LegacyGT.com

2020 Legacy

laufu

The new Legacy is coming soon.

Spy shots of a mule driving around Detroit.

The mule has dual exhausts, so there is still hope for the 2.4DIT or even the 2.0DIT. Or the very least the base engine will have dual exhaust like the 2005-2009 Legacies.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2018/06/2020-subaru-legacy-spied-testing-its-new-platform.html

https://www.motor1.com/news/244444/new-subaru-legeacy-spied/

sample pictures from Motor1

Looks like the biggest difference is from B-pillar and back - a lot better headroom in the rear seat compared to the current for the sedan.

A bit funny to see how far back the rear door goes compared to how the person is seated - assuming it's not a dummy. And it almost looks like a hatchback with the rear window going that far back.

Also looks like the nose is a bit more "aggressive" looking with the hood pointing a bit further forward. But the masking might be misleading here. Trunk lid also looks higher, but that's also questionable due to masking.

453747.png

The people drafting the response are clueless.

Its not about 'taking advantage', its about limiting the knock prevention and anticipation strategy from neutering the FA24DIT when running AKI87 or AKI91 (especially in E10 flavors).

If the strategies didn't overreact as much as they do (given the aggressive timing maps and fairly lean to way to rich fueling maps) - then running E0 AKI87 or 91 would be perfectly fine.

However, as-is, even the most common E10 AKI93 will cause a fair bit of IAM, FKC, FLKC, PKC noise and instability. E0 would be better or on the opposite end of the spectrum some E30-50 with flexfuel tune.

S4s and RS4s are passe in this day and age (plus just shadows of their former 1st/2nd gen glory), ICE is dead.

I wouldnt expect anything beyond a detuned FA20/24DIT,

with an abysmal power to weight ratio and gearing set for fuel economy and cruise, not performance. Gadgets, creature comforts and nanny systems, no soul or spirit left.

IcEWolF picked up one of the last decent Subaru cars out there in the US market.

Any regrets on the 18 Legacy, @IcEWoLF

Nope, I love the 3.6R, it has some pep and it’s pretty good getting it up to speed on the highway when merging. The engine doesn’t struggle, and it has been a big upgrade coming from a 2010 2.5i legacy. I wouldn’t trade it in for any cars at this price range for anything else. Just good value.

Nope, I love the 3.6R, it has some pep and it’s pretty good getting it up to speed on the highway when merging. The engine doesn’t struggle, and it has been a big upgrade coming from a 2010 2.5i legacy. I wouldn’t trade it in for any cars at this price range for anything else. Just good value.

That's cool. I'm still trying to wrestle with the cargo vs. no cargo needs. I only really take advantage of the Outback's cargo capacity (over the Legacy) a handful of times a year. I prefer the Legacy's handling and driving dynamics. I would absolutely go for the 3.6 still.

Unfortunately my test drive of the Ascent complicated things a bit. I was hoping to not like it, but it drove great and performed more like the 6 than other Turbo 4's I've driven. But, there's a new engine, new year, etc. So, it's new to all of us, and while an extended warranty will help mitigate risks, it's back to the whole thing about reliability long term of a Turbo 4 vs. an older engine design of the EZ36 - which is also not without some notable issues - there's quite a few posts on the Outback forums about people having timing chain issues and head gasket issues. Sure, any car will have HG issues if it gets too hot.

So, for me it's two decisions:

First, do I need cargo? If not, go for the Legacy 3.6. If I do, consider either the Outback or the Ascent.

Second, do I want a Turbo 4 and the Global Platform, or the 6 with the non-global? If the 6, that puts me in either a Legacy or Outback 3.6 for 2019.

Subaru spent a lot of time developing the turbo 2.4, I’m sure it will be reliable unless you literally drive your car to the ground.

The outback 3.6R touring is nice and has lots of room, while it’s not a 6 or 8 seater it’s pretty damn good and the space inside is very much appreciated.

I think a manual is pretty unlikely... I would guess a turbo is a near certainty since the competition has gone that way - whether or not it's a performance oriented turbocharged engine is the question... will they bring the Legacy GT back into the lineup...

Archived