installer said the duplicate key from a dealer should be about $80. Local dealer quoted me at $175. A bit steep.

175$ may includ re-programming.

Actually when you get a new key, you must tell the car that a new key is allowed to ignate the car, however all other keys must also be re-programmed as part of the new configuration.

Been through that as got the same price (bit less or more).

OP has an 08 which, if I remember correctly the key has the remote build into it which is probably why the key is more expensive. Us 05-07 have separate key and remote. I just bought a key ($30) and had it cut/programmed at the dealer ($45). I'm sure the key is much more expensive if the remote is built in.

OP has an 08 which, if I remember correctly the key has the remote build into it which is probably why the key is more expensive. Us 05-07 have separate key and remote. I just bought a key ($30) and had it cut/programmed at the dealer ($45). I'm sure the key is much more expensive if the remote is built in.
this must be it. thanks for all of the responses.

You can use an 05-07 key in an 08/09 if you don't want the integrated remote. . . the aftermarket no. is SUB4PT, I keep them. . . they're about $80 out the door cut and programmed from us.

All keys must be programmed at the same time.

They can be cloned (chip is electronically duplicated rather than added into the car, so no programming is done at the vehicle), but I don't even stock the cloneable keys as they look like caca and cost 3x more than the regular ones.

So you *might* be able to get Home Despot to run you one out as that's how they roll (clone keys only), but odds are about as good you'll get a delicious steak at the high school cafeteria.

Yeah I jumped in the lake with my keys in the shorts so now im have a dead key. In order to replace I need to buy a new key, take all three keys (2 original, 1 new) to the dealer and pay to have them programmed??

I saw the video on how to do this and its seems straight forward but my question is what happens if you mess up in the middle of say the second key??

I was wondering what video you were referring to regarding key programming.

That's for the keyless entry remote (key fob). The chip in the key (needed for some immobilizer bypass modules for remote starters) cannot be programmed without diagnostic equipment.

The keys should not be damaged from a swim in the lake. . .fobs? not so lucky.

My question about the chip still stands.

Why does the remote starter installation require giving up entire key?

Can't you just take out the chip from the key and keep just the chip in the car?

Yes, you can take the chip out of the key and just put that in the bypass box. The chip is not particularly easy to remove from the head of the key as it's buried in there. You can do it, but it's tricky. If it bothers you having a key hidden inside your car, cut the blade off the key they use, that way it can't be used to start the car if someone were to, say, break out the window, find the immobilizer bypass box, and dig the key out of it.

Not all immobilizer bypass systems require a chip. Some can emulate them. Really it just depends on what your installer is using.

I keep just the chips around but most places don't. Probably wouldn't save you any money to just use the chip, plus you have to have either a plain metal key to program it or a chipless key shell. . .

I was wondering what video you were referring to regarding key programming.

That's for the keyless entry remote (key fob). The chip in the key (needed for some immobilizer bypass modules for remote starters) cannot be programmed without diagnostic equipment.

The keys should not be damaged from a swim in the lake. . .fobs? not so lucky.

I have 08 key All in One :(

• 2 weeks later...

As far as getting a duplicate key made, I have a 2006 Legacy, and I was searching to get one made and Home Depot or any other place like that couldn't do it because it has a computer chip in it. The only place that could do it was a dealer because of the computer chip in the key. It did cost about $175.

As far as a keyless remote I bought one off of eBay for about 30 bucks a programmed it myself in about 2 minutes. It is a fairly easy process.

lol well in my case, 'good' is subjective, but I am a locksmith, I can (and do) make these keys for less than half what you paid at the dealer. Definitely worth checking around. Worst case, PM me. I'm on a few locksmith forums, some auto-specific ones, so I can usually help you find someone capable of doing the job. Not always cheaper but definitely worth exploring.

I bought an immobilizer key off ebay. My local dealer quoted me $70 to program and cut. I called a few local locksmiths and they quoted the job at $90. I guess for around here, the dealer is the better bet.

Most of us don't like cutting someone else's keys. . . if they won't program in (happens probably 25% of the time), people all of the sudden don't want to pay. . . and I've done the same amount of work I would have done had I sold them my key that I know would have worked.

It's like bringing your own steak to a restaurant and asking them to cook it, then telling them you won't pay because you don't like the way it tastes. . . or bringing your own parts to a mechanic to install, then refusing to pay if it doesn't fix the issue.

My shop will do it, but we make it clear up front you're paying for the programming session whether or not it's successful. You want guaranteed? Buy the key from the people doing the cutting and programming.

That's not saying eBay sellers have crap product. . . I buy keys/remotes off there pretty regularly. I think the biggest problem is some people just buy the wrong stuff. I had a guy show up with a prox fob for a 350Z and wanted it programmed to his non-prox car. He bought it because he liked the way it looked better than the one he had and figured "nissan parts is nissan parts!". Took a lot of convincing to tell him it wasn't gonna happen no matter how hard I mashed the buttons on my programmer.

Also, we have a brick and mortar storefront. Most auto locksmiths are mobile only, so they usually bill for the trip to you. Some will discount if you meet them on a job (car lot or auction, usually).

Ok I found a local Locksmith next to Village Inn in Aurora at Illiff and Chambers. They cut my eBay key and programmed it for $35 plus I tipped him $5. So, $40 + $30 (eBay key) + $20 for a used eBay key fob (I had to program that by opening doors and locking/unlocking) = $90 total and I finally have a full spare set! Now, I won't be tripping if I lose my only set :)

If anyone needs Subaru keys in Denver, I'd highly recommend these guys. They knocked it out in less than 10 minutes.

Archived