LegacyGT.com

OBD2 + Torque (pro or lite)?

I am playing around with a bluetooth OBD2 adapter that I have - everything connects well with Torque, but it seems like you need to know more about the ECU to get more than just the basic info for the car... has anyone played around with Torque or are there other apps that are better? (I seem to remember folks putting together something for Subaru a while back - I am looking for something a bit more general so that I can use it on other cars)

Btssm. It is basically like having romraider logger on your phone.

What bluetooth dongle are you using? Not all work well with Btssm. Some just cannot support high speed data transfer. A tactrix cable+otg canle work well, or you can purchase a unique dongle specifically made for Btssm.

For Subarus Torque/Torque Pro are fairly useless and too slow.

Although if you want to stay generic OBDII and less generic E-OBDII, pickup Torque Pro and install the ActiveOBD for TQ plugin. That will at least give you some semi-useful info. E-OBDII hasnt been reverse engineered for Subarus well so thats likely as far as you can go with this combo.

Torque doesnt offer extended/advanced packages for Subaru yet, but it can do basic SSM via Kline and CAN now and can certainly do Mode 0x22 and 0x23 for E-OBDII on newer Subarus... just no good PID definitions for these modes yet.

As an alternative as the guys above have said, pickup BtSsm and use a OBDLinkLX/MX or VAG COM KLine or Tactrix OPv2 or even BtSsms own Bt dongle and enjoy all the SSM over Kline or SSM over CAN PID goodness.

Monitoring, logging, LVs, Knock Snapshots, ECU/TCU resets, etc etc.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/btssm-bluetooth-adapter-app-v-2-267811.html

Best $15 yoi can spend on a recent-gen Subaru.

With Torque make sure to set the Protocol right too, not AUTO, else random christmas lights and CAN bus gremlins. No such issues with BtSsm.

Not really looking for something Subaru-specific, at the minimum, I need it to work well with Honda, Toyota, Chrysler, as well as Subaru. BtSSM, while it sounds wonderful for Subaru, is more or less useless for other manufacturer cars.

For a Dongle, I have one of the ELM327 clones - it tests compatible through version 1.3a, connects quickly to my phone (Samsung S5) and interfaces with the Legacy and our van with no issues.

I have been playing with Torque Lite and Car Scanner ELM OBD2 which were two apps with decent reviews. Not sure if getting Torque Pro is worth the trouble or not

Not really looking for something Subaru-specific, at the minimum, I need it to work well with Honda, Toyota, Chrysler, as well as Subaru. BtSSM, while it sounds wonderful for Subaru, is more or less useless for other manufacturer cars.

For a Dongle, I have one of the ELM327 clones - it tests compatible through version 1.3a, connects quickly to my phone (Samsung S5) and interfaces with the Legacy and our van with no issues.

I have been playing with Torque Lite and Car Scanner ELM OBD2 which were two apps with decent reviews. Not sure if getting Torque Pro is worth the trouble or not

Yup, BtSsm is 100% useles for anything but Subaru.

In your case, Honda, Toyota, Chrysler, Subaru, any other OBD2 compliant car produced in the past 20 years or so... I would recommend OBDLink LX (far better than the ELM327 devices). Works with S5, all Android builds, works with iOS if needed, etc.

Their FREE companion software (OBDLink) is great and very sleek.

Even does Emission Readiness monitors in a user-friendly GUI and per State.

Screenshot_2018-06-30-20-24-40.thumb.png.f22bc40a8690028c44a341b5f3172281.png

Screenshot_2018-06-30-20-24-46.thumb.png.c559fd7cd9bbbf3b2cc8b2b06b45b2f3.png

Screenshot_2018-06-30-20-24-52.thumb.png.bacec77ef40eb8e94ded382ef69a659f.png

For Subarus Torque/Torque Pro are fairly useless and too slow.

...With Torque make sure to set the Protocol right too, not AUTO, else random christmas lights and CAN bus gremlins. No such issues with BtSsm.

Yes I think this is happening with me lol!

Once in a while my dash will light up like Christmas and I would get random communication problems. Common theme is it is usually when I am using Torque Lite as a multi gauge on long trips.

I was beginning to suspect it was related to using Torque.

What settings should I be changing and what should I change them to?

So is the main advantage of the OBDlink LX the speed (claims 4x faster than most) or are there other advantages? I figured the protocols are what they are, and as long as the adapter can access things properly, you would be good to go. I haven't played around with setting up/mapping other PIDs than the standard ones. In Torque and Car Scanner, you can display readiness monitors just fine, as well as quite a few other things - Torque is pretty cool, though it does take a little time to set things up.

The OBDLink software looks to be OBD Fusion (all the images are nominally identical, but the colors are different) - I have found a few scan tool reviews that seem to like that. Torque Pro seems to be the favorite, though.

So is the main advantage of the OBDlink LX the speed (claims 4x faster than most) or are there other advantages? I figured the protocols are what they are, and as long as the adapter can access things properly, you would be good to go. I haven't played around with setting up/mapping other PIDs than the standard ones. In Torque and Car Scanner, you can display readiness monitors just fine, as well as quite a few other things - Torque is pretty cool, though it does take a little time to set things up.

The OBDLink software looks to be OBD Fusion (all the images are nominally identical, but the colors are different) - I have found a few scan tool reviews that seem to like that. Torque Pro seems to be the favorite, though.

OBDLink dongles will work nicely with Torque too of course.

Torque is ok for basics and not much more. Not enough useful data for the LGT or any Subaru, but enough to get a generic sense of any ICE cars health or running behavior.

Torque's setup is a walk in the park compared to what BtSsm requires when fully customized (although out of the box BtSsm Basic mode is already good and requires 0 setup).

Torque, Even in SSM mode, is too slow to be of any use to e/self-tuners or to produce useful logs. For that you need at least 20Hz and ideally closer to 40-60Hz sampling rates with say 20-30 useful PIDs ticking away. In wireless bluetooth or wifi modes, only OBDLink devices coupled with SSM over Kline or SSM over CAN can handle this for Subarus and similarly for other manufacturers E-OBDII over CAN via Torque Pro.

A very useful feature of the OBDLink dongles, is what can be configured to happen when ignition is turned off and you exit Torque or OBDLink software. What this means is you can leave the dongles plugges in at all times and suffer no or minimal phantom/vampire drain on the battery. Not the case with most other dongles. Both Torque Pro and OBDLink, BtSsm apps can also auto turn-on and off your phones bluetooth and pair unpair from the OBDLink dongles, not sure if the ELM chips can do that, havent used one in over a decade.

OK. Yes, we discovered this on here maybe about 7/7.5 years ago.

Its fairly simple, in your car profile toggle the OBD protocol like so for any Subarus in use:

Thanks Perscitus!

I've used this dongle on a lot of other makes and models and this is the first vehicle that it gives problems to lol, so I really had no idea.

Yeah, sadly... CAN bus gremlins, its what makes a Subaru a Subaru.

Any hiccups in the network traffic between BIU ECU EPB, the plethora of sensors and the TCU (if applicable) and its Christmas lights and odd engine, throttle, transmission behavior time.

I am using PLX device with Torque Pro which works fine for normal parameters like boost psi. But the ActiveOBD TQ plugin doesn't seem to export the parameters into torque pro like IAM etc.

Anyone know how to get ActiveOBD TQ configure to show the parameters in Torque Pro. Note both apps have installed successfully.

Have you enabled full access for plugins?

Torque Pro > Settings > Plugins > Allow plugins full access.

Once done, browse the PIDs and you should see some of the ActiveOBD PIDs (E-OBDII PIDs).

Its still a liimited number of slow updating and somewhat useless PIDs, and IAM is the low precision flavor, but at least something.

For the Subaru SSM good stuff and useful monitoring/logging speeds, arm yourself with BtSsm and either a VAG Com K-line cable, BtSsm dongle, OBDLink LX/MX or Tactrix OPv2. Best $15+10 (minimum cost options) you can spend on a 2005-2014 era Subaru... and still fairly good for a 2015-2019.

As I have 2007 LGT, I re look at my PID when I read from my accessport. I am wondering may be my ECU is really only reading the PID that I see which the activeOBD tq doesn't help much since my ECU doesn't read things like CVT temp, IAM (but DAM instead). The thing I want to see if my oil temp. I will go back and check if my ECU read oil temp from Accessport, which I don't recall seeing it.

DAM is IAM so it should be available on both, you should have no problems reading many other useful PIDs (FKC, FLKC, AF Learn/Correct 1 and 3, Boost, Target Boost, Final Fuel Base, CL/OL status, CL fueling target, OL fueling target, VVTi angles, Intake temp, Fuel temp, Oil temp (possibly), OCV duties, OSV duties, Load g/rev, MAFv, MAF g/sec, and many more.

Here is a little taste of what BtSsm gives (depending on MY, engine flavor, ECU/TCU flavor):

Screenshot_2018-07-08-07-23-12.thumb.png.f6a79b94c393d9f3de88123e25f2c7ae.png

Screenshot_2018-07-08-07-23-44.thumb.png.ab5c3e03dc2448f9b01c2ac8c8402895.png

Screenshot_2018-07-08-09-02-42.thumb.png.f8dc7df0d446cca4b7c24ccc90695d5d.png

Umm...do I have to do anything to ActiveOBD TQ other than checking "allow plugins full access"? IAM is grey out and even I check it, it is not available for me add as a display....no option for oil temp, target boost etc.

Anyone can confirm if they ever see IAM is available to add to show in Torque?

May be I will give BtSsm a try . I am not sure it will work with my PLX device.

You might want to take your questions here: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/btssm-bluetooth-adapter-app-v-2-267811p12.html?t=267811&page=12&highlight=btssm

Or email support @ btssm.com re PLX device (Kiwi3?) support.

Yes, you'd need either SSM-over-K-line or SSM-over-CAN support on the hardware side.

You don't need the BtSsm K adpater.

Only a VAG COM K-line cable or Tactrix OP v2 cable

or OBDLink LX, OBDLink MX, etc. all will work with BtSSM app.

Yup, this info is for posterity as I've posted it up maybe 6 times in the past 7 years and it always manages to get lost - while people still turn to Torque Pro for Subarus (at least initially).

Coupling your ODBlink LX/MX with BtSsm or a Tactrix OPv2 with BtSsm

would be a further improvement over anything OBD Doctor offers.

Archived